Concept Spartan Jr: The 8.35L ITX tower case

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Right on…!

Rear 3/4 view now new desktop, so I can see that "No Vents Needed" top panel…!!

Excitement…!!!

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I haven't widened the case yet to fit taller cards, but that seems inevitable.

So, 140mm fans up front & 92mm fans out back…?

Dang; just realized that, even with the slight increase in dimensions, the 92mm fans for exhaust would not fit & the 140mm fans might crowd the power button…

Oh well, dual 120mm fans for intake & dual 80mm fans for exhaust will still definitely do the job…!

Last edited:

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Final late night ramble…

If the chassis depth was increased to accommodate the Zotac GTX 1080 Mini, then the subsequent gap between the MB tray & intake fans (about 4 to 5 cm) could be utilized as cable management with 3 or 4 of these placed as needed; if one assembled in a specific order & plan ahead, the 7cm version could be placed & populated with cables prior to installing the front fans…

http://www.icemodz.eu/store/#!/Cable-management/c/5474654/offset=16&sort=normal

Remember to Spring Forward, US denizens…!

D_McG

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Dec 17, 2016
Any news / progress / updates on this chassis…?!?
No news to report. Have not been able to work on it recently, and I'm traveling this weekend.

To be completely honest, I will most likely finish the 10.7" E-ATX compatible Spartan before Spartan Jr. as I already own two NCASE M1's. The GTX 1080-ti is peaking my interest, and my EVGA 1060 SC is already in a case. I thought a half-sized version of Spartan would be nice for the 1060 and Nano cards; but there seems to be interest in deeper and wider cases for bigger GPUs; which is ironic to me for SFF.

My non-SFF Cooler Master HAF XM comes in at 77.4 liters and I think I can shrink that down by 50 liters and still have SLI between two 1080 ti's.

Reactions: Biowarejak and Boil

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
I thought a half-sized version of Spartan would be nice for the 1060 and Nano cards; but there seems to be interest in deeper and wider cases for bigger GPUs; which is ironic to me for SFF.

Only need wider for the 1070 series ITX sized GPUs…

Only need deeper (and slightly wider) for the 1080 "Mini" GPU…

Even if sizing up to fit the Zotac 1080 Mini, I still think the chassis could come in between 11.25 & 12 liters…

That would be either 150mm width x 250mm depth x 300mm height (11.25 liters)

Or…

160mm width x 250mm depth x 300 mm height (12 liters)

Of all the 'boutique' chassis being worked on in these forums, I feel the Spartan Jr. has the best cooling design of the lot…!

Dual 120mm fans intake, room for a quality CPU cooler, dual 80mm fans exhaust…

Hoping this may come to fruition some day…!

Reactions: D_McG

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Revisiting this thread because I still dream of a proper mini-tower (with a proper cable management zone behind the motherboard tray) designed specifically for mITX/mDTX motherboards, ITX-length GPUs, & SFX / SFX-L PSUs...

The biggest thing I see holding this back is the dearth of proper ITX-length GPUs; and, for watercooling, the lack of full-cover waterblocks for said ITX-length GPUs...

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018
Revisiting this thread because I still dream of a proper mini-tower (with a proper cable management zone behind the motherboard tray) designed specifically for mITX/mDTX motherboards, ITX-length GPUs, & SFX / SFX-L PSUs...

The biggest thing I see holding this back is the dearth of proper ITX-length GPUs; and, for watercooling, the lack of full-cover waterblocks for said ITX-length GPUs...
Any plans to include the zotac mini cards for compatibility? (~210-215mm)