CPU SM550, Wraith Stealth and Ryzen 5900X - how to solve it properly?

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
So, my head is obviously not listening to me - after snatching one 6800XT, I thought that why not wait for second or third AM5 iteration and now my Ryzen 5900X is traveling to me. Ryzen 3600 is good, but I got the 5900X almost at MSRP, so it wasn't that hard call.

Now, I went through a lot of videos and threads lately and I honestly can't justify any of the compatible coolers over the Wraith Stealth. I don't want to find a way in for Blackridge, so it is out of the picture.
NL9a or IS-47 deliver a bit better but having in mind that I need to disassemble the whole PC and make custom backplate (MSI B550i) for the cooler, and of course, the price, I am not sure if it is worth it. Also I really plan to submerge all of this in custom water cooling SM570, so this is rather long temporary solution. Or even try my luck inside the SM550 on high heels :D

So, couple of things I need outside view of:
1. I will obviously run this in Eco Mode. However my board's Eco is listed at 45W. I hope won't need to go that low, so I will need different approach. Is PPT=65W enough? Do it need to touch EDC and DTC as well? Or anything else part of PBO or the advanced settings, so I can achieve Eco?
2. I will undervolt with -offset. Hoping that the board can do it properly.
3. The whole thing will run at the upper range of the temp scale. My 3600 idles at ~50C but I am hoping that this is because of the uneven CCDs. Hopefully I won't kill it soon :D

Or all of this is a bad idea? I will be able to return the CPU in 1 month period, so I can always pull the plug, but I hope to get it done.
I am no hardcore gamer or anything and I don't drool over 100fps, so anything above 45fps is good for me. But I do sometimes to things which will benefit core count vs IPC.

Forgot that I don't have the hardware in the signature:
MSI B550i Gaming Edge Wifi
Ryzen 5 3600 [Wraith Stealth]
G.Skill 2x16GB F4-3200C16Q-32GTZR
AMD RX 6800XT
EVO970 500GB + EVO850 250GB + EVO850 500GB
Corsair SF600

Thanks in advance!

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
So, the CPU is here and most importantly - WHEA errors everywhere.
Anyways, I found that I can still use it with some hacks in Eco Mode, which limits the voltage to 1.1v

Unfortunately 5900X + Wraith Stealth, from first hand experience, seems like mission impossible. In order to somehow keep the temps below 90C I need to lower the clock speed at 2.3Ghz for multicore application.
I can't test PPT, which will allow higher single core boost with low multicore performance, but seeing how it works now, I doubt I will manage it.

So I either need IS-47K, for an example, and improve things a little or just leave the high core count for later :)

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
While waiting for Wraith Spire with the cooper core and Noctua A9-14 to try my luck, here is an idea for someone with deeper pockets - Thermalright AXP-100 can be paired with 9x Noctua 40x40x10 for total height of 54cm :)

D

Deleted member 23607

While waiting for Wraith Spire with the cooper core and Noctua A9-14 to try my luck, here is an idea for someone with deeper pockets - Thermalright AXP-100 can be paired with 9x Noctua 40x40x10 for total height of 54cm :)
Prolly gonna be loud though, and generally speaking tiny fans don't move as much air as their larger counterparts.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Reporting back - might be useful for anyone.
Wraith Spire (cooper core) with Noctua A9x14 HS PWM is only kinda working. The main reason is that the Noctua is NOISY! And by a lot, comparing it to Wraith Stealth.
Temps are kinda okay - 55-60 in idle at 900rpm and hitting 85c at single core and 75 at 90w PPT.
I saw someone with the same setup and AXP-90R and reporting better temps, so not sure what to do.

Would Cryorig C7 Cu (which I can get cheap second hand) be better than the Wraith Spire?
In the meantime I will print some XSPC240 and DC-LT blueprints and see if they will fit.

The big issue appears to be the whole thing with the temp reports of Ryzen. It is completely viable in multi-threaded stuff, but in those single core spikes, the fan is killing me.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Upping my thread with question - what is the cooling capacity of XSPC TX120? I might potentially pair it with 15mm fan, as I don't want to alter the outer dimenstions of the case (e.g. putting higher legs).
I might be able to fit the TX240 with 1x 15mm fan below the PSU and 6x 40mmx10mm fans below the CPU.

I am working to "slimming" one Noctua L9x65 to fit 55mm, but it does not work, I might try my luck with watercooling :)

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 28, 2021
Probably not the cheapest option out there, as it means getting a brand new air cooler, but the SM550 has a CPU height limit of 55mm yes?

Thermalright has either the AXP90 in both 53mm and 47mm heights, and it also comes in a variant that is a full copper heatsink. It might be able to provide better cooling, and the new variants are able to mount together with the MSI B550I's stock backplate. Although that means taking apart your whole build.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Well, this is actually my biggest pain - I REALLY don't want to take apart the whole build - this is why I skipped on all TR options, as well as ID-Cooling variants. Even despite the stupid MSI backplate, it isn't my biggest problem.
I prefer to cut down a cooler instead of taking the build apart :D

makoto14

Chassis Packer
Jul 19, 2021
i like your balls of using a 65w free cooler to cool a 144w chip in a SFF case. My only help is eco mode is just 3 PBO settings. If you try 65w and its still not working, feel free to go down to 45w and give it a try. Also if your not undervolting, you should give it a good -20 or -25 offset for both CCDs. Broadly speaking 5900x are pretty good bins of chips and can undervolt easily.

Eco-Mode (95W): PPT = 128W, TDC = 80A, EDC = 125A
Eco-Mode (65W): PPT = 88W, TDC = 60A, EDC = 90A
Eco-Mode (45W): PPT = 61W, TDC = 45A, EDC = 65A

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
It is not that bad, actually - I use PPT 105W, with undervolt+curve optimization. All cores boost above 4.8Ghz for single use.
Multi is around 3.8Ghz on all cores, which is actually better than any other lesser CPU, so even so, I still get the most performance.

Yes, runs a bit hot - 55C idle and 88C full load, but hey - yolo, right? :D

Gilles3000

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 6, 2018
Well, this is actually my biggest pain - I REALLY don't want to take apart the whole build - this is why I skipped on all TR options, as well as ID-Cooling variants. Even despite the stupid MSI backplate, it isn't my biggest problem.
I prefer to cut down a cooler instead of taking the build apart :D
Why would you need to take the whole build apart? can't you reach the backplate if you remove the gpu? That's pretty trivial in an SM550

Reactions: rfarmer

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Removing the GPU is also tricky - I need to remove the top as well as the PCI slot.
But, regardless of this - the bottom screws of the backplate are behind the spine of the case. So, I need take all apart. In fact, my biggest issue is with the custom cables (made my own) - they were really hard to plug it and I can't afford the risk to break something.

I know - excuses, not really the "tinkering mind", despite wanting to put water inside the case, but still :)

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 26, 2020
Quick update on my venture with 5900x and SM550.

I managed to cut, this time properly, unlike the Wraith Max (RIP!) a NH-L9x65 and make it 55mm. Sadly, no improvement over the Wraith Spire (cooper core) + NF-A9x14. Not sure why, I was really hopping for 3-4 degrees improvement, but these perform virtually the same. Wondering if the thermal paste (MX-4) or mounting has something to do with it.