Power Supply So I'm interested in these little chip PSU's...

AstroWan

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 14, 2016
So I like the design of these chip psu (like the HDPLEX HiFi 300w) but I don't really know a lot about them of what kind of sorts are available. I'm interested in acquiring one or two to run a system with a 6800k and 1080ti with the concept of possibly adding a small 120mm to the cpu and gpu (maybe a 240mm for cpu for overclocking reasons). I was wondering if anyone knew it was possible and/or if you have any recommendations that could fit this bill. I'm really looking to learn a lot more from this nifty piece of tech.

TheDreamingMonk

Average Stuffer
Sep 17, 2016
Nvidia has the GPU power draw rated around 250w, paired with a 140w Intel CPU... you may be out of luck even running them stock on the HDPlex 300w, let alone with any overclock. Granted the HDPLEX 300w can run a little more wattage than it's name suggests, with the right power brick, but I'm not sure you're going to get that much out of it.

1080ti with a 95w CPU has been done, but not with an overclock ( that I'm aware of ).

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The KMPKT Dynamo will be able to run that combo no problems if you get both an HDPlex 300W AC-DC and 160W AC-DC to do the AC-DC portion of things.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You can hook the 160W up to the 160W DC-ATX unit I am having done and the 300W up to the Dynamo. They can be synced for power on/off via a 2 pin cable specifically designed for the purpose. I am also looking at having a small power addition unit made to merge two power supplies into a single line that would just flow into the Dynamo so that load is completely distributed across both units.