Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
@Tuscany Very interesting reading..:)
For my understanding, I won't call it as a tight fit as hdmi is not available as card is not sitting vertically.

I encountered different issues while mounting my MSI GTX 1080 ti inside SM550.
I didn't got issues with stud but it's due to GPU shroud (Mine is quite opened in this area)

Got similar issue on 8pins connectors.

You can add some offset on side panels using my small mod (adding washers below stud) :

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Thanks again for your experiment.

Please could you confirm the following?
  • After cutting/sanding one of insert rivet :
    • does stud still firmly maintained?
    • does GPU assembly process easier in case? (no angle on PCIe bracket?)

Thank you in advance!

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
The answer to both question is YES.

• I didn't completely remove the rivet as I simply didn't have access and I was trying to be careful as the rest of the hardware was in the case. Actually if you look closely at the first picture (you might need to download them for closer inspection, I think the resolution and the details are somehow preserved) the rivet is sanded at an angle matching the card. Part of the rivet is still there and it holds the stud insert firmly.
  • The GPU still magically fits, you still need to unscrew the PCI-E slot holder/bracket, but once in place, the card does not have an angle anymore

I tried to take picture in 3 angles for you to see. The only visible issue is at the back of the card where the cables are pushing the card a little.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
The answer to both question is YES.

• I didn't completely remove the rivet as I simply didn't have access and I was trying to be careful as the rest of the hardware was in the case. Actually if you look closely at the first picture (you might need to download them for closer inspection, I think the resolution and the details are somehow preserved) the rivet is sanded at an angle matching the card. Part of the rivet is still there and it holds the stud insert firmly.
  • The GPU still magically fits, you still need to unscrew the PCI-E slot holder/bracket, but once in place, the card does not have an angle anymore

I tried to take picture in 3 angles for you to see. The only visible issue is at the back of the card where the cables are pushing the card a little.

Thanks @Tuscany !
Then RX6800XT is fitting nicely inside SM550!
Tight fit with minor mod, but it fits...! With my side panel mod, it should also improve turbulence a little bit!

Now hardest part will be to pick up RX 6800XT or even RX 6900XT...:D

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
Thanks @Tuscany !
Then RX6800XT is fitting nicely inside SM550!
Tight fit with minor mod, but it fits...! With my side panel mod, it should also improve turbulence a little bit!

Now hardest part will be to pick up RX 6800XT or even RX 6900XT...:D
wait for reviews but if you aren't on 4k res, i think the price diff isn't as worth it.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
wait for reviews but if you aren't on 4k res, i think the price diff isn't as worth it.
I'm looking at 4K resolution only...;)

I could wait for RTX 3080 ti, but most probably it won't fit SM550, except some very specific variant (like XC3)...but cooling could become an issue as it will be a 350W GPU card.

Anyway chances to get RX 6900XT in 2020 should be closed to 0...:D
At least we could find some RTX 3090...but 1000€ for a GPU will be my limit anyway.

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
Yeah 3090 are starting to hold stock now that the 6900 xt seems to match/outperform it in non DLSS/Ray tracing for significantly less money, i'm not sure how much better or worse the 3090 is in terms of productivity...

I guess allot will depend on how good AMD drivers are for Big Navi, i've not heard any horror stories yet?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Yeah 3090 are starting to hold stock now that the 6900 xt seems to match/outperform it in non DLSS/Ray tracing for significantly less money, i'm not sure how much better or worse the 3090 is in terms of productivity...

I guess allot will depend on how good AMD drivers are for Big Navi, i've not heard any horror stories yet?
Regarding Radeon driver, last horror show was for RX5700 based on new RDNA architecture. Basically each time you are changing noticeably architecture you are getting driver issues..:D
Anyhow for RX6000 series no red alert on driver so far.

However some additonal features will be more than welcome :
  • Major update in AMD video capturing tool
  • Equivalent of DLSS

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
Regarding Radeon driver, last horror show was for RX5700 based on new RDNA architecture. Basically each time you are changing noticeably architecture you are getting driver issues..:D
Anyhow for RX6000 series no red alert on driver so far.

However some additonal features will be more than welcome :
  • Major update in AMD video capturing tool
  • Equivalent of DLSS

I'd disagree with that, nvidia drivers have always been superior... even when team green have architecture changes. Unless you mean it's every time AMD/ATi change architecture?

Reactions: Diverge

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I'd disagree with that, nvidia drivers have always been superior... even when team green have architecture changes. Unless you mean it's every time AMD/ATi change architecture?
In terms of general stability I agree...even if I never suffer from major driver issues on either ATI, AMD or Nvidia..:D

For Nvidia, I appreciate a lot shadowplay...other than that I'm not using any specific feature.

robojim

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 18, 2020
I see you forgot the days of Fermi

But Nvidia since then hasn't had as many issues (Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal all were great out of the box)

Reactions: Kit

Kit

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 2, 2019
I see you forgot the days of Fermi

But Nvidia since then hasn't had as many issues (Kepler, Maxwell and Pascal all were great out of the box)

As I understood it the issues where at a hardware level (TSMC process), not driver quality?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
anyway, main focus & difficult points will be get all those new hardware : Zen 3, RX 6000 cards or RTX 3000...

From GPU point of view, for SM550 upgrade path is simple :
  • AMD : RX 6800XT/6900XT reference card
  • Nvidia : RTX 3080/3090 XC3 (EVGA)
  • CPU : Zen 3
Smart Access Memory support on B450/X470 have been confirmed as long as you are using Zen 3 processor..:D

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
For what purpose?

Basically want a 3 slot GPU case that isn't too big and can house 1x 3.5 HDD. Both cases fit the criteria, but I'm having trouble deciding between them.

N case's thin panels are not great for me, but S610 seems like brushed metal like its brother cases. I dont know which would have a better build quality.

S610:
  • 3x card slot openings for 3-slot PCIe cards
  • Maximum card height: 132mm
  • Maximum card length: 323mm
  • Maximum card width: 70mm (3-slot including back plate)

N case:
  • Maximum length:
    • 322mm (cards up to 45mm (2.2 slots) thick)
    • 280mm (cards up to 60mm (3 slots) thick)
    • 290mm (cards up to 60mm (3 slots) thick with front I/O ports removed)
  • Maximum height (AKA width):
    • 140mm at mid-card
    • 130mm (first 5mm at back corner)
    • 125mm (portion of card over 280mm long)
    • Please allow 15-20mm for PCIe power connectors
I'm guessing S610 has slightly better GPU compatibility?

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Well I've studied S610, S620 & Ncase M1.

S610 & Ncase M1 have both restrictions on GPU size.
  • S610 GPU height (132mm) is clearly an issue for me as it almost GPU card to PCIe Bracket height.
    • For example all major custom RX6800XT (nitro +, red devil) cannot be put in it
    • Even RTX 3080 cards, you have more choice
  • Ncase M1 has different constraint. You can fit a Asus TUF RTX 3080 in it as reference..not bad at all.
I guess everything depends on GPU you are able to grab...that's a major concern right now...but could be also a future issue.

If you can, my recommendation will be for S620 as there is no compromise on GPU (and also CPU) coolers.

PS : Good point is that S610/620 could use vertical or horizontal stand

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
I have a question - I am recently getting lock-ups while in idle and low load (don't have time for gaming :/). It seems completely random and it is full lock-up - no event in event viewer, no minidump, no bsod. Lock-up and self restart in 5-6 seconds.

Could this be because the side of the GPU is touching the case? In can be seen in pictures above.
I doubt it is shorting, but some other form of electrical disturbance, maybe?
The aluminium/silver part is the one making contact.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I have a question - I am recently getting lock-ups while in idle and low load (don't have time for gaming :/). It seems completely random and it is full lock-up - no event in event viewer, no minidump, no bsod. Lock-up and self restart in 5-6 seconds.

Could this be because the side of the GPU is touching the case? In can be seen in pictures above.
I doubt it is shorting, but some other form of electrical disturbance, maybe?
The aluminium/silver part is the one making contact.
First test to do is to check PSU. Have you another & trusty PSU? If yes, plug it to your system & see if you experienced issues.

Tuscany

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 26, 2020
Nope, sadly ... I sold my old ATX, maybe I should've kept it.
Maybe I will open a ticket with Corsair and ask for RMA with replacement sent upfront.

I am still not sure if it is not BIOS or Windows itselft, maybe even SSD. The only thing I know has issues is Windows, as it logs in extremely slow in the profile as well as some settings (like quick access or background on signin) are bugged. And it's upgraded from Win 8 across 3 disk :D

But if it is Windows I thing it should leave any trail at least.

I will run some Prime and Heaven to test but I don't think it will show something.