Storage Building a new budget rig, need help with SSD

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
I'm building a new PC and it's my first time getting an NVME SSD. I'll be mostly gaming with some PS/Premier from time to time.
Is it worth saving the £20 difference between a WD Blue SN550 and a WD Black 1TB SN750? or is the performance bump worth it?

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
For gaming the performance difference isn't going to be noticeable. I can't get onto Tom's Hardware right now, but I'm sure they had some game loading benchmarks, and while the difference in level loading times from a hard drive to an SSD is quite a lot, the fastest and slowest SSDs only have a variance of a second or so.

The SN550 has excellent reviews for it's price (in fact I've just bought one myself), and as you've said this is a budget build, the extra money is probably better saved, or spent elsewhere.

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
For gaming the performance difference isn't going to be noticeable. I can't get onto Tom's Hardware right now, but I'm sure they had some game loading benchmarks, and while the difference in level loading times from a hard drive to an SSD is quite a lot, the fastest and slowest SSDs only have a variance of a second or so.

The SN550 has excellent reviews for it's price (in fact I've just bought one myself), and as you've said this is a budget build, the extra money is probably better saved, or spent elsewhere.
I thought most of it was more of a marketing ploy for the average person, thanks for affirming that.

paullusty

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 22, 2017
Another option I would look at is the SK Hynix P31 Gold 1 TB NVME SSD: LINK

That is one of the best value options right now, and performance is comparable to the SN750.
I had a look but it doesn't seem to be widely available in Europe, thanks for you help though :)