Accessory Small 4K Monitor

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
There are if you watercool... Tbh I don't understand how there is even an itx (I think not quite tho) 1080 but I can't even find an itx rx 470...
If it's not for AMD putting out SFF reference cards themselves, there would barely be any SFF AMD cards. I guess it's because there are a lot more manufacturers offering Nvidia cards that there is room for a niche product while with AMD the number of manufacturers doesn't seem to allow that kind of "risk taking".

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I'm still running into a lot of walls trying to find display controllers... can anyone help me understand what I need to be looking for or how I can find them?

Pretty much any display I've come across that looked promising, searching for the laptop model name plus "display controller" or even just "controller" tends to not have any results. This is primarily on ebay and aliexpress, but also wherever else I've tried (Amazon). I have heard you're supposed to look up the part number for the display rather than the laptop's model number, but not having the actual displays in my possession it's hard to find the display's part number...

I'm also a little unsure of whether or not it's possible to mix and match displays and controllers. If the size and resolution (and number of pins) match, could I use displays and controllers from different devices? It seems hard to find a controller with DisplayPort.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I'm still running into a lot of walls trying to find display controllers... can anyone help me understand what I need to be looking for or how I can find them?

Pretty much any display I've come across that looked promising, searching for the laptop model name plus "display controller" or even just "controller" tends to not have any results. This is primarily on ebay and aliexpress, but also wherever else I've tried (Amazon). I have heard you're supposed to look up the part number for the display rather than the laptop's model number, but not having the actual displays in my possession it's hard to find the display's part number...

I'm also a little unsure of whether or not it's possible to mix and match displays and controllers. If the size and resolution (and number of pins) match, could I use displays and controllers from different devices? It seems hard to find a controller with DisplayPort.

Many of the controller cards can be programmed to work with multiple displays. What I advise is to find a controller card you want (with DP) and then e-mail the seller and ask for a list of compatible panels that work. i.e "Hi, I like your controller board seen here: link. Can you recommend a display panel that is IPS and 17.3" that will go with it?"

That or go through laptops and filter by the screen size/type you want, then look up 'replacement laptop display for dell Lenovo T420' or whatever the model number is of the laptop you like. You can also go to screen replacement websites like http://www.screencountry.com/ or https://www.laptopscreen.com and look that way, by brand. This article is helpful for understanding what the model numbers actually mean.

Lastly, I can try and help you find some if you give me the requirements.

Hope this helps!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Lastly, I can try and help you find some if you give me the requirements.

Hope this helps!

Thanks, that is very helpful and I appreciate the offer to help!

I'm looking for a matte 1920 * 1080 (though being able to go over that is fine) display panel that can run at 120/144Hz. From what I can tell, 17.3" is the typical "large" standard for laptops and is good enough, but I'd be happy to have ~18-20" if they're available. I haven't had much luck learning about most display's response times, though apparently MSI has some 17.3" 120Hz 5ms 1080p monitors. Having both monitors use DisplayPort out would be a comfort, but my GPU will likely have only one HDMI out (currently aiming for a mini 1060).

henrygrins

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2017
www.grinsdesign.com
I just ordered one of these, an AUO B173ZAN01.0. I got mine for 184 whole doll-hairs including DHL shipping. I've heard this particular seller on aliexpress is fairly slow, but I'll reserve judgement until I've received mine. Looking to build it into the lid of a Pelican im2300 or 2370. Or I may just build a frame for it out of Misumi 20mm aluminum extrusion and turn it into a removable monitor.

I did a TON of research on these OEM panels, and this was the best balance of price, size, color accuracy and screen real estate that I found. There's really nothing in between the 17.3" and around 24"

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Do you have a link for the 24" and is it of comparable quality?

henrygrins

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2017
www.grinsdesign.com
Do you have a link for the 24" and is it of comparable quality?

Nothing direct, but panelook.com is your friend! Here's a link to all 2160p-capable panels, for instance. All of the columns are sortable, ad once you find one you like, grab the model number from the URL in Chrome or what have you and cross-reference on aliexpress or ebay. Simple as that.

The panel I found was a full $140 cheaper on aliexpress than from another Shenzhen-based supplier on eBay, though YMMV.

chx

Master of Cramming
May 18, 2016
Thanks, that is very helpful and I appreciate the offer to help!

I'm looking for a matte 1920 * 1080 (though being able to go over that is fine) display panel that can run at 120/144Hz. From what I can tell, 17.3" is the typical "large" standard for laptops and is good enough, but I'd be happy to have ~18-20" if they're available. I haven't had much luck learning about most display's response times, though apparently MSI has some 17.3" 120Hz 5ms 1080p monitors. Having both monitors use DisplayPort out would be a comfort, but my GPU will likely have only one HDMI out (currently aiming for a mini 1060).

Just so you know, I carry http://www.sharp-world.com/products/professional-monitors/products/ll-s201a/dimensions.html this as my travel monitor.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Those look pretty nice. We deal with Sharp products a lot at work, I wonder if I can get a deal...

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Update: my panel arrived in under two weeks, with the DP-eDP driver. I haven't yet gotten it to work however. Not sure if it's the driver, eDP ribbon cable, or panel itself. Backlight works fine and powers up, but no love as of yet.
Do/Can you have any pictures?

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Update: my panel arrived in under two weeks, with the DP-eDP driver. I haven't yet gotten it to work however. Not sure if it's the driver, eDP ribbon cable, or panel itself. Backlight works fine and powers up, but no love as of yet.

I'd hit the seller up - they may have almost incomprehensible English but they'll try and help you. As long as you haven't given them a review yet :V

Reactions: henrygrins

213NSX

Efficiency Noob
Mar 26, 2017
Hey I've built and sold a buncha notebooks brah, maybe checkout NBR, or Alibaba and stuff, you can do it. Personally, I am ordering 10-100 small-medium (10-14) 4K Panels for some art stuff I'm doing. I also use a 15.6er in my line of notebooks.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Hey I've built and sold a buncha notebooks brah, maybe checkout NBR, or Alibaba and stuff, you can do it. Personally, I am ordering 10-100 small-medium (10-14) 4K Panels for some art stuff I'm doing. I also use a 15.6er in my line of notebooks.
Can you link to the ones you're going with? Must be some project (and expensive too!)

Reactions: 213NSX

henrygrins

Trash Compacter
Mar 12, 2017
www.grinsdesign.com
Update to the update: It seems for whatever reason, that the driver wasn't compatible with my GTX 970 desktop card or that the DP cable I was using is complete rubbish. Just plugged it into my XPS 15 via USB-C/TB3 port and it works just fine. Looks glorious! Unfortunately I also completely botched my dimensions when I ordered aluminum profile to house it, but I'll post pics later when I've frankensteined it together