Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

SomeBeardo

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 5, 2018
I like the second design, where the pattern is aligned to the front, and staggered in the rear.

It's a strong visual clue as to case orientation, and if you were interested in putting the case vertical there would be something a little more interesting at the back/top of the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: KSliger

nes

Efficiency Noob
New User
Mar 5, 2018
I really like this case! Better compatibility and more options without too much size increase. Plus a handle! I'm sold. :thumb:
  • I agree the vent pattern is a bit disorganized with the irregular pattern, but it's growing on me the more I look at it.
  • Dust filtering will be more complicated with vents fully covering both sides of the case. Dust control usually seems like an afterthought with SFF cases...
  • I really like the cutout effect on the sides, but will it affect the rigidity of the case?
  • Maybe the front panel can have more vent ports with the option to add a fan instead of the 2.5" drive. This would also allow you to flip it so the front is on bottom, but would also require some feet for airflow.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I really like this case! Better compatibility and more options without too much size increase. Plus a handle! I'm sold. :thumb:
  • I agree the vent pattern is a bit disorganized with the irregular pattern, but it's growing on me the more I look at it.
  • Dust filtering will be more complicated with vents fully covering both sides of the case. Dust control usually seems like an afterthought with SFF cases...
  • I really like the cutout effect on the sides, but will it affect the rigidity of the case?
  • Maybe the front panel can have more vent ports with the option to add a fan instead of the 2.5" drive. This would also allow you to flip it so the front is on bottom, but would also require some feet for airflow.

Thank you for feedback!

Disorganized grew on me too, was one of the earliest patterns I drew and I kept going back to it over any variation of hex, rounds, obrounds etc. Rectangular just matched the overall shape of case best. Standard repeat pattern was too generic or too close to other designs I see on this forum.

I also drew up irregular on both ends? I like this best.

Cutouts will not affect rigidity, those cutouts are more to hide the fact that panels will not be perfectly inline. (see issues with Cerberus panel gaps.)

This case will be unbelievably strong based on the frame design - I could probably stand on it.

Dust yes, get an air compressor. =P

No plans to change the front for vents now as there's too much ugly cable/rivet/PCB/etc. back there. Plus the standoffs I use to have no screws on front is exactly 25.4mm long, and that's the longest one they make. With the material being 2mm thick I only have ~23mm of space, and there's no slim RGB fans that would look cool in that limited space.

I was going to add more ports to the side front slots, USB type C, audio, etc. Maybe change power button.

Think I'll run the prototype per above because I'm 95% happy with it and get some more feedback.

Needs a name, thinking something to do with the side panel shaped like a K. And I do need some volunteers to test prototypes though! (I don't have any graphics cards to fit check the 2.5 slot width, not worth buying a $1200 GPU to go "yep, fits")

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Are the vents spaced to act as Infinity vents?

Nope, wrong spacing and slot width.

I don't think there'd be anything to mount to them even if they were setup for that?
Maybe a fan in front of single slot GPU? But then you'd have screws on exterior.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Thank you for feedback!

Disorganized grew on me too, was one of the earliest patterns I drew and I kept going back to it over any variation of hex, rounds, obrounds etc. Rectangular just matched the overall shape of case best. Standard repeat pattern was too generic or too close to other designs I see on this forum.

I also drew up irregular on both ends? I like this best.

Cutouts will not affect rigidity, those cutouts are more to hide the fact that panels will not be perfectly inline. (see issues with Cerberus panel gaps.)

This case will be unbelievably strong based on the frame design - I could probably stand on it.

Dust yes, get an air compressor. =P

No plans to change the front for vents now as there's too much ugly cable/rivet/PCB/etc. back there. Plus the standoffs I use to have no screws on front is exactly 25.4mm long, and that's the longest one they make. With the material being 2mm thick I only have ~23mm of space, and there's no slim RGB fans that would look cool in that limited space.

I was going to add more ports to the side front slots, USB type C, audio, etc. Maybe change power button.

Think I'll run the prototype per above because I'm 95% happy with it and get some more feedback.

Needs a name, thinking something to do with the side panel shaped like a K. And I do need some volunteers to test prototypes though! (I don't have any graphics cards to fit check the 2.5 slot width, not worth buying a $1200 GPU to go "yep, fits")

Having thought about it through the day, really like the irregular both ends style.
One more idea came to me about the vent slots; round ended slots like Morse Core, or a horizontal version of the Star Wars Death Star interior panels. Think of the scene when Luke & Princess Leia swing across the gap [Youtube Link]

A name? Will need a bit of thought on that...

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Is this meant to be in the same family as the Cerberus or it it supposed to be its own line? If it is related to the Cerberus, you could name it Kimera Industries Hades, to go along with the Greek mythology naming scheme. This case is visually more aggressive and chaotic than then the Cerberus as well, so naming it after the god of the underworld seems fitting.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Is this meant to be in the same family as the Cerberus or it it supposed to be its own line? If it is related to the Cerberus, you could name it Kimera Industries Hades, to go along with the Greek mythology naming scheme. This case is visually more aggressive and chaotic than then the Cerberus as well, so naming it after the god of the underworld seems fitting.

Not a part of Kimera in any way but does have handle in common and production materials such as the gauge of metal and powder coat colors, only more so to keep the run quantities of those up and price down.

Reactions: renecop545

jkiejr

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2018
liking your newest vent design, would love to see usb c on the front panel.

I would do almost anything to be a prototype tester.

what about chaos but with a k (khaos) or kraken

Reactions: nes and KSliger

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
I've just read through the thread and I like the progress that's been made. I agree with most of the stylistic decisions.
I still think the vent pattern could look less "messy" while still retaining the irregular look. Maybe rounding the corners in the punched vent holes? Or could it be just omitting one more tool size(I'd try omitting the smallest). They could still come in a random order and have both ends staggered.
Another thing that I didn't see discussed is the corners of the case; will they look good when the panels come together like that? It looks very pointy to me..

Reactions: renecop545

Luminair

Chassis Packer
Mar 7, 2018
I really like the case KSliger. I just bought a Cerberus for an mATX build, and was wishing you produced an ITX case with a handle as well.

Count me in for three of these as soon as you have them ready. I'm happy to guinea pig a prototype for you as well.

As for names, a couple. If you want to keep it Greek, C and K are interchangeable in Greek. Kallisto could work. Or if you want to keep the underworld theme, how about Charon (ferryman on the river Styx, fits in with Cerberus)?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Eliminated the 4" cuts and .25" squares, down to only 3" 1.8" 1.2" and .75"

Might rearrange the patterns a bit more, just a quick first draft.

Added cuts on front.

Thoughts?

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
That looks amazing!

Without knowing internal dimensions, how much would volume increase if you shaved enough vertical height for use with noctua sff fans, then made enough room to fit a noctua l12s (70mm)?
Even if a stamped panel to accommodate the cooler was possible.
Or the ability to move the motherboard tray further back for those using a 2 slot gpu.

Last edited:

Ubermarshall

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 11, 2017
Maybe two sets of mounting holes for the motherboard tray on the front and back. One for a 2.5 slot gpu and 50mm fan, the other for a 2 slot card and a 70mm fan.
Again, not sure on clearances, or exactly how much space that .5 of a slot nets you.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It looks better and better with each iteration ! Now we wait for that vertical orientation ;)

mfcods

Efficiency Noob
Mar 19, 2018
Hey, total new guy here, although i've followed the SFF community for some time now.

I love the case, and really want it, but, i could go with the holes in your first design. And that part where the discs are placed, there doesn't need to be any in-/outtake.

I really want the case, since i've gotten pretty tired of my node 304, which about now is a bit bland

Reactions: eggDK