Storage Small M.2 NVMe to SATA adapter?

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
Hey all, just bought this 1TB M.2 NVMe drive: https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd#WDS100T2B0C

I'm actually out of M.2 slots though so I just want to hook this up via SATA to my motherboard and power supply. What are my options for (small) adapters? Can be any format and smaller is better (I'm not opposed to just using double sided tape and sticking it on the inside of my case). Just using it as extra game storage, I know I will be reduced to SATA speeds but that's fine.

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
Hey all, just bought this 1TB M.2 NVMe drive: https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/internal-drives/wd-blue-sn550-nvme-ssd#WDS100T2B0C

I'm actually out of M.2 slots though so I just want to hook this up via SATA to my motherboard and power supply. What are my options for (small) adapters? Can be any format and smaller is better (I'm not opposed to just using double sided tape and sticking it on the inside of my case). Just using it as extra game storage, I know I will be reduced to SATA speeds but that's fine.
I am pretty sure NVME and Sata are not compatible protocols, actually! I don't think you can do it! You need a pcie interface for the NVME.

Last edited:

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
So it's easier to adapt NVMe to USB than SATA? Wow.

Well then.

I guess the old SATA M.2 drive (Crucial MX300, M+B key) is coming off the motherboard and into an adapter instead!

Delock looks like a nice solution, though pricey and not available in the USA. Any other options for M+B key M.2 to SATA?

Reactions: fabio

fabio

Shrink Ray Wielder
Apr 6, 2016
So it's easier to adapt NVMe to USB than SATA? Wow.

Well then.

I guess the old SATA M.2 drive (Crucial MX300, M+B key) is coming off the motherboard and into an adapter instead!

Delock looks like a nice solution, though pricey and not available in the USA. Any other options for M+B key M.2 to SATA?
THAT will be te best solution , then!! You have a lot!
Here just one:

Reactions: smitty2k1

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Dec 3, 2016
I ended up buying this: for $6 shipped. It looks identical in layout to the other one I posted. Got my drive in today, did some drive swapping, and it works perfectly.

Longer version of the story is that the WD Blue SN550 I bought didn't work in my motherboard (Asus Impact VI). I knew the WD SN550 was a NVMe/PCIe M.2 drive, and I knew that my Asus Impact VI supported both PCIe and SATA M.2 drives in its onboard slot. What I did NOT know however, was that the WD SN550 is M-key only, and for whatever reason my Asus's onboard M.2 slot supported PCIe M.2 Drives with M+B key only. Weird, but it was one of the first motherboards (2013?) to support M.2 drives, so I suppose it is not too surprising.

Anyways, the WD SN550 went in my HTPC/LAN machine, the NVMe drive in that went in my gaming PC with the Asus motherboard, but because of all the switcheroo I also had to utilize a USB-M.2 adapter and PCIe-M.2 adapter from my server to do the image backup of the Windows drive.

There were a lot of PC parts strewn about my apartment this morning...

Reactions: ParallaxStax