Log SMALLEST ATX CASE : CERBERUS-X (Complete build log)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
SF750 just installed.

Compared to SX700/750 wires (flat, unsleeved), individual sleeved cable of SF750 are easier to rout/manage.

Otherwise, compared to my early SF600 Gold, SF750 is way quieter and its fan management is clearly improved (ramp up & down well following load).

So far, so good...now I can hear better my RTX3090 "OKish" coil whine lol..:D (always the same issue with power hungry GPU, hopefully RTX3090 coil whine is far away from my R9 290X...:))

Joke aside, I'll continue testings when I'll have more time

Reactions: Uruk and rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Thought I would post this for you @MarcParis, someone on Reddit had the exact same problem as you.

Edit: apparently the SX750 isn't the only one with problems.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update 20th December 2020 : Taming RTX 3090 FE!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At last, I managed to have enough time to finally test in details my RTX 3090 FE, inside my Cerberus-X.

My first trial was to keep previous setup, with front SFX PSU & C14S CPU cooler setup as intake (top & rear fans as exhasut) :

With those settings, RTX 3090 FE is delivering its full potential (GPU temperature is reaching 71°C during long gaming session with 350W power usage), however its fans never stopped to speed up till 1800rpm which is loud. This is clearly translating that GPU is exhausting more hot air than my setup is able to remove from case.

Thus, like back to 2017 (nothing new, even before serial release of Cerberus..:)), I'm back to full exhaust mode on CPU cooler!
Aircooling strikes back! This setup is providing BEST GPU cooling through maximizing hot air exhaust! (Update : 10th September 2017)

With this setup, RTX 3090 FE is stablizing at 1600 rpm @70°C.
R7 3800X@4.3Ghz fan curve needed some tweaks but it's sitting @70°C during heavy gaming load..;)

Main lesson learned : Side Exhaust is the key to tame very toasty GPU, like RTX 3090 FE!
Rear 92mm AIO is clearly viable solution for gaming solution (as already mentionned). Only downside is that 645LT radiator is a bit too thick to be compatible while using side bracket. My custom 92mm AIO was compatible however.

This combo of Rear 92mm custom AIO and side exhaust 120mm fan should be quite effective...might give another trial...wait & see..:)

Like usual, here is a first draft performance from RTX 3090 FE in Gears 5 (Hive busters DLC is pretty good..:))

Here are additional notes related to this setup :
  • Did I already mentionned audio quality of my Crosshair VI hero?...Yes I did I have to insist on this point...:D Loved output (when properlly paired with speakers/headset)..:D
  • Corsair SF750 is clearly delivering all promises (pleasant surprise after epic fail of SX750 faulty fan control)...so far so good!

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Update 22nd December 2020 : Taming RTX 3090 FE part II, upgrade!

First of all, I continued my testings with exhaust mode on C14S on discovered that RTX 3090 FE was sitting more at 70°C at 1600 rpm average...still a progress versus intake C14S but not as much as stated.
On top of that, CPU temperature was constantly in lower 70°C (with constant up & down on my NF-A14...I'm so eager to get Sterrox 140cm).

Based on those experiments, I decided to try again 92mm rear AIO.
I started with my custom 92mm AIO (rear intake)...however after 2 hours of work I decided to disassemble it completely. At the end, fittings proved to be leaking (alphacool cpu block mounting system, like Swiftech, aren't great at all...). Paper towels is watercooling best friend..:)

Thus I tried Asetek 645 LT...I powered it on outside the case to check & shake it..:) Shaking proved to HUGE benefit as I heard air bubbles moving from cpu block to built-in reservoir (included on radiator)...at my BIG (& pleasant) surprise 645LT pump noise (I was reporting previously) is no longer a issue.
I must admit that fittings & tubings (strong & flexible) on 645LT are way superior to my custom version.

Here is final result :

I tested this setup with Gears 5 (chap 1 hive busters) and I was reaching 1600rpm on RTX 3090 FE quite quickly (same as "exhaust" C14S).
However CPU temperature, while gaming, has improved to higher 60°C. (insead of lower 70°C)

Issue with 645LT is that side bracket rivets (back side) are bumping into radiator, by default (you can see on previous photos scratches of paint on 645LT radiator). Side panel is not fitting.

Thus I decided to file all 4 rivets back side (sorry don't know exactly wording)
Quite easy, rather inexpensive & quick process. You just need to avoid to remove coating..:) (just made tiny scratches..:))

With this small mod, I was able to put back side bracket with no issue!

Best news with this mod is thermal & noise results :
  • RTX 3090 FE is sitting 95% of time at around 1300rpm @67°C in benchmark passage (chap 1 hive buster Gears 5)
  • R7 3800X OC 4.3Ghz & RAM @3800MTS : CPU is clearly in the sixties °C!

I'm finishing with the cherry on the top : pure CPU cooling capabilities of this 645LT...

Here is updated summary of my cpu cooler benchmarks (from message : C14S : return of the king:
  • Overclocked R7 3800X 4.3Ghz @1.3125v RAM @ 3800MTS (Asetek 645LT Intake, Side Exhaust) :
    • IBT 2.54 Very High : 915.72sec
    • Max temperature : 78.9°C
    • Max CPU Package Power : 120.03W
  • Overclocked R7 3800X 4.3Ghz @1.3125v RAM @ 3800MTS (Noctua C14S Push/Pull Intake) :
    • IBT 2.54 Very High : 915.80sec
    • Cinebench R20 (multi) : 5120
    • Max temperature : 73.9°C
    • Max CPU Package Power : 119.23W
  • Overclocked R7 3800X 4.3Ghz @1.3125v RAM @ 3800MTS (customed 92mm watercooling, push/pull) :
    • IBT 2.54 Very High : 917.12sec
    • Max temperature : 79.5°C
    • Max CPU Package Power : 118.33W

Asetek 645LT is not beating "Intake" C14S...obviously...but it's only 5°C hotter vs overclocked R7 3800X! (I did run 2 times IBT VH profil twice to make it sure)
As annoying pump noise is today removed (thanks to gentle shaking while powered on), I have to declare this setup as best gaming setup for Cerberus case, providing best GPU cooling (almost as if it was on open bench table with RTX 3090FE & strong CPU cooling either under gaming load or pure processing!

My only request will be to @KSliger @shadowfear : please improve rivet finish on Cerberus series to be compatible with rear AIO by default.

I'll continue my testings and let you know!

PS : Screenshot of IBT 2.54 VH test :

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Hey @MarcParis , this is an awesome build!

You seem to have a lot of experience with different models of SFX power supplies so I hope you don't mind me hijacking your topic to ask you this question:

I'm building a case that can house both SFX and SFX-L power supplies. I'm looking for the quietest model of about 600w but I'm reading mixed things about most SFX-L models. Would you reckon the SF600 platinum would be the best option, depsite its 92mm fan?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hey @MarcParis , this is an awesome build!

You seem to have a lot of experience with different models of SFX power supplies so I hope you don't mind me hijacking your topic to ask you this question:

I'm building a case that can house both SFX and SFX-L power supplies. I'm looking for the quietest model of about 600w but I'm reading mixed things about most SFX-L models. Would you reckon the SF600 platinum would be the best option, depsite its 92mm fan?
No issue.
Yes SF600 platinum is a really great...Only remaining point I need to check on my sample is longevity.

Vs SFX-L...well Seasonic focus 650w/Fractal Ion 650w (both seasonic) are also great..:)

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Best news (at least today) regarding 42" OLED TV panel in 2021 with some works on 20-30" size

That could lead to true breakthrough in "Monitor" market...wait & see

Breeze

What's an ITX?
New User
Jan 23, 2021
Hey Marc,

I've browsed your thread with interest as I'm embarking on a Cerberus X build myself. Trying to square away my final questions.

One thing I think you might have insight on: Are there any pros or cons to the right-side panel being vented vs. unvented?

To me it looks like it won't make much different in temperature or noise, since the motherboard backplate is mostly solid and the motherboard itself will block the hole that does exist in it...

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Hey Marc,

I've browsed your thread with interest as I'm embarking on a Cerberus X build myself. Trying to square away my final questions.

One thing I think you might have insight on: Are there any pros or cons to the right-side panel being vented vs. unvented?

To me it looks like it won't make much different in temperature or noise, since the motherboard backplate is mostly solid and the motherboard itself will block the hole that does exist in it...
Thanks for posting and your interest!

For right panel, on current Cerberus-X version, the only difference I see could be on mini ITX motherboard, to cool m.2 slot.
If you are using micro ATX or ATX motherboard, I see no interest to go for vented right panel.

Maybe in the future version (similar to S620), it could be worth to have vented right panel to exhaust more GPU heat...but it's a big IF..:)

Reactions: Breeze

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Well, Silverstonetek had answered me on SX1000 release video (youtube) about SX750 bad fan management.

Basically, avoid v1.0 of SX750...and go for 1.1..:)

However right now...due to global semi conductor market...no powerful SFX PSU are available (in France..:))

sn0man

Trash Compacter
Jan 10, 2020
Marc, that is really annoying. Sorry you have to deal with that. Hopefully that will mean that if a user does order a SX750 that it will be the 1.1 with proper fan info.

Has the SF750 treated you well? I have a Ryzen 3600, an NVME storage drive, 2 sticks of ram, and an EVGA GTX 1080 all running through the okay but not great SF600 Gold. For my future 3080 (maybe 4080 by the time I can find a 3080 FE) I was thinking I should upgrade the power supply. I think I'm okay based on a load calculator I used, but still nervous.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Apr 1, 2016
Marc, that is really annoying. Sorry you have to deal with that. Hopefully that will mean that if a user does order a SX750 that it will be the 1.1 with proper fan info.

Has the SF750 treated you well? I have a Ryzen 3600, an NVME storage drive, 2 sticks of ram, and an EVGA GTX 1080 all running through the okay but not great SF600 Gold. For my future 3080 (maybe 4080 by the time I can find a 3080 FE) I was thinking I should upgrade the power supply. I think I'm okay based on a load calculator I used, but still nervous.
For now SF750 has been great with my setup (RTX 3090), nothing to complain.
I’m checking Cooler master v850 sfx, however it will soon lose its fanless feature, as it struggles on some specific workloads (fan alternate max speed with standard one).

I still need to check if my sx-800 lti is not working with RTX 3090 FE