Accessory Small 4K Monitor

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
It is possible to take a laptop panel and turn it into a monitor with the right adapter card. Just need to find and purchase the right 4k panel and adapter card (ebay for the adapter card, Amazon or eBay for the panel). I turned a 17" laptop display into a monitor in the lid of a pelican case doing this https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/deployment-box.567/

You can use a wall wort to power the display or I wound up splicing mine into a SF-450 PSU molex adapter.

Reactions: limaalpha0hacii

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
It is possible to take a laptop panel and turn it into a monitor with the right adapter card. Just need to find and purchase the right 4k panel and adapter card (ebay for the adapter card, Amazon or eBay for the panel). I turned a 17" laptop display into a monitor in the lid of a pelican case doing this https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/deployment-box.567/

You can use a wall wort to power the display or I wound up splicing mine into a SF-450 PSU molex adapter.
So I found a panel, I just don't know what adapter to get. http://www.ebay.com/itm/UHD-17-3-4K...543779?hash=item5b27f75223:g:U58AAOSw4shX~waw

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016

Seems good! A little steep, but for 4k I guess that is the price you pay and only a little more than a monitor. (I paid about $150 for my setup, but it was only 1080p). He also looks like one of the only games in town if you want 4k, plus you know everything is compatible.. I would ask him a question and ask if he can test the panel for dead pixels before you buy. Should be able to splice the adapter into a molex adapter and power the whole thing off the PC PSU.

Last edited:

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Seems good! A little steep, but for 4k I guess that is the price you pay and only a little more than a monitor. (I paid about $150 for my setup, but it was only 1080p). He also looks like one of the only games in town if you want 4k, plus you know everything is compatible.. I would ask him a question and ask if he can test the panel for dead pixels before you buy. Should be able to splice the adapter into a molex adapter and power the whole thing off the PC PSU.
Yes, I could find some panels for 100 as the one list above this one but I can't find a controller. I'm probably going to wait to buy and build things till Zen and Vega come out because of the power consumption

Last edited:

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I think when I checked earlier (my initial reply) I couldn't find any on eBay. So they might be really new and you pay the early adopter tax. When you do get ready to buy, it wouldn't hurt messaging the seller and tell him you'll do a review of the board or something (link to his seller page, etc) and see if he'll knock some money off the price.

Also be aware that font size will probably be pretty tiny at that resolution/screen size lol (the below somewhat related video where they take an iPad retina display panel and turn it into a monitor mentions something, obviously worse with such a small screen).

My setup has been doing good except for breaking part of the inverter cable on my screen recently.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Hey friends! Ceros_X directed me to this thread.

I went ahead and decided to chat with the folks at screencountry.com and their support has been helpful but not as helpful as I would like. They suggested I use the LP173WF4(SP)(F1), which is 1920x1080 and 17.3" wide (which were my two main specifications). It's got a 60Hz refresh rate... but its response time is "25 (Typ.)(Tr+Td)"?

So the total for the screen plus controller boards (the boards off ebay or Aliexpress) was ending up at something like $110. My reservation is that the controller meant to be paired with this display only outputs in HDMI (and DV-I), no DisplayPort.

I'd also like to be able to incorporate G-Sync, if that's at all possible. Do you folks know if that's something that the controller needs to support, the display needs to support, or both?

I think I'm going to keep shopping around, maybe you can help? The minimum of what I want, really, is 17.3" 1920*1080@60Hz with DisplayPort out. What I'd like is 18-20"(does this exist?) 2560x1440@120Hz or higher with DisplayPort and G-Sync. The $110 price point is nice, but realistically staying under $200 with the project for one monitor is a total steal if it's got G-Sync enabled.

Perhaps it's worth adding: I'm not only interested in this for the sake of having a "SFF" monitor, but I'm also interested in reducing the power consumption of my hardware.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Hey friends! Ceros_X directed me to this thread.

I went ahead and decided to chat with the folks at screencountry.com and their support has been helpful but not as helpful as I would like. They suggested I use the LP173WF4(SP)(F1), which is 1920x1080 and 17.3" wide (which were my two main specifications). It's got a 60Hz refresh rate... but its response time is "25 (Typ.)(Tr+Td)"?

So the total for the screen plus controller boards (the boards off ebay or Aliexpress) was ending up at something like $110. My reservation is that the controller meant to be paired with this display only outputs in HDMI (and DV-I), no DisplayPort.

I'd also like to be able to incorporate G-Sync, if that's at all possible. Do you folks know if that's something that the controller needs to support, the display needs to support, or both?

I think I'm going to keep shopping around, maybe you can help? The minimum of what I want, really, is 17.3" 1920*1080@60Hz with DisplayPort out. What I'd like is 18-20"(does this exist?) 2560x1440@120Hz or higher with DisplayPort and G-Sync. The $110 price point is nice, but realistically staying under $200 with the project for one monitor is a total steal if it's got G-Sync enabled.

Perhaps it's worth adding: I'm not only interested in this for the sake of having a "SFF" monitor, but I'm also interested in reducing the power consumption of my hardware.
I don't know about 2560x1440 but 4k G-Sync should exist.
I'm pretty sure this is G-Sync -http://www.ebay.com/itm/UHD-17-3-4K-LCD-Screen-AUO-B173ZAN01-1-For-Clevo-P870DM-3840x2160-Display-Teste-/391512543779?hash=item5b27f75223:g:U58AAOSw4shX~waw

Last edited:
Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Do you know what controller goes with that board? I can't seem to find any, I found one for B173ZAN01.0 but it didn't have DisplayPort. (And it was like $120.)

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
G-sync for laptops is the not the same as G-Sync for desktop. For desktop, G-sync uses a custom display controller (FPGA, hence the expense) to handle the various functions G-sync performs. On laptops, all the G-sync functionality is done in GPU, and the display is directly connected to the GPU through Embedded DisplayPort (the replacement for LvDS) with no controller.

tl;dr: If you want to make your down display with a laptop screen and a controller, you can't have G-sync.

Reactions: Ceros_X and zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
tl;dr: If you want to make your down display with a laptop screen and a controller, you can't have G-sync.

Dang. My life is just so hard sometimes! I'm taking for granted Freesync is effectively the same? (Not that there are any ITX 480's around yet...)

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
G-sync for laptops is the not the same as G-Sync for desktop. For desktop, G-sync uses a custom display controller (FPGA, hence the expense) to handle the various functions G-sync performs. On laptops, all the G-sync functionality is done in GPU, and the display is directly connected to the GPU through Embedded DisplayPort (the replacement for LvDS) with no controller.

Oh yeah, I didn't realize.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
Dang. My life is just so hard sometimes! I'm taking for granted Freesync is effectively the same? (Not that there are any ITX 480's around yet...)
There's going to be a Radeon Instinct 8.2TFs coming out soon.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sep 11, 2016
There are if you watercool... Tbh I don't understand how there is even an itx (I think not quite tho) 1080 but I can't even find an itx rx 470...
No ITX 1080 yet, Unless you count Zotac's which hasn't been released yet.