Tri-Bay NUC M.2 NAS

BikingViking11

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
So, did you think I'd faded into the woodwork? (Woodwork, because I'm a woodworker...get it? OK, back to work...)

I did indeed get the roof done and just in time. While it's a HUGE relief to finally have a reliably dry workspace, that only started the real work. You saw how rough and raw it was, well, some of my peers even said they would've torn it down and started over, not me. I had to do it the hard, slow way. I've been reworking the framing from the inside to add more insulation as I can afford it while also maintaining the ability to livestream. Well, the 10-year-old lightning-struck hardware hasn't been keeping up with the stream and is dropping frames, so what do I do? Yep, built a new PC. I'd share it here but it is far from SFF. The new rig is a full ATX so I have enough slots for USB quad-host cards for all the cameras I run. I even built it with a Ryzen 5 2400G just to save a slot for cards. Since it's in a potentially dusty environment I wracked my brain for a cooling solution that wouldn't freeze in the unheated space and finally settled on fanless. It's built on a Thermaltake Core P5 open air case to take the most advantage of convection cooling and is mounted on a cross beam to keep it out of harm's way when doing woodworking projects and pulls down on a gas shock assisted mount designed for TVs mounted above fireplaces when I need to work on it.

After getting about that far, cabling has become the issue. Today I installed a bunch of custom brackets for a bunch of custom camera booms for cameras mounted to the ceiling. Next I'll be routing and running all the USB cables after already redoing all the temporary power cables with heavy duty distribution cords, separating power from lighting circuits and a whole lot more before the new PC is in action. Maybe, just maybe after I get all of that settled I can think about pulling out all the NAS project stuff and get busy with it again. As predicted, M.2 SSD prices have come down even further so the delay has just made it more feasible. Believe me, I'd rather be working on this project, but the dream of a clean, finished, well-lit, organized, comfortable and very flexible work space is an enticing enchantress. My apologies fellow enthusiasts, sorry, not sorry.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I was wondering where you had gone! Looking forward to the continuation of this project + pics of the improvements to your garage :)

• Love
Reactions: BikingViking11

BikingViking11

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Feb 10, 2019
I was wondering where you had gone! Looking forward to the continuation of this project + pics of the improvements to your garage :)
Well, since you asked...

Lots of boards had to be replaced.

I've been working on cleaning up this mess from the inside.

The new computer is mounted on the beam for a few reasons, such as it makes for the shortest cable run for all the cameras mounted on the ceiling, keeps it out of the way when doing woodworking projects and also happens to be the best location for coverage of the wireless mic receiver, wireless mouse and keyboard. It's mounted low enough and turned on edge to reach the "front" panel controls without pulling it down (well, it does if you're tall...and I'm 6'-3") and puts the rear I/O facing up so it will be easy to swag the cables allowing it to be pulled down.

It's been a long time since I've seen this bench. It was covered with leaves, debris from the roof demo and lots of random crap since it was a catch-all.

It's a very different space from where it started...and will still be changing a lot.

Last edited:

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
I may have .01 knowledge then. Seriously, this is my first attempt at a NAS. Had to lose a lot of data over the years to finally invest in one.

If only they'd heeded that 30-year lifespan on the shingles. Well, that and not rented to questionable folks that had other interests than myself in the space.

I've done quite a bit of work to it in a couple years.

I look at all that and only see how much there is still to do.

I love your bike, I have a very similar one!

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
That's actually my wife's bike, but yeah, it's sweet! I work on all sorts and have quite a few others. Perhaps they'll show up in a future post.

I love the blue, every time I see my bike I'm reminded of AMD's WX2100/4100/5100/7100 pro GPUS. I need to get a little sticker to put on it. :D