Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Nope, sadly ... I sold my old ATX, maybe I should've kept it.
Maybe I will open a ticket with Corsair and ask for RMA with replacement sent upfront.

I am still not sure if it is not BIOS or Windows itselft, maybe even SSD. The only thing I know has issues is Windows, as it logs in extremely slow in the profile as well as some settings (like quick access or background on signin) are bugged. And it's upgraded from Win 8 across 3 disk :D

But if it is Windows I thing it should leave any trail at least.

I will run some Prime and Heaven to test but I don't think it will show something.
Try to reset windows 10.

Generally faulty SSD is leading to blue screen with dumping...

Sudden black out/hard reset are generally related to PSU.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Are there any recorded attempts of custom loop in SM550?
Something like XSPC120mm and Alphacool DC LT with 15mm fans at the bottom with taller feet?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Are there any recorded attempts of custom loop in SM550?
Something like XSPC120mm and Alphacool DC LT with 15mm fans at the bottom with taller feet?
As far as I tested, there is no space for radiator at bottom (except 92mm 645LT).

On top on my comment on IS-47K topic, you can also try to mount 645LT, best cpu cooling solution inside SM550 but you will need to find some compromises with GPU, as best CPU cooling is achieved with intake 92mm fan, exhausting hot air towards GPU.

wombinchen

Efficiency Noob
Jul 12, 2019
Got the SM550 as a christmas present (slate grey, vented panels). :)

Holy shit, that case feels nice. Looks nice, too, but the haptics are out of this world. I have had Lian Li cases in the past, which I already thought to have good build quality. But somehow the Sliger feels even more premium.

Only trouble with this present is that I can't realistically transplant my current system into the 550 for a variety of reasons (matx mainboard, gpu in custom watercooling loop...).

Hence my original plan was to simply wait for zen4/alder lake and upgrade then. But it was just impossible with the empty 550 sitting there and taunting me.

So I just went on an impulse buy shopping spree and ordered essentially an (almost) entirely new build. o_O

Only things remaining from the old build will be a m.2 ssd and the PSU. Damn you, Sliger!

Component pricing was a bit on the high side, but not as bad as I feared. Managed to pick up a 5800x (plan to run this guy with below stock power limits) at 50 dollars above msrp and an evga RTX3070 xc3 ultra at 100 dollars above msrp.

Once I actually build the system, I will report how everything worked out with my list of components. Size-wise I made pretty conservative choices though, so I guess everything should fit.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Got the SM550 as a christmas present (slate grey, vented panels). :)

Holy shit, that case feels nice. Looks nice, too, but the haptics are out of this world. I have had Lian Li cases in the past, which I already thought to have good build quality. But somehow the Sliger feels even more premium.

Only trouble with this present is that I can't realistically transplant my current system into the 550 for a variety of reasons (matx mainboard, gpu in custom watercooling loop...).

Hence my original plan was to simply wait for zen4/alder lake and upgrade then. But it was just impossible with the empty 550 sitting there and taunting me.

So I just went on an impulse buy shopping spree and ordered essentially an (almost) entirely new build. o_O

Only things remaining from the old build will be a m.2 ssd and the PSU. Damn you, Sliger!

Component pricing was a bit on the high side, but not as bad as I feared. Managed to pick up a 5800x (plan to run this guy with below stock power limits) at 50 dollars above msrp and an evga RTX3070 xc3 ultra at 100 dollars above msrp.

Once I actually build the system, I will report how everything worked out with my list of components. Size-wise I made pretty conservative choices though, so I guess everything should fit.
Nice picks!
Finding right now XC3 cards is impossible le where I live (France)...zen 3 are very very difficult to find too.
What will your cpu cooling? Psu? MB, fan setup?

wombinchen

Efficiency Noob
Jul 12, 2019
Nice picks!
Finding right now XC3 cards is impossible le where I live (France)...zen 3 are very very difficult to find too.
What will your cpu cooling? Psu? MB, fan setup?
Zen 3 is actually surprisingly easy to find right now in Germany, at least as far as 5600x/5800x are concerned. 5900x/5950x are problematic to find here at reasonable price, but I didn't want to stretch my budget that far anyway.

XC3 cards are very rare here, too. I think the first time I saw any 3000 series XC3 was around mid-december, but it was very expensive. Earlier today my usual shop suddenly had XC3 in stock for more or less reasonable prices (actually both 3070 and even 3080), so I pulled the trigger.

As far as my planned setup is concerned:
- Sliger SM 550, 2x vented side panels
- ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax
- Ryzen 5800x
- Cryorig C7G, fan replaced with Noctua NF-A9x14 chromax
- 2 * Noctua NF-S12A chromax as bottom exhaust (I heard exhaust works better than intake for SM 550)
- 2 * 16 GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo
- EVGA RTX 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
- Be Quiet SFX-L-Power 600 Watt (already used in my previous rig)
- 1 TB Corsair m.2 SSD (already used in my previous rig)

Not sure if the PSU will fit (size-wise), since it is SFX-L instead of regular SFX. But I'll try.
C7G is probably also a bit of a stretch for 5800x, but apparently there is something called "Eco Mode". I found very little info about that, but I thought I will give that a try. If Eco mode turns out to be a bust, I will check what kind of other options this motherboard has as far as keeping the CPU power consumption in check.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
You didn't list any SATA drives, but nevertheless - this motherboard has angled SATA ports and they will be blocked by the PSU.
As for the CPU cooler, you can read couple of posts back - we are discussing exactly how cooling can be improved. Also the last posts here: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/t...5mm-fan-black-ridge-alternative.13754/page-13
In few words - you are limited to 55mm cooler height. And 1 watercooling option.

Eco Mode has a potential, based on few test I was able to do before returning my 5900x for WHEA errors. Basically it limits your multicore performance but keeps the single-core one.

Reactions: wombinchen

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Zen 3 is actually surprisingly easy to find right now in Germany, at least as far as 5600x/5800x are concerned. 5900x/5950x are problematic to find here at reasonable price, but I didn't want to stretch my budget that far anyway.

XC3 cards are very rare here, too. I think the first time I saw any 3000 series XC3 was around mid-december, but it was very expensive. Earlier today my usual shop suddenly had XC3 in stock for more or less reasonable prices (actually both 3070 and even 3080), so I pulled the trigger.

As far as my planned setup is concerned:
- Ryzen 5800x
- 2 * Noctua NF-S12A chromax as bottom exhaust (I heard exhaust works better than intake for SM 550)

Not sure if the PSU will fit (size-wise), since it is SFX-L instead of regular SFX. But I'll try.
C7G is probably also a bit of a stretch for 5800x, but apparently there is something called "Eco Mode". I found very little info about that, but I thought I will give that a try. If Eco mode turns out to be a bust, I will check what kind of other options this motherboard has as far as keeping the CPU power consumption in check.
Your setup looks great!

SFX-L is working well in SM550 (I did it also).
Bottom fans as exhaust is the best setup for GPU thermals.
My only recommendation is to find proper underclock/undervolt on your CPU versus your C7. IS-60 remains best air cpu cooler inside, however it requires specific MB, RAM (not VLP but vengeance LPX) and potentially some small & cheap mod on side panels.

Check my build log (in my signature)..:)

Keep us posted!

3dl1r

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 6, 2019
10 days ago i finished building the sm580 with 10700k, rtx 2080, 64 gb ballistix ram and 600 w platinum psu. I waited too long for a 750w psu, but they are either stratospherically priced or not available. The gpu temperature is great with this case. As for the cpu, i installed nzxt 280mm aio and the cpu temps are great also. The experience of building with this case was rather challenging and a bit frustrating, mainly because of the components, especially the gigabyte z490i ultra has a couple of drawbacks. I have no main complaints about the case itself apart from a couple of screws being too tight which wore out eventually after brute force was need to remove them, and the difficulty of aligning the io shield with the case cut out. I managed to force the board into the cut out nevertheless, after several attempts which involved forceful pushing from the side and tightening screws with the other hand. I am not sure wether there is some tilt from the case production or the board itself. To be fair the z490i ultra was introduced after the case was produced.

Overall experience, this case is worth the effort.

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
10 days ago i finished building the sm580 with 10700k, rtx 2080, 64 gb ballistix ram and 600 w platinum psu. I waited too long for a 750w psu, but they are either stratospherically priced or not available. The gpu temperature is great with this case. As for the cpu, i installed nzxt 280mm aio and the cpu temps are great also. The experience of building with this case was rather challenging and a bit frustrating, mainly because of the components, especially the gigabyte z490i ultra has a couple of drawbacks. I have no main complaints about the case itself apart from a couple of screws being too tight which wore out eventually after brute force was need to remove them, and the difficulty of aligning the io shield with the case cut out. I managed to force the board into the cut out nevertheless, after several attempts which involved forceful pushing from the side and tightening screws with the other hand. I am not sure wether there is some tilt from the case production or the board itself. To be fair the z490i ultra was introduced after the case was produced.

Overall experience, this case is worth the effort.
Could you share any picture of final build please?..:)

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020

So, some food for thoughts :)

This is 3D printed DC-LT + Res combo, which fist exactly between the GPU and the side of the case (the reason it sticks on the picture is because of the SATA cables behind it which I wasn't willing to move).

So ...

IF one would:
1. Find a way to precisely place one TX240 either by drilling holes or with customer bracket (3D Printed)
2. Watercool both CPU and GPU
3. Use stock PSU cables
4. Mount tall legs

... I believe this might actually work.

The way I see it, it goes like this:
1. Hard mounted pump to the rad (similar to what @fabio and Ali from Optimum Tech did)
2. Outlet pump to GPU (actually, if GPU block is not used, I don't believe it will work at all. This is the only way to route the tube to the CPU)
3. Outlet GPU to CPU below the IO and around the CPU 8pin
4. Outlet CPU to the rad
5. Obviously with top outlet on the pump, the loop must be airless.

Obvious issues:
1. You can't do Pump->CPU->GPU, only the other way around.
2. The 300W of heat will go directly on the CPU, which will add another 140W.
3. Likely the radiator will not handle them very well

Generally I want to try this - I like the size of SM550 so much that SM570 seems huge :D
But 3 reasons are stopping me:
1. Time ...
2. I like my custom cable too much
3. Price is a bit higher for an experiment

Thanks for reading my bullet-points post :D

Reactions: MarcParis

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

So, some food for thoughts :)

This is 3D printed DC-LT + Res combo, which fist exactly between the GPU and the side of the case (the reason it sticks on the picture is because of the SATA cables behind it which I wasn't willing to move).

So ...

IF one would:
1. Find a way to precisely place one TX240 either by drilling holes or with customer bracket (3D Printed)
2. Watercool both CPU and GPU
3. Use stock PSU cables
4. Mount tall legs

... I believe this might actually work.

The way I see it, it goes like this:
1. Hard mounted pump to the rad (similar to what @fabio and Ali from Optimum Tech did)
2. Outlet pump to GPU (actually, if GPU block is not used, I don't believe it will work at all. This is the only way to route the tube to the CPU)
3. Outlet GPU to CPU below the IO and around the CPU 8pin
4. Outlet CPU to the rad
5. Obviously with top outlet on the pump, the loop must be airless.

Obvious issues:
1. You can't do Pump->CPU->GPU, only the other way around.
2. The 300W of heat will go directly on the CPU, which will add another 140W.
3. Likely the radiator will not handle them very well

Generally I want to try this - I like the size of SM550 so much that SM570 seems huge :D
But 3 reasons are stopping me:
1. Time ...
2. I like my custom cable too much
3. Price is a bit higher for an experiment

Thanks for reading my bullet-points post :D
Based on optimum tech video in form D T1 with RTX 3090, tx 240 radiator is not enough to cool next gen gpu.
Not convinced by the cooling potential but I like ingeniosity..;)

Windeh

Cable Smoosher
Oct 27, 2019

System:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
CPU: AMD R9 5950X
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming OC GEFORCE RTX 3090
RAM: 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz CL14-15-15-35
Storage: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD
PSU: CORSAIR SF750
Wiring: MDPC-X 15-AWG hook-up wire Black
Case: Sliger SM580
Sound Attenuation: AcoustiPack LITE 4mm / AcoustiML OEM 3-Layer 12mm / Sorbothane Feet 70 Duro

Cooling:
Controller: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT
Pump: EK-DDC 3.2 PWM with Heatkiller DDC Acetal Top
Radiator: Bitspower Leviathan XF 280 by Hardware Labs
Fans: 4x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
Air Filter: DEMCi magnetic mesh filter
CPU Block: Optimus Foundation Nickel-Acetal AMD
GPU Block: EK-Quantum Vector TUF RTX 3080/3090 Nickel-Acetal
Flow Meter: Aquacomputers Flow sensor high flow LT
Coolant Filter: MIPS Acetal
Fittings: Bitspower Carbon Black / Optimus Flex Compression
Tubing: Tygon A-60-G Chemical Dispensing Tubing 16/10
Coolant: Aquacomputer Double Protect Ultra

Temperature Sensors:
  1. Intake-Front
  2. Intake-Rear
  3. Exhaust
  4. Radiator In
  5. Radiator Out
  6. PSU

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016

System:
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix X570-I Gaming
CPU: AMD R9 5950X
GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming OC GEFORCE RTX 3090
RAM: 32GB G.Skill DDR4 3600MHz CL14-15-15-35
Storage: 2TB WD_BLACK SN850 NVMe SSD
PSU: CORSAIR SF750
Wiring: MDPC-X 15-AWG hook-up wire Black
Case: Sliger SM580
Sound Attenuation: AcoustiPack LITE 4mm / AcoustiML OEM 3-Layer 12mm / Sorbothane Feet 70 Duro

Cooling:
Controller: Aquacomputer Aquaero 6 LT
Pump: EK-DDC 3.2 PWM with Heatkiller DDC Acetal Top
Radiator: Bitspower Leviathan XF 280 by Hardware Labs
Fans: 4x Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM
Air Filter: DEMCi magnetic mesh filter
CPU Block: Optimus Foundation Nickel-Acetal AMD
GPU Block: EK-Quantum Vector TUF RTX 3080/3090 Nickel-Acetal
Flow Meter: Aquacomputers Flow sensor high flow LT
Coolant Filter: MIPS Acetal
Fittings: Bitspower Carbon Black / Optimus Flex Compression
Tubing: Tygon A-60-G Chemical Dispensing Tubing 16/10
Coolant: Aquacomputer Double Protect Ultra

Temperature Sensors:
  1. Intake-Front
  2. Intake-Rear
  3. Exhaust
  4. Radiator In
  5. Radiator Out
  6. PSU
Thanks for sharing your build. Have you monitored temperature, especially RTX 3090 GDDR6X?

wombinchen

Efficiency Noob
Jul 12, 2019
Hey guys,

just wanted to give a small update on my SM 550 build. Won't put up a full build log, because I really didn't include anything out of the ordinary. Specs in Spoiler tags, since I already posted them earlier on this page back.
- Ryzen 5800x

A couple of pics of the build. Sorry, the image order somehow got messed up completely.

All in all, the build went relatively well, just a couple of pointers for all those who follow and plan on a similar setup:
  • Despite buying it in late December 2020, my ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming ITX/ax was delivered with a "1.00" Bios version. This means it did not boot with the 5800x and I could also not update the bios with the 5800x. Usually I would have brought it to the shop for a bios update, but with Covid and all, I ended up buying/selling a second AMD CPU just for the bios update. Very annoying.

I also want to note that in theory, AMD support offers a loaned "Boot Kit" for this exact scenario. However, in practice with the amount of paperwork you have to send them in order to get that, I can only call that a marketing hoax, not an actual customer service thing (you have to mail them proof that the merchant could not provide a bios update, proof that the motherboard manufacturer could not provide a bios update, proof it was a legitimate purchase, endless serial numbers etc.)

• Cryorig C7G does a somewhat decent job with the 5800x in Eco mode. But I would certainly not call it silent, even in eco mode. Maybe you could get it silent with an even more aggressive underclock. Personally I didn't do extensive testing though. Because I usually game with headphones, I don't really care that much about a little bit of noise to be honest...

• I would definitely not recommend using a SFX-L PSU in the SM 550 in combination with two 25mm thick bottom fans. i had to improvise a fan shield to stop the cables from intruding in the fan below the PSU and I had to really cram that shield in there with force. I'm talking about "ouch that can't be good" levels of force.

I would certainly recommend a regular SFX PSU 100%. If you have to go with SFX-L for whatever reason, it is possible, but it certainly isn't great. Maybe if you use a 15mm thick fan it gets better. You could potentially just use no front fan whatsoever. Not even sure if that would be so bad, actually (all the important stuff is cooled by the back fan mostly).

• In general, the 5800x does draw a lot more power than I expected in regular desktop use / semi-idle scenarios. With regards to power efficiency it is good under full load (that's why all the reviewers are raging about it), and it also decent in full idle (i.e. no background applications whatsoever). It is however surprisingly bad in a 5% load scenario where you have Steam, Uplay and a couple of browser windows open. Just keep that in mind when planning your cooling/noise levels.
Also, unfortunately the front USB-C in my SM 550 is not working 😔. Not sure if anything is broken, or if it is an interference issues because a lot of cables run in parallel. But the port on my board is working fine. I verified that by plugging the front USB-C of my old case in it.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Damn, I can't stop loving this case anytime I see it!
You touched couple of things which are in great interest to me. I hope you can share some more info on this :)
I am running 5900X with Wraith Spire with Noctua Fan. The reason is that my MSI has non-standard backplate and any new cooler will require cutting the backplate (I know Cryorig has mount without backplate, but I don't like these).

• How are your temps and when you say "Eco Mode", what exactly do you refer to? My MSI has 3 eco modes - 45W, 65W and 95W. I found that Eco Mode itself is rather restrictive. You get good results in in terms of core boost, but as soon as you load all cores, the clock drops dramatically. What I found is that if you rather enter manual PPT + Curve Optimizer + Voltage Offset, the results are a lot better when we talk of multicore.

• I can confirm that full load is a lot more forgiving on the cooler and the noise than the 5% load. But I guess the reason is that the MB readings are somehow off due to how Ryzen report temps. What I did is to really delay the fan speed increase and apply rather aggressive temp curve. For an example, until 80C I run at 25% fan. Only after that it starts to ramp up and even than with 0.3s delay. I sit around 55C at full idle, 63C at desktop usage and 85C at full load. Don't have time for games :/

• As for your USB-C - do you have the combined version with single header? My front USB-C is also not working ... kinda. I found that if I rotate the USB cable (ironic, isn't it) both on the side of the PC and the connected device (you need to try all combinations), one works after all. I wrote yo Sliger and they suggested that this is rather an issue with the cable and not the front panel. Which I can hardly accept as it work on the back port as well. Maybe give them a shout and tell them this isn't isolated case.

I am sticking with the Spire for now, but I have Alphacool Eisbear LT at hand so I can try my luck with TX240 at the bottom somewhere along the road :)

wombinchen

Efficiency Noob
Jul 12, 2019
Damn, I can't stop loving this case anytime I see it!
You touched couple of things which are in great interest to me. I hope you can share some more info on this :)
I am running 5900X with Wraith Spire with Noctua Fan. The reason is that my MSI has non-standard backplate and any new cooler will require cutting the backplate (I know Cryorig has mount without backplate, but I don't like these).

• How are your temps and when you say "Eco Mode", what exactly do you refer to? My MSI has 3 eco modes - 45W, 65W and 95W. I found that Eco Mode itself is rather restrictive. You get good results in in terms of core boost, but as soon as you load all cores, the clock drops dramatically. What I found is that if you rather enter manual PPT + Curve Optimizer + Voltage Offset, the results are a lot better when we talk of multicore.

• I can confirm that full load is a lot more forgiving on the cooler and the noise than the 5% load. But I guess the reason is that the MB readings are somehow off due to how Ryzen report temps. What I did is to really delay the fan speed increase and apply rather aggressive temp curve. For an example, until 80C I run at 25% fan. Only after that it starts to ramp up and even than with 0.3s delay. I sit around 55C at full idle, 63C at desktop usage and 85C at full load. Don't have time for games :/

• As for your USB-C - do you have the combined version with single header? My front USB-C is also not working ... kinda. I found that if I rotate the USB cable (ironic, isn't it) both on the side of the PC and the connected device (you need to try all combinations), one works after all. I wrote yo Sliger and they suggested that this is rather an issue with the cable and not the front panel. Which I can hardly accept as it work on the back port as well. Maybe give them a shout and tell them this isn't isolated case.

I am sticking with the Spire for now, but I have Alphacool Eisbear LT at hand so I can try my luck with TX240 at the bottom somewhere along the road :)
Okay, I know this answer is kind of a little bit late, but just in case it is still of interest to you (or anyone else finding this thread):

If I understand my ASRock bios well enough, I am talking about "65W" Eco Mode. As I see it, it selects the specific variant of the Eco mode automatically based on the installed CPU, and doesn't let me set it manually. However, take this info with a grain of salt. I am by no means an expert on these kind of things.

Since I last posted here, I did some optimizations, but really only for the fan curve, not the power settings. I am now running a custom fan curve that just barely keeps my system in a subjectively very silent state for web browsing / desktop usage (still audible though). And basically once any kind of actual load comes in, the system will switch to a very aggressive (and loud) fan setup right away. The reasoning here is that because I game with headphones, I really don't care about the noise under load. So I am running this setup to be perfectly safe and in order to not have to worry about temps at all. Once I reached my goal of quietness at semi-idle, I stopped further optimization efforts (since I am now happy with the system :) ).

That being said, CPU temps in idle with my setting are around the 43-48 degree Celsius range. When I talk idle, I always mean "light use" though (webbrowser running, steam in the background etc.), not the kind of artificial deep idle you will find in hardware reviews.

Under full load (prime95), CPU temp quickly climbs to about 75 degree Celsius. Curiously, the power draw according to the app "Core Temp" in this scenario is stable at 87W. In this usecase my system is subjectively very loud. But that is expected since I am running very high fan speeds already at 60 degree Celsius. The funny thing is that the moment I turn prime95 on, the fan starts to immediately rev up. So I guess your angle with the 0.3s delay makes a lot of sense to cover short load spikes. I was initially thinking in this direction myself actually, but ultimately I found out that fiddling around with with is simply not required with my typical use.

Regarding the USB-C you are right, it is actually the same with mine as well! front panel actually does work, but only in exactly one of the four options (when turning the cable around at both sides). I only have one type-c to type-c cable to test, but I am not convinced this can be the cables fault. When I use my backpanel on my mainboard, all four orientations work perfectly fine, both with my smartphone as well as with my external harddrive. Unfortunately I no longer have my old case to test a different front panel. But back then i did a few tries. Can't imagine I always put the cable in the exact same orientation every single time when testing on the other case. That would be a huge coincidence. As far as I can tell, same mainboard, same cable, different case the FP USB-C worked perfectly fine. Just in SM550 I have this weird orientation issue, same as you. Will actually write to Sliger about that. I have the version with separate headers for type-A and type-C port (I think the internal header for the type-C port is called "type E").

Reactions: Tuscany