Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

Ambushes

Trash Compacter
Aug 26, 2017
Awesome design! If i had any suggestion, it'd be a fan mount instead of the front 2.5" mount.. :)

I agree with this. Judging from the renders, there's already other SSD mounting spots, and I don't think many ITX builds will need more than 1, if any SATA SSDs at all, at this point. Having even a slim fan mount in the front would be great, and would solve the issue of the front looking too bland.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
Would love to see all the panels be toolless, it just makes it so much easier to upgrade/clean. Also, why are the bottom fans of uneven height in this diagram? Is the bottom terraced?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Would love to see all the panels be toolless, it just makes it so much easier to upgrade/clean. Also, why are the bottom fans of uneven height in this diagram? Is the bottom terraced?

Will change it to be toolless on all panels, using PEM SSS standoffs - basically a ball stud.

https://catalog.pemnet.com/item/sna...ndoffs-types-ssa-ssc-sss-unified/sss-156-24zi

Bottom is showing regular 25mm fan and 15mm fan. I'm not sure how power cables management will work out in there, made a cutout so you can pull excess cable slack up into the sub-front plenum and zip tie it there.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
As a BIG fan of small cases with handles, I'm really pleased to see this addition to the SM family being proposed.
I like the Cerberus look, but with the narrow format that comes from the 'sandwich' construction.
As has been said before, there's only so many ways to build/orient a case; so it does look a bit 'familiar' comparing it to other designs out there.

What will make it stand apart will be the following:
Internal design - drive space, fan mounting and cable space
Exterior design - how the panels fit, vent patterns, shell materials and IO placement and a HANDLE :p
Availability - that's a strength for you @KSliger with your existing manufacturing capability

Like @NFSxperts, I carry an SG05 rig regularly, and although my transport solution works OK, there's something unsatisfactory about it.
Otherwise I am working glacially on an 18L mATX(ish) case mod which will be a similar shape, be more conventional in its internals, but will have a handle.
After the demise of the NCase 'Sidearm/D' I am watching with interest to see how this and Dan's C4 work out as a portable LAN night quick carry rig.
Thanks for again getting Cerberus out there, and for engaging with the SFF community to produce niche cases that we can actually buy rather than just dream of!

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
@KSliger Leaning more towards the 2nd image, the simplicity and the having the contrast bias towards the front easily informs the user of its orientation better.

1st option would be better if the cutouts that reveal the black inner frame were thinner and less obvious. Sort of looks like something the designers at Asus Rog would do lol aka borderline gamer aesthetic. These are simply my own opinions, might not vibe with others.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I agree with @AleksandarK that the look is quite unique in the project space where most are more subdued. In the end, people looking for a more subdued look could just as well go black/black instead of white/black like in the render.

Reactions: AleksandarK

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger Leaning more towards the 2nd image, the simplicity and the having the contrast bias towards the front easily informs the user of its orientation better.

1st option would be better if the cutouts that reveal the black inner frame were thinner and less obvious. Sort of looks like something the designers at Asus Rog would do lol aka borderline gamer aesthetic. These are simply my own opinions, might not vibe with others.

What about this, reduced them .083" (from .583")

Also the beige reminds me of something out of a futuristic sci-fi war movie or something.

Reactions: AleksandarK

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I agree with @AleksandarK that the look is quite unique in the project space where most are more subdued. In the end, people looking for a more subdued look could just as well go black/black instead of white/black like in the render.

Actually good thinking there, black on black kind holds the subtle down well. Would be same colors as Cerberus anyway, so black, grey, beige for simple - white and red for aggressive.

gunpalcyril

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 7, 2016
@KSliger, I did a quick edit for visuals, its slight, but the cutouts revealing the inner black frame are "thinner" per say, just my two cents on what could make it less obtuse.

My quick edit:
ALSO, normally I'm a sucker for red, but in this case I am a huge fan of the black on black, but also a bigger fan of the beige on black... it looks industrial and sci-fi-ish, totally agree!

Last edited:

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I really like the vent redesign. Although it's not a unique feature, the original design makes it look like it came from the Kimera Industries stable, and it's good to differentiate this from the Cerberus family.
The angled cutouts down the edges were a surprise touch, and again add to the unique look. Maybe the front panel could do with a few rows of those cutouts to fully tie it into the overall case design.
The white on black looks particularly striking, and the black on black, very understated.
Great work there.

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
@KSliger Going to voice an unpopular opinion here but I don't think this vent pattern looks good, it feels a bit messy and disorganized since there's no regular pattern in the vent offsets. Got any other alternatives that you're thinking about?

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
@KSliger Going to voice an unpopular opinion here but I don't think this vent pattern looks good, it feels a bit messy and disorganized since there's no regular pattern in the vent offsets. Got any other alternatives that you're thinking about?

What don't you like about it? Not questioning your opinion, I'm interested to see what you think doesn't work.
It looks a lot more 'open' than the original design, which may be better for cooling, but worse for dust!

As I mentioned, I think the original dot pattern may be 'too Cerberus', but although I like this new one; there's something lacking about it.
Again, as I said, maybe repeating the pattern on part of the front (think Microserver Gen 8, but a LOT less) may tie it all in better

renecop545

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jan 2, 2018
What don't you like about it? Not questioning your opinion, I'm interested to see what you think doesn't work.
It looks a lot more 'open' than the original design, which may be better for cooling, but worse for dust!

As I mentioned, I think the original dot pattern may be 'too Cerberus', but although I like this new one; there's something lacking about it.
Again, as I said, maybe repeating the pattern on part of the front (think Microserver Gen 8, but a LOT less) may tie it all in better

Two things:
  • The vents are sharply rectangular, which feels a bit off given that I'm used to seeing more rounded vent cutouts
  • The vent "pattern" is irregular, without any repeating patterns that I can discern, which irks me because it feels messy to me
I have no problems with the vents being more open, I personally would just like the vent pattern to be more regular as I feel that makes the case look more refined and sleek.

Reactions: eggDK

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015

Just a crude attempt. I have 6 tools I'm trying to us: .25"x.25" .75"x.25" 1.2"x.25" 1.8"x.25" 3"x.25" and 4"x.25" and holes are offset .125" edge to edge. So end of row's do not add up exactly unless I use a variation of the same 3 tools in different orders which looks predictable, above was an attempt with 4 tools (you can see a small misalignment on row that ends in two .25x.25's.)

I'm stumped on the front panel, want the case to be able to be set face down so I can't really break it up with IO board, LED, whatever.

But going with a tweak I made to @renecop545 patterned layout, I moved the stagger to the rear of the side panel and made it inline on front? Think I like the original more.