Completed SMPL - 3.9L Case "Ikea-Style"

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Alright, one day of tinkering done. I`m still without a power switch but I consider the panels as 90% done. I might change the side panel designs.

Left to right: front - back - top - bottom

Left to right: mainboard tray - cpu side panel - gpu side panel

Reactions: Argofisto

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
And the next update is coming.

I was changing the design of the top, bottom and side panels slightly. The side panels are 3mm now, just to be safe. I found a power button too (just hoping it will fit nicely and not interfering with the gpu). I planned to add a front usb type a conenctor but I did struggle to find an offer for single type a connector to motherboard header. I could have gotten those dual connectors but those were too long and I cant be bothered to shorten them myself tbh. Finally, I`ll get some simple rubber/plastic adhesive case feet.

Now its time to look for someone who is laser cutting those panels. I will ask those guys where I got my prototype made but I want to get more offers for comparison. I will get the panels cut from clear acrylic. Reason is, that I want to see the edges when I am glueing/welding those panels togther. Using black acrylic, I cannot see those edges and check for air bubbles that may compromise the weld.

I guess I can look into painting, or vinyl wrapping or any other method of "coloring" the case too. Very high on my list is wrapping with a brushed aluminium look vinyl. Additionally, I found a site where I can get my own vinyl made using my own pictures/designs/patterns. It seems well priced.

Lets see...

Last edited:
Reactions: aromachi

edwinbradford

Caliper Novice
Apr 22, 2020
I agree with you about "pancake" cases or console style cases. Horizontally the footprint is too great so users tend to place them vertically which then necessitates feet to prevent them from falling over and you start questioning the logic. The more I look at SFF case design the more I think most of the problems stem from graphics card formats not matching motherboard formats. Somehow you have to get this nice ITX motherboard format to fit with a completely different graphics card format.

I would love to attempt a case design myself but at the moment it's a lot easier to follow someone else ?. Maybe I'll get into one of the software packages and have a go but it won't be the near future sadly. I read this software is good for manufacturing. I saw your latest post about finishing materials, now I'm intrigued to see what the final finish will be.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Nice updates. I prefer sticking with 3mm for most of the frame for structural reasons. The 2mm can be used for side panels, cheaper to cut which will allow all sorts of venting patterns. I haven't tried welding acrylic pieces together, only with screws, but in vertical position you shouldn't have any flexing with the spine or top and bottom.

To go with metal, you do have to pay a higher cost up front, but there are places that let you automatically submit design files and calculate the cost for you (as long as the designs meet the guidelines for cutting). They are set up to handle any arbitrary requests for online orders and batch them with others', so you might be able to save some money there. The only sites I can think of are Big Blue Saw, Fractory, and Send Cut Send and I don't know if any of them would ship to where you are in Germany. I think Fractory would be a safe bet, though, because they price everything in euros and pre-calculate VAT for you.

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
To go with metal, you do have to pay a higher cost up front, but there are places that let you automatically submit design files and calculate the cost for you (as long as the designs meet the guidelines for cutting). They are set up to handle any arbitrary requests for online orders and batch them with others', so you might be able to save some money there. The only sites I can think of are Big Blue Saw, Fractory, and Send Cut Send and I don't know if any of them would ship to where you are in Germany. I think Fractory would be a safe bet, though, because they price everything in euros and pre-calculate VAT for you.

Wow, thank you for those recommendations. Making a v2 of my case from aluminium requires a complete redesign because I would like to have that unibody/bent case design. I`ll keep that in mind but for now, I am going with the acrylic version :)
What I am askin myself since yesterday, can you make an aluminium case as close to a commercial grade manufactured one as possible, just by yourself at home without using fancy tools like cnc machines or laser cutter. Only working with manual tools like a drill press, rotary tool, file etc. THAT would be an interesting challenge :cool:

But I really don't know if and when I would tackle such a project. At least not in the near future.

troybot

Average Stuffer
Sep 6, 2018
If you check the builds section of the forum there is someone who made their own by cutting metal:
https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/8-4l-sfx-custom-built-case.13991/

Plus myself and a few others have laser cut metal (nothing with bends though)

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
That is awesome, thanks for that!
It seems using those mounting cubes is quite popular. I have some too but they take up too much space in my small case.
I'm astonished how active and huge that scratch build community is and what awesome results can be achieved outside commercial production.

Coming to my project, I am facing some issues I should have thougt about it earlier. I am considering using specific (smaller) mounting cubes for my side panels too but they just get sold in high volume like min. 100 pieces. Well I just need eight and that is screwing me now totally. I have found a couple sellers that are ok with selling me just eight pieces but they ask for horrendous shipping fees that are higher than the value of my purchase by a lot!

Additionally, some laser cutting services seem to have increased their prices a lot too. Some even have no capacity and have to stall (I dont know if thats the right word) my order for some time while asking for a much higher price. Just to show what I have to deal with... Getting my prototype done was around 38€ including shipping. Now some are asking for 130 to 160€. Those guys who made my prototype did not come back to me yet though. I guess we all know why this explosion is happening maybe.

I may have to wait some time, till this madness will chill down a bit. Thats really unfortunate because I really want that case to be done, since I dont have a case at all and its meant to be my main case! XD

Reactions: Marbolite

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Small update!

The second revision and I hope the final one has arrived. I really hope that I havnt done any stupid mistakes like in the prototype, where the bottom panel didnt fit due to some mesuring errors on my side!

I wont unbox/build it yet because all the small parts (screws, mounting blocks and power button) are still missing. I havnt decided yet on the outer design (paint or vinyl wrap). When I get everything, I will post a series of pictures on the final build of the case itself and the final PC.

I am really nervous, if all my calculations with space and cut outs were right. Just for a heads up, if this build is mostly a success, I might get into the process of designing a version 2 out of metal (steel or aluminium). But this is going to be a longer process for sure. Until then, this will be my main case.
A final overview of what I have spent for everything is coming at the very end.

Edit: I will change the status from "prototype" to "production" since I do regard this case as the final version. I want to be clear though: this is a one-off project! It's not meant to be commercially available!

So, keep your eyes peeled in the upcoming weeks.

Cheers.

Last edited:

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
All parts have arrived! I could assemble the whole case now but before I am going to do that, I want to decide on the paint/vinyl wrap. Actually, I already decided on using vinyl wrap but I'm really between some option where I would like to here your options about

Option 1: Honey comb structure as a contrast to the round triangular shaped cutouts in the case panels

Option 2: Carbon structure with blue/purple colour effect, depending on the position of the light hitting the vinyl wrap

Option 3: Simple brushed steel look. Brushed aluminium is way too bright/silver for my taste. It's even too bright on the picture. Could be more dark grey.

I'm looking forward for your opinions or other recommendations :)

Last edited:

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
first option is really nice ! :D
I agree. I think a neutral colour with structure will be more "timeless". I have ordered a different wrap already though. All hexagons would be too "aggressive" in my opinion, so I opted for this one:

I am planning to assemble everything and posting my final resume on this project on saturday or sunday (excluding my power solution; this will take some more time).

Lux

Cable Smoosher
Aug 8, 2020
Awesome project! I'm really interested to see how that vinyl wrap turns out. I'm also designing a case mostly from acrylic but it never occurred to me vinyl was even an option for finishing. Good work and best of luck.

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Quick note: The power solution is done as well. I am using the Pico 160xt + Adaptec 192w/12v power supply only. With the aforementioned hardware, the max system power draw I saw while gaming (well rendering might push the power draw higher I gues but I don't do render stuff) was around 170w under load.

I soldered the DC/ATX directly to the 4pin minidin connector as well as the 6pin PCI-E power cable for the GPU. The GPU is shutting down, when I shut down the system.
No continuous fan spin!

3.9L case with RX580 level of performance and 6 core CPU at 160-170w total system power draw... it just blows my mind :cool: :thumb:

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Not yet. I dont see a good reason actually. Creating a basic scetch is a matter of minutes. What takes quite some time is the thought process on how to design the case with your ideas and implementing it into your design. You may end up deleting most of my design choices to make room for yours. So what you end up with is mostly a basic scetch which takes just minutes.

If you want to do a 2D design (as I did), I recommend inkscape (freeware).

Happy designing :D

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Some small update.

I have changed the design a bit, to allow more space between the cpu and gpu fans. The side panels were too close to the fans, so turbulances occured and therefore noice. Now the spacing is fine and the noice of the system is pretty much the same without side panels. Changed the side panels thickness from 3mm to 2mm and this is really fine. It is not bending too much (other than my motherboard which is warped like hell).

Here a quick list of all changes:
  • reduced motherboard standoffs from 7mm to 4mm
  • middle section is not solid any more. Its only a frame, to allow better pcie riser cable routing and cable routing in general
  • different vent hole design + more venting area for cpu/gpu fans
  • added front usb 3.0 support (maybe front audio could have fit as well)
  • changes in rear gpu cutouts to make the installation process easier
What did not change while chaning the design a bit:
  • dual psu support for future gpu upgrades that require a second minibox 160xt psu (only for gpu)
  • overall measurements of 190x190x110mm = approx 3.9L outside volume (not including feet) - that was very important, to stay below 4L
  • modded pico 160xt to accommodate an additional 6pin gpu power connector (still no issues while gaming and general use beside of some games that spike a lot and give me a power reset. Here I just lower the gpu power limit to 90%)
  • pc hardware did not change since original post.

The case still needs some vinyl wrapping and the power button needs to be wired up. I will take some more pictures when I start wrapping that case but for now I couldnt be bothered to take out all parts. Building a system in that case requires some patience.

Reactions: SFFMunkee

edwinbradford

Caliper Novice
Apr 22, 2020
Difficult to know where to start... how about starting with possibly my favourite case design ever period 😍. The first revision didn't feel like an Ikea aesthetic to me but this revision is just superb.

I think it's a shame to wrap it with vinyl personally. Given your design direction is Ikea that suggests honesty about allowing the material to be seen to me. Ikea have lots of well designed plastic products, there's no shame in being acrylic at all. Also if I had to choose I think I'd go for the opaque acrylic rather than the transparent acrylic but if I think of Ikea or Muji they use both.

I'm curious, if you dropped it do you think it would survive as well or better than an aluminium case? In theory plastic should be an ideal light weight tough material for a case. Anyway it was worth the effort you put into a second revision, it's really paid off.

My only criticism might be the feet. I can't see them clearly but I don't think they need to be acrylic and it would have been nice to see some nice metal conical feet or something more refined if I'm allowed to say so 😄 .

Advokatrix

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Dec 29, 2017
Thanks a lot 😁

Well, the opaque side panels are actually transparent. I left the plasic foil on for now 😆 Well, acrylic is never as sturdy as aluminium. The latter will at least bend before breaking. Acrylic panels are breaking right away. If I would drop the case, it would break. Of course depending, if it lands on a corner or on a flat side. But in general, it is very solid. Due to the "welding" with that liquid solvent, it is practically fused together. It survived some tipping over etc. easily. The last revision travelled with me couple of times in a hiking backpack, wrapped in a towel. No issues there. I think a towel wasnt needed at all but I like to care about my stuff a bit more.

I agree on the feet. I was choosing those rubbery feet for vibration reasons. I was not sure if some vibrations might occur from fan turbulances creating some vibrations (well it does not). I just recycled them from my last revision, as well as the small metal mounting parts for the side panels and the power button of course.

I would like to achieve a total volume of around 3.5L, which might be possible. But I need to make it out of metal to shave off those mm that the acrylic panels add. Additionally, the pcie riser is quite thick and stiff. Need some better and lighter alternative to what I have now. The side panel spacings to the fans need to be much closer too. And they need a proper redesign not to create that turbulance noice again. In the end, the mounting of the mainboard and the GPU needs to be improved too. Much to do to achieve that 3.5L mark and than its not that "ikea panel-style" design/build anymore. I just settle for that under 4L mark.

But a metal design is very intriguing, tbh. 😋 There are commercial alternatives though, e.g. from Custom_Mod. Buying that would be faaaaaar cheaper! If I ask someone for laser cutting and bending, it would cost couple of hundrets. To make it cheaper, I have to make everything by hand and than it is still expensive because I dont have the proper tools for that sadly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

edwinbradford

Caliper Novice
Apr 22, 2020
All the more kudos for what you've achieved on a limited budget with limited tools, it's one thing to make a decent case with unlimited funds but it's another thing entirely to do so on a budget. Personally the fact that you say acrylic is not as strong doesn't phase me, it really is the design direction that matters, I worked briefly with acrylic in the past and it was just curiosity.

If or when you replace the feet it could have a big impact overall, it's not that they stand out as an eyesore, it's just something that could be an easy win. Hopefully there are off the shelf products at a reasonable price that will look great if you can source them.

The updates you're thinking of making sound great but it feels like this is the model you were aiming towards and beyond this point it will be refinements. IKEA should make this case 😄 or someone else should mass produce it. I have some of these kinds of storage boxes. I think the material being used is polypropylene? Super tough and as strong or stronger than my aluminium PC case but I imagine it has to be produced industrially.

Yes I've looked through all the Custom Mod case designs, they have some interesting cases and I admire their range of output but they don't enthuse me as much as your design, it should be in an art gallery on a plinth 😍.

Reactions: Soul_Est