Production Sliger SV590 and SV540 - Vertical SFF Cases!

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
At same time though I am not sure if I should make this a vertical case, or a standard layout case like the M1 is.

I suppose I'm partial to the vertical arrangement from a footprint perspective and to differentiate it from the M1 and your SM line. Depending on the construction method, maybe just throw some magnetic feet on and allow the user to decide which orientation best suits their desk/home-theater.

Nugget

Trash Compacter
Mar 9, 2019
For the SV540 the GPU is going to be mounted similar to how the M1 mounts it - vertical in the slot - but instead of actually being "in the slot it" will be on a riser and moved to the opposite side of the motherboard.

Basically like BTX form factor via riser. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BTX_(form_factor)

This helps the cooling on this layout enormously as it eliminates the need to get air around the GPU as is the struggle in the M1.
GPU will just pull in air from the side same as the CPU cooler does, and both can then exhaust heat out the top / backside of the case.

At same time though I am not sure if I should make this a vertical case, or a standard layout case like the M1 is.

SV590 will be what is pictured less the black band around the bottom (dropping this takes $10 off the price) and adding some optional mounts for fans/SSD/HDDs on the GPU side. Will only be available in a new black that looks like anodized black, or a matte silver that looks like the clear anodize on a Macbook.

SV510 will basically be the same as the DSE Breathe with some rigidity improvements.
This sounds intriguing, but I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around what it will look like. Are there any renders you have to share, potentially one vertical and one horizontal (like M1)?

EDIT: Perhaps you mean like this? https://www.bitfenix.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Word-press-Portal-overview_07.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Will the rusted/patina finish release at a later date or has it been scrapped?

It will be available on our Amazon store in limited batches of ~25 pieces, not available on sliger.com as our site does not track inventory and I might make whoever orders #26 very sad.

This sounds intriguing, but I'm having a tough time wrapping my head around what it will look like. Are there any renders you have to share, potentially one vertical and one horizontal (like M1)?

EDIT: Perhaps you mean like this? https://www.bitfenix.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Word-press-Portal-overview_07.png

Here's an album of the layout with sheet metal turned off to give you an idea. I set the PCIE riser and the PCIE slot to orange to show where they are located.

Basically my though here is that all good GPUs exhaust their heat out the top and bottom of the card, and that this layout should be designed with that in mind.

By routing airflow so that air comes in the side panels, through the PSU on left side and CPU cooler (AIO or air) on right side, we get a positive pressure box without any extra case fans. This airflow then only really has one option for exhaust - directly behind the GPU.

In order for the air to flow to those exhaust holes behind the GPU it has to go over the top or under the bottom of the GPU, flowing right where the GPU exhaust is as well for a really optimized "air goes out when it's at its peak temperature" layout.

With this I can get a 280mm AIO (or 150mm tall CPU cooler) and a 3-slot 325mm long GPU in ~13.5L, or ~15L if counting the top cable cover and probably get really good temps.

I was also thinking making it possible to mount a slim 120mm fan under the motherboard since I have a bit of extra height allowed by not having the GPU in the motherboard slot.

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
SV590 .... Will only be available in a new black that looks like anodized black, or a matte silver that looks like the clear anodize on a Macbook.
Brilliant, that's all a sane person needs, perfect for a hackintosh, considering all the crazy prices apple wants for the new mac pro.

Also SV540 with a 3 slot GPU is kinda attractive, as I thought 3 slot is for 590 only. Still would rather have a standard ATX PSU and more space for cable management, so 590 it is.

edit: just went back a few pages and got really confused by this KSliger's quote for 540:

3-slot GPU, 75mm CPU cooler, ATX PSU, and 2x 140mm fan at ~14L
Is it still relevant for 540 or the ATX PSU is off the list and has been replaced with SFXL only? Also 2x 140 means 280 AIO support too, or 240 only?

Last edited:

Nugget

Trash Compacter
Mar 9, 2019
It will be available on our Amazon store in limited batches of ~25 pieces, not available on sliger.com as our site does not track inventory and I might make whoever orders #26 very sad.

Here's an album of the layout with sheet metal turned off to give you an idea. I set the PCIE riser and the PCIE slot to orange to show where they are located.

Basically my though here is that all good GPUs exhaust their heat out the top and bottom of the card, and that this layout should be designed with that in mind.

By routing airflow so that air comes in the side panels, through the PSU on left side and CPU cooler (AIO or air) on right side, we get a positive pressure box without any extra case fans. This airflow then only really has one option for exhaust - directly behind the GPU.

In order for the air to flow to those exhaust holes behind the GPU it has to go over the top or under the bottom of the GPU, flowing right where the GPU exhaust is as well for a really optimized "air goes out when it's at its peak temperature" layout.

With this I can get a 280mm AIO (or 150mm tall CPU cooler) and a 3-slot 325mm long GPU in ~13.5L, or ~15L if counting the top cable cover and probably get really good temps.

I was also thinking making it possible to mount a slim 120mm fan under the motherboard since I have a bit of extra height allowed by not having the GPU in the motherboard slot.
This layout seems really promising, especially the high CPU cooler height. Though it's a mere ~8mm away from supporting Noctua's U12 series, it would still support the U9S and D9L, I think. The only nitpick I have is that you wouldn't be able to see the front of your GPU, which is too bad for those of us with a Strix card or similar. Flipping it might cause problems though because of the riser cable routing :(. It'd be nice to investigate though.

What type of external enclosure design are you thinking of? Would it be used in a vertical or horizontal configuration? Looking good, it's a very exciting idea!

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Brilliant, that's all a sane person needs, perfect for a hackintosh, considering all the crazy prices apple wants for the new mac pro.

Also SV540 with a 3 slot GPU is kinda attractive, as I thought 3 slot is for 590 only. Still would rather have a standard ATX PSU and more space for cable management, so 590 it is.

edit: just went back a few pages and got really confused by this KSliger's quote for 540:

Is it still relevant for 540 or the ATX PSU is off the list and has been replaced with SFXL only? Also 2x 140 means 280 AIO support too, or 240 only?

Sorry on confusion the 540 is a moving target trying to find the best way to have taller CPU coolers, ATX PSU support, 3-slot GPU support, and still be small.

Original layout was like the SM550 stood on end, but with ATX PSU support. This sucked because between the 3-slot GPU behind the motherboard on riser and the 75mm height on the CPU cooler the case was >160mm wide. If I put the GPU back in the slot I could fit a 150mm or maybe 160mm tall CPU cooler in it.

Once I did put the GPU back in the slot to gain that layout I wasn't happy with the airflow / exterior appearance - the case was going to have to be perforated all over every side. Goal with the SV line is minimalism, so a massive number of vents is contrary to that.

Thinking the pictured layout might be what I go with, or depending on a few other things maybe I will just stick the GPU in the slot, perforate all the sides, and make this an inexpensive vertical case to compete with the LD03. Tough to find the right niche / price point here without just competing with my own SM series.

This layout seems really promising, especially the high CPU cooler height. Though it's a mere ~8mm away from supporting Noctua's U12 series, it would still support the U9S and D9L, I think. The only nitpick I have is that you wouldn't be able to see the front of your GPU, which is too bad for those of us with a Strix card or similar. Flipping it might cause problems though because of the riser cable routing . It'd be nice to investigate though.

What type of external enclosure design are you thinking of? Would it be used in a vertical or horizontal configuration? Looking good, it's a very exciting idea!

It's currently 140mm~150mm CPU cooler height, so both those will work, and so will Dark Rock TF and Noctua C14S. I might shrink it down to save a bit of space or might bump it up to 160mm for full height coolers. Playing around with both.

This case isn't really meant to be a window case, mean for a minimalist quiet tower that takes up very little desk space similar the Loque Ghost. I actually don't even want any options on this case except for side panel style, managing all the SM and Cerberus options is a PITA.

For the exterior I was trying to keep the same design as the SV590 with the blank front, vertical vents, black top, black base plate and exhaust out rear with the same two silver/matte black finishes.

Only the SV510 will be different airflow as it will be vents on all sides.

Nugget

Trash Compacter
Mar 9, 2019
Sorry on confusion the 540 is a moving target trying to find the best way to have taller CPU coolers, ATX PSU support, 3-slot GPU support, and still be small.

Original layout was like the SM550 stood on end, but with ATX PSU support. This sucked because between the 3-slot GPU behind the motherboard on riser and the 75mm height on the CPU cooler the case was >160mm wide. If I put the GPU back in the slot I could fit a 150mm or maybe 160mm tall CPU cooler in it.

Once I did put the GPU back in the slot to gain that layout I wasn't happy with the airflow / exterior appearance - the case was going to have to be perforated all over every side. Goal with the SV line is minimalism, so a massive number of vents is contrary to that.

Thinking the pictured layout might be what I go with, or depending on a few other things maybe I will just stick the GPU in the slot, perforate all the sides, and make this an inexpensive vertical case to compete with the LD03. Tough to find the right niche / price point here without just competing with my own SM series.

It's currently 140mm~150mm CPU cooler height, so both those will work, and so will Dark Rock TF and Noctua C14S. I might shrink it down to save a bit of space or might bump it up to 160mm for full height coolers. Playing around with both.

This case isn't really meant to be a window case, mean for a minimalist quiet tower that takes up very little desk space similar the Loque Ghost. I actually don't even want any options on this case except for side panel style, managing all the SM and Cerberus options is a PITA.

For the exterior I was trying to keep the same design as the SV590 with the blank front, vertical vents, black top, black base plate and exhaust out rear with the same two silver/matte black finishes.

Only the SV510 will be different airflow as it will be vents on all sides.
I think shrinking it down would make more sense than expanding it, though I think the current size is fine too. There's already the Cerberus for maximum compatibility, or the other SV590 for big boy radiators, which are both pretty much only necessary for Epyc and other workstation uses. I don't think the larger case would appeal to many people.

I'm a bit confused about the vertical nature of the case. Wouldn't the IO and such be sticking out the top? Is it meant to be able to use in both vertical and horizontal layouts? As in, no specific horizontal layout will be made, only this one.

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
Thanks for clarification. Making 540 larger gets it close to 590, but not sure it's all that bad. Yet I agree that minimalism style is a must for a case like 540, which gives it a unique style advantage and style is like 70% of the reason people buy something. I would rather have a reasonably smaller minimalist case with say SFXL PSU compromise, 3 slot GPU option and limited cooling (a 240 is all one needs really in most instances), than a fully perforated meshfest of a tower ;)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger I didn't know there was an Amazon store for Sliger cases! When will those sexy rusted SV590s be available for purchase?

Doing one last revision to the case, making some final decisions, and then will hit production. So maybe... late October.

Here is the most recent update I am working on getting a prototype made of, trying out our USB Audio board on the bottom front to break up the monotony of the front but not too much. Also changed the bottom to have the standard vent pattern to make it easier to mount pumps / radiators or HDD/SSD.

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
@KSliger I really hope there is no usb (especially A or audio jacks) in the front as it's really one of the main reasons I liked the case so much due to its monolithic appearance (like sidearm or ghost). Even M1 is now offering an option of just a power button io. Besides that cutout looks kinda weird, at least to me. Utility is not that important with cases like this, on the contrary, it's all about the looks and it also drives the cost up. So I hope the original design will also be available...

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger I really hope there is no usb (especially A or audio jacks) in the front as it's really one of the main reasons I liked the case so much due to its monolithic appearance (like sidearm or ghost). Even M1 is now offering an option of just a power button io. Besides that cutout looks kinda weird, at least to me. Utility is not that important with cases like this, on the contrary, it's all about the looks and it also drives the cost up. So I hope the original design will also be available...

Since the point of this is to appeal to the minimalist crowd I think you're right, plus it saves ~$10. I'll take it out.

Hacko

Cable Smoosher
Jul 29, 2019
Since the point of this is to appeal to the minimalist crowd I think you're right, plus it saves ~$10. I'll take it out.

Congrats Ksliger
One of the best looking cases! The IO notch without IO would look very good indeed, maybe mirror it on the top? just say...

Could it support thicker 360mm rads? 60mm+ fans? If so i am sold 100%

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Reminds me a lot of the Sunmilo Steel Forest case:

I don't know if went on sale, but it looks like a version with an USB port on front is available now:

(https://nazya.com/product/korpus-dlya-pk-other-sunmilo-steel-forest-a4_562624615760.html)

ChrisMCP

Trash Compacter
Jun 16, 2018
Great, minimalist cases seem to be the new trend and generate way more buzz than USB-A festered stuff, even if it's Chinese clones like loli et all.
Here is the original chiphell thread on it.
Seems a little wacky with fake grills, and way too small. I prefer 540/590 approach to cooling too.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

I don't know if went on sale, but it looks like a version with an USB port on front is available now:

(https://nazya.com/product/korpus-dlya-pk-other-sunmilo-steel-forest-a4_562624615760.html)

This is what inspired the vent pattern, but the internal layout of that case is pretty poor and the quantity of screws required to assemble is obscene. SV510 will be a lot like that except GPU on backside of motherboard for slightly taller CPU cooler options + cooler air intake for CPU.

Congrats Ksliger
One of the best looking cases! The IO notch without IO would look very good indeed, maybe mirror it on the top? just say...

Could it support thicker 360mm rads? 60mm+ fans? If so i am sold 100%

How thick you really need? Even a 30mm thick 360mm with 25mm thick fans will cool a 9900K and a 2080ti.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Doing one last revision to the case, making some final decisions, and then will hit production. So maybe... late October.

Here is the most recent update I am working on getting a prototype made of, trying out our USB Audio board on the bottom front to break up the monotony of the front but not too much. Also changed the bottom to have the standard vent pattern to make it easier to mount pumps / radiators or HDD/SSD.

What does it look like with a video card inside? Is there space for a 2 or 3 slot card? It looks like 2 but just wanted to be sure...

Hacko

Cable Smoosher
Jul 29, 2019
This is what inspired the vent pattern, but the internal layout of that case is pretty poor and the quantity of screws required to assemble is obscene. SV510 will be a lot like that except GPU on backside of motherboard for slightly taller CPU cooler options + cooler air intake for CPU.

How thick you really need? Even a 30mm thick 360mm with 25mm thick fans will cool a 9900K and a 2080ti.

It does not in my opinion. Not at high frequency, which is the reason why IMO someone would choose a 9900k, or a watercooled solution anyway

we have plenty of options for aircooled components
Watercooling is for sound or most likely performance and sound combo, so why not a dual 280 rad as someone else is prototyping or a single fat 360?

GPUs in the 80s are not cool, no pun intended

Thanks