Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
BINGO!

R7 1700X successfully OC on air at 3.9Ghz and RAM @3467Mhz..:D

And wall of 1700 exceeded on cinebench..:)

Reactions: Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Nicely done, that's some impressive memory speed.

I'm not sure if it would be of any interest to you but the Smallformfactor.net HWBot team is seeking addition users to submit benchmark results ;) (Link to forum thread)
You can count on me...:)
Somewhere in my past I was used to OC everything I had...but since my switch to mini itx around 2011 I mostly stopped that..:)

But using my Nano² setup and now my "precious" Cerberus-X with Ryzen 7, it's a pleasure to join the team..:D

Reactions: Phuncz and 3lfk1ng

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, well, here is a major update of my "sweet" Ryzen 7 1700X setup..:)

Here is the setup updated :
  • Motherboard : Asus Crosshair VI Hero
  • CPU : AMD Ryzen R7 1700X
  • RAM : G.Skill Flare-X 3200Mhz C14 (Samsung b-dies)
  • GPU : MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X
  • Storage : M.2 nvme Samsung 950 Pro
  • PSU : SFX Corsair SF600
  • CPU cooler : noctua C14S (using AM3) + dual NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM intake (cpu cleaned with Artic Cleaner)
  • Thermal Paste : Grizzly Kryonaut
  • Bottom fans (Intake) : dual fractal design venturi HP-12 PWM
  • Rear fan (exhaust) : Noctua NF-A9 PWM
Compared to previous setup, I can confirm you can use MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X without any low profile cable. SLI is also easy to do in Cerberus-X with MSI GAMING X cards.

BEWARE, BEWARE, after this line you will witness ULTIMATE AIR CPU cooler for Cerberus-X..:D

Clearly Noctua C14S, with dual 140 PPC @2000rpm is bulky..:D
Good news is that I have enough high clearance to still use Flare-X with dual fan! Without saying that RAM is pretty damn cooled!
On back panel I'm still using NF-A9 as it has short cable, very handy for cable management. Also its brown color is not too disturbing as side bracket is masking it..:)

I've put 140mm fan on side bracket for 2 reasons :
  1. Side bracket is stiffening the whole case steel frame (without it I found case a bit too flimsy)
  2. Side bracket is perfectly aligned with side panel vents (maximasing intake flow)
Here is the result with MSI GTX 1070 GAMING X installed :

I've a lot improved cable management compared to previous build. Now case is cleaned, and I like final result.

There is also enough space to do any sli setup, even with SFX-L psu.

I've also added some pci vented brackets (as one provided with pre-serial production are quite dull..:))

Complete tour : Front

Back panel :

To finish in beauty, here is a closed look at this gougeous NF-A14...

As a direct result, I was able to improve my overclocking completely stable up to 4.02Ghz @1.45v and RAM 3520mhz @ 1.40v (Ok, ok, I'm unable to cold boot with this OC..:))...but one mystery remains is CPU temperature. Between t°j or tCTL, I'm seeing all kind of informations..:) My next goal is now chasing this damn CPU temperature.

Here are some results coming directly from joining SFF team on HWbot.org

GPUPI 1B is using OpenCL to use all threads on Ryzen. Average power drawed from wall during benchmark : 170W

Cinebench R11.5 is making screaming my fans. Average power drawed from wall during benchmark : 250W!!

Super PI 32M is mostly more threaded. I was forced to increase my vcore to 1.45v to avoid any mistakes. Average power drawed from wall during benchmark : 140W

And to finish here is a Whoppy score on cinebench R15 (250w drawed from wall...)

I hope you will enjoy this topic..:D
I'll continue to share any new stuff..:)

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The Noctua C14S is a really good fit, I'll need to get one when the Cerberus-X ships. How cool & quiet does it stay during load ?

Reactions: VegetableStu

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
The Noctua C14S is a really good fit, I'll need to get one when the Cerberus-X ships. How cool & quiet does it stay during load ?
Well it's related to my temperature monitoring issue : on ryzen master i have something like 60-70 under heavy oc on load...and it's above 80 on ai suite 3.

C6h is still buggy on cpu temperature monitor.

Edit : it's part of my next study..:)

VisualStim

Master of Cramming
Mar 6, 2017
Im pretty sure Im going Cerberus X for 2x R9 290X cards. Show us a full size PSU in there.

My SF600 can't handle the two cards :/

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Very nice results on the OC. If no one releases an enthusiast mATX board for Am4 by the time Cerberus ships maybe the X is in my future as well. Sweet build and I love big air vs an Aio personally.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Im pretty sure Im going Cerberus X for 2x R9 290X cards. Show us a full size PSU in there.

Well cf is pretty limited, far more than sli i regret, as compatibility is pretty restricted to very few games (worse than sli)

Very nice results on the OC. If no one releases an enthusiast mATX board for Am4 by the time Cerberus ships maybe the X is in my future as well. Sweet build and I love big air vs an Aio personally.
Well i went to cerberus-x simply because you can have the best ATX motherboards...it's simply a no brainer as Cerberus-X is very compact and provides very nice cooling and style..:)

Reactions: TheHig

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

I've been running with two R9 290X cards for about a month and a half with the 800W Silverstone SX800-LTI, I've not seen any issues. Though I haven't overclocked any component.

Reactions: MarcParis