Discussion Small MATX case with 5.25 bay?

Vladatva

What's an ITX?
Original poster
New User
Oct 9, 2023
Right now I think I have the smallest of them all the inwin bk623 But I sometimes come along with issues when traveling, Ive been searching on and off for months for a pc case any bit smaller but no luck I would hope someone could make me a custom case but knowing how much money and time ive compeletly lost interest.
Is there anything smaller even itx of course fitting full height cards and a 3.5 inch HDD?

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
As I've researched this topic until my eyes started bleeding, there ARE quite a few better options, the most prominent (and possibly available) one being the Silverstone Milo ML11 - fits mATX, "full height" GPUs (if full-height is something around 100 mm), one 3.5" HDD and even a 5.25 ODD slim drive. Been even considering this one for a custom loop build.

Other options that may or may not work (with a bit of creativity in component rearrangement):
- Inter-Tech S-331 - 9.1L
- Chieftec UNI BE-10B - 8.7L
- Kolink KLM-002 - 9.6L (supposedly a very shoddy case)

And then there still are "pure-bred" ITX cases that leave enough space for a bit of creative mayhem:
- Fractal Node 202
- Chieftec Flyer FI-03B

Other options include (all of which I've pondered over in the last 1 1/2 years):

a) Just find a decently sized container and roll your own - eg. build inside a suit case of particular size

b) Get a decent, but not too expensive regular mATX case, or buy a used but really good one, and chop it down until its fitting to your needs. One doesnt really need to know much, just a hacksaw, a powerdrill and a few files + sandpaper should do. OC, having access to decent workshop once in while may speed up that process tremendously.

c) Modular cases, ie. if you dont cry over spilled milk and can cope with a bit less of FPS, TB3/4 are valid options; also, there is Oculink, although its currently only available for storage, but there have been news that it may be turned into an eGPU alternative to TB, too.

This means getting eg. a decent sized brickless case (eg. 5/6 L) for the mainboard + CPU with option for low-profile GPU, which means: you reuse that space for a PSU, eg. Flex or even SFX, and then a second similar sized (or smaller) case, that contains the GPU + HDD + potentially also ODD, all connected via TB3/4.

cu, w0lf.