Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
@KSliger I got to thinking about all the empty space in the GPU side on my build (sm580), and how well the gpu fan intake + top&bottom exhaust works for thermals. For v2 what about throwing in 4 rivnuts top and bottom/ front back and have an optional support bracket for a 240mm slim rad vertically like the nCase M1 has. Correct me if I am wrong, but there is about 80+ mm from back of gpu card to outside panel. That, I think is enough room for a slim 240mm rad + fans + waterblock + gpu card + 10-20mm air routing clearance. It would be tight, but a slim 240mm + 280mm rad up top + 6 fans would be alot of cooling tdp. I've got a rivnut tool on order, so I plan tinker myself. I'm also thinking of adding a similar bracket to mount a slim fan directly over vrms to better support the 3950x when it comes out.

I think with v2 this might be possible if it's wider. With my water block and GPU, I measure 49ish mm from side panel to gpu, so slim rad plus fans (45 mm) have very little breathing room. I think most with dual rad builds put the slim rad in the bottom right now (myself included). Plus the side mount rad would hide the sexy waterblock ;)

Reactions: CountNoctua

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I am really on the fence about making a V2 of the SM580, making it larger for all these various 280mm radiators makes it WAY bigger.
Think people understand the 580 has its limitations and those need to be worked with.
Same is true for all SFF cases - ex no one complains the A4 can't fit 2.5-slot GPUs.

No solid commitment to a V2 yet, just collecting ideas if it does happen.

Either way I will be implementing a few other minor fixes in rolling revisions.
EX: fixing PSU bracket for the EVGA SFX PSUs, getting rid of the rear plastic caps, fixing SSD mounting.

Might try and push anyone who needs more than 240mm or the limited choices of 280mm radiators up to a SV590 for 360mm AIOs.

Talyrius

Average Stuffer
Jun 27, 2018
@KSliger
In a future revision, can you allow for the PSU to be mounted slightly closer to the front of the case on its bracket to allow room for the 90° SATA connectors that are found on boards like the one from ASRock (X570 Phantom Gaming-ITX/TB3).

oliveoil

Cable Smoosher
Jun 13, 2019
@KSliger
Any updates on the European distribution of the SM580? Will the units be preconfigured or customizable as on your website? Do you have a (rough) estimate of pricing?

Planck

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
I am really on the fence about making a V2 of the SM580, making it larger for all these various 280mm radiators makes it WAY bigger.
Think people understand the 580 has its limitations and those need to be worked with.
Same is true for all SFF cases - ex no one complains the A4 can't fit 2.5-slot GPUs.

EX: fixing PSU bracket for the EVGA SFX PSUs, getting rid of the rear plastic caps, fixing SSD mounting.

Might try and push anyone who needs more than 240mm or the limited choices of 280mm radiators up to a SV590 for 360mm AIOs.
I would not have bought the sm580 if it were bigger, and would have preferred for it to be shorter actually. If someone wants bigger, there is the Cerebus. I think clear size differentiation is a good thing.

Reactions: Nanook

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019

How about keeping the SM580 the way it with revisions, and adding an SM590 that could fulfill what the V2 would have been? Could even be taller to allow fans and rad at the bottom or be wider or both

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I would not have bought the sm580 if it were bigger, and would have preferred for it to be shorter actually. If someone wants bigger, there is the Cerebus. I think clear size differentiation is a good thing.

How about keeping the SM580 the way it with revisions, and adding an SM590 that could fulfill what the V2 would have been? Could even be taller to allow fans and rad at the bottom or be wider or both

These are both thoughts I had when working on it.

Might be better to do an updated version of Cerberus with the ability to swap out the rear panels to allow for standard mATX layout or for a 2x 280mm layout.

See this mod example in an X:

Dynamite

Trash Compacter
Apr 20, 2018
Might be better to do an updated version of Cerberus with the ability to swap out the rear panels to allow for standard mATX layout or for a 2x 280mm layout.

That is my dream SFF case for water cooling. I like the layout so much better than the sandwich cases. I was worried that you had abandoned it after the success of the SM cases so I'm glad to hear you're still considering it!

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
That is my dream SFF case for water cooling. I like the layout so much better than the sandwich cases. I was worried that you had abandoned it after the success of the SM cases so I'm glad to hear you're still considering it!
Agree 100% on this. mATX is a mostly dead form factor, and unless 3rd gen Threadripper brings it back in a major way, the Cerberus will become less and less useful over mITX cases that provide better flexibility. Allowing a shift downwards to accommodate 280mm rads on both the top and bottom (with pump mounting, basically exactly how that picture looks) I think would be perfect. Then leave the SM580 for folks that want a 280mm AIO + beastly 3-slot air-cooled GPU.

Reactions: CountNoctua

arjan2856

Cable Smoosher
Jul 16, 2018
I still love that Cerberus Red powder coat, can you bring that back to the SM series as well? ?

Is the SM580 at least going to be modified soon to fit a wider range of 280 AIO's than just the Kraken? Most new version radiators seem to have the square end caps now, NZXT might do the same at some point. Since this case is specifically designed for 280 AIO's i think a redesign for this issue is valid, even if it means a slight dimension increase. Or can the front side panel studs not be moved to avoid the issue? If they would be same position as the rear ones, there would be no problem.

Last edited:

Pokepunch

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 22, 2019
I'm wanting to place fans on the bottom of my 560, does anybody know of any taller feet that would work with the case?

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I'm wanting to place fans on the bottom of my 560, does anybody know of any taller feet that would work with the case?

the stock 12mm feet are not enough clearance to mount fans below the case, but you can take a look at rubber feet usa. They are not threaded so you will need threaded inserts 10-32 that you can get from a hardware store

Edited in italics due to misunderstood original question.

Last edited:

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
I don't think fans will fit under there with the stock feet Dr. I definitely could be wrong though. I don't have a fan handy atm to test it but my finger wont haha.

DrHudacris

King of Cable Management
Jul 20, 2019
I don't think fans will fit under there with the stock feet Dr. I definitely could be wrong though. I don't have a fan handy atm to test it but my finger wont haha.

You're right, I misunderstood the original question. At first, I thought he meant mounting fans in the bottom plenum, but I guess he meant under near the case itself. Will edit my other post

Reactions: wsgroves

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Will there be an update/revisions for sm560 before the end of the year as well?

No sir, SM560 was updated on July 4th for the 120mm AIO kit and support for GPUs up to 325mm long, as well as adding the HDD and SSD kits. Very happy with where the SM560 is at this point, really has no flaws I am aware of. It's currently ready to go on Newegg and Amazon as far as I am concerned.

Also need to add this general notice:

V2 of the SM580 is 100% cancelled

If the limited compatibility of 280mm does not work for you, and you cannot use a 240mm, please consider either a Cerberus or SV590.