SM550 Less is more personal build

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Pesky pandemic keeping us all cooped up and busy so been a while since posting much here SFF Fam . STAY SAFE everyone!
Well actually I'm 'essential' since I work for a large ISP and we are still going to the office... All well here and not unemployed at the moment so yay!?

After running my overkill (for me) 3900x system which while amazing was larger and more than I really need at this time-- I decide to downgrade a bit.

3600/ IS 60 cooler
Gigabyte B450 Aorus itx
16gb Team Dark 3200 clocked at 3600 c16
EVGA 2060s
Intel nvme boot
Crucial 2.5 MX500
SF450
2x Noctua NF P12

Sending more funds to the good people at Sliger is always worthwhile so enter the Slate Gray SM550:
@KSliger @Sligerjack

Current CPUz Validation and all tweaks to CPU, Voltage and Memory are in bios. Sweet spot

Some benches:

An apology to Marc, ?

Alas the 3900x test with IS 60 cooler was not to be as it sold rather quickly and I didn't want to tear down the SM550 build to test as it is running great.. Sorry @MarcParis ! And thanks for the washer mod idea. ?

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I’m very happy that you are safe and you managed to finish your sm550 build despite situation!

Great news that my small mod with washers on side panel was helpful...:)

No issue about r9 3900x test with is-60...now I know it can handle it with no big trouble.
Will you update your 120mm fan by noctua one?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
I actually tried the Slim Noctua 120mm fan on the CPU and find that the turbulence from the side panel is more pronounced than the stock IS 60 fan. When Gaming I run with that panel off as it is facing away --PC is on right hand side of my monitor and GPU side is facing me. Without the side panel causing that added noise from turbulence the system is extremely quiet. I am considering ordering another panel and modding in a fan grill to see how that goes.

Thinking of giving Sliger a call to see if they have any QC fails for paint and if they will sell a couple of panels at a discount -- or even unpainted.

For the time being I really do enjoy the SM550 and it is perfect for my current needs.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
After selling off some other parts and unused hardware I found a deal locally and bumped the GPU up a tad.

Reactions: MarcParis

Yugo555

Average Stuffer
Mar 13, 2020
How did you manage to fit those RAM modules in there since they have 39mm height(according to their website)? I guess IS-60 allows lower clearance.

Reactions: TheHig

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Nice GPU this EVGA RTX 2080 Super..:)
No issue from PSU? (coil whine, fan speed?)

Should have mentioned that I also pulled the SF450 and replaced it with the SF600 that was in my Cerberus X. No coil whine noticed but there is a slight 'buzz' at super high FPS-- Such as menu screens that take it over 1000 unless you frame cap. I have been capping at 120FPS in the Nvidia Control panel for games. I'll run Firestrike and Timespy today uncapped and post what the GPUZ max/avgs are on the GPU.

How did you manage to fit those RAM modules in there since they have 39mm height(according to their website)? I guess IS-60 allows lower clearance.

I have removed the top of heat spreaders on the Team Dark Pro ram modules. Its two hex nuts and they come right off. Even with these removed the IS 60 touches the innermost ram module but its not pushing on it or causing issues. This ram would not make clearance otherwise with this cooler and motherboard combo. Pic 5 on my first post in the album shows the ram right up against the IS 60.

EDIT: Added a Timespy run with GPUz data.

Last edited:

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
It appears that using the Wraith Spire cooler with Noctua slim 92mm fan swap is totally doable.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Temps are better by a few C on the CPU and less noise with the panel installed vs the panel on with spacers with the IS-60. Both solutions are not very noisy to me really. The 92mm Noctua has a higher pitch of course.

Ambient in my basement is cooler today so the temps are fairly close between these two solutions I feel.

Idling in the mid 30s right now and usually maxing out in the mid 50s and 60s gaming. CB all core run produced a max temp of 72c just now.

If someone has a Wraith Spire cooler already ,even with purchasing the Noctua A9x14 fan, this is a nice low cost option for cooling in the SM550.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Temps are better by a few C on the CPU and less noise with the panel installed vs the panel on with spacers with the IS-60. Both solutions are not very noisy to me really. The 92mm Noctua has a higher pitch of course.

Ambient in my basement is cooler today so the temps are fairly close between these two solutions I feel.

Idling in the mid 30s right now and usually maxing out in the mid 50s and 60s gaming. CB all core run produced a max temp of 72c just now.

If someone has a Wraith Spire cooler already ,even with purchasing the Noctua A9x14 fan, this is a nice low cost option for cooling in the SM550.
Definitely SM series are sharing same cpu cooler choices than node 202..;)
this solution wraith spire+custom fan was it on node 202 also..;)

Reactions: TheHig