Soldering 6-pin power to Zotac 1050 mini?

ImmaculateDoge

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 24, 2018
So an idea came to mind when I was examining the PCB of a Zotac 1050 Mini. This card has no extra power input, drawing all its power from the mobo. But on the PCB there is a place where a 6-pin connector could easily be soldered.

Would the card accept power from a power cable with no further mods, if a connector were added? Has anybody tried this?

If it works, one would have more freedom to mod the bios to accept more power. Admittedly this is a bit over the top for such a pitiful GPU but it could be a fun way to spend a weekend squeezing some FPS from a low-end card. Thoughts?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I would NOT recommend you do this.

The GTX 1050ti runs perfectly fine off the 75w provided by the PCIe lanes and it consumers more power than your GTX 1050.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
I would NOT recommend you do this.

The GTX 1050ti runs perfectly fine off the 75w provided by the PCIe lanes and it consumers more power than your GTX 1050.

Also, it is nearly impossible to mod the GTX 10xx series BIOS

ImmaculateDoge

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jun 24, 2018
Some googling didn't turn up any viable 1050 BIOSes. You're right, even BIOSes for the higher end SKUs are sparse.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Some googling didn't turn up any viable 1050 BIOSes. You're right, even BIOSes for the higher end SKUs are sparse.

I looked into this because I was trying to get a custom fan curve on my 1050ti (set the minimum below what the manufacturer specifies as I'm using aftermarket fans). Apparently editing the 9xx series BIOS was do-able but they really locked down the 10 series.