Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
What would be the best fan configuration for the SM 580? I'm using bottom exhaust and top intake from the AIO.

Has someone run temps tests with different configurations?

Depends on whether you mind possibly warming the other components in your system by a few degrees more. Top intake AIO will be better for CPU, but it will heat up the other components a bit more, but maybe acceptably so (check SSD, GPU, chipset, VRM temps). The "best fan configuration" question always needs to be qualified by what components you are using (if they have adequate cooling on their own, a little more heat in system won't matter), and what you are prioritizing (CPU, GPU, or overall system temps). A moderate power CPU (e.g. 3600X) won't dump a lot of heat into the system with intake rad, but an OCed 9900K or 3900X might. People also vary on what's an "acceptable" temperature; for some, it's okay as long as the processor doesn't hit TJ max, but for others the goal is lowest temp possible.

I'm pure air (at least for my SM580 build) and like system fans to cool everything in a max-airflow-at-lowest-noise-level-possible kinda guy, so I almost always do front-to-back or bottom-to-top cooling; this is why I like the SM580: there aren't even many full-ATX cases that support 4x 140mm fans. I also worry a little that heat pools too much when you exhaust at the bottom and there isn't a lot of clearance on a table. Might not be an actual issue, but I just don't like it conceptually (weird, I know).

Last edited:
Reactions: cmill and Amenothes

Amenothes

Chassis Packer
Jun 16, 2019
Depends on whether you mind warming the other components in your system. Top intake AIO will be better for CPU, but it will heat up the other components a bit more, but maybe acceptably so (check system, GPU, VRM temps). The "best fan configuration" question always needs to be qualified by what components you are using, and what you are prioritizing (CPU, GPU, or overall system temps). A moderate power CPU (e.g. 3600X) won't dump a lot of heat into the system with intake rad, but an OCed 9900K or 3900X might.

I'm pure air (at least for my SM580 build) and like system fans to cool everything in a max-airflow-at-lowest-noise-level-possible kinda guy, so I almost always do front-to-back or bottom-to-top cooling; this is why I like the SM580: there aren't even many full-ATX cases that support 4x 140mm fans. I also worry a little that heat pools too much when you exhaust at the bottom and there isn't a lot of clearance on a table. Might not be an actual issue, but I just don't like it conceptually (weird, I know).
I'm running a 3700X cooled by an X62 + a RTX 2080 on an Aorus X570. I consider my temps are very good, lately played WoW on 3 monitors gave me 48-55°C on the CPU and 64-67°C on the GPU.

I'm very happy with these thermals but am still curious to know if it can be even better.

My previous case was a Streacom DA2 which gave me very good CPU temps (X62) but GPU wise, I reached 85°C with the same hardware...

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I'm running a 3700X cooled by an X62 + a RTX 2080 on an Aorus X570. I consider my temps are very good, lately played WoW on 3 monitors gave me 48-55°C on the CPU and 64-67°C on the GPU.

I'm very happy with these thermals but am still curious to know if it can be even better.

My previous case was a Streacom DA2 which gave me very good CPU temps (X62) but GPU wise, I reached 85°C with the same hardware...

Those are good temps. Changing/reversing your current fan configuration would likely increase CPU temp a smidge, but decrease VRM/chipset temps (I would check those if you haven't, but I'm assuming they are fine given you have adequate airflow) and possibly GPU temp. I would tweak fan curves and voltages of CPU and/or GPU first before changing the fan orientations, unless you are bored and want to do the testing (this isn't one of the extreme scenarios where it would make a huge difference, I don't think, so might not be worth the time and effort). Optimum Tech might be doing fan config testing in his review of the SM580, so might be worth waiting to see what his results are. Let the TechTubers do the heavy lifting. :p

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016

Those are great temps!

Amenothes

Chassis Packer
Jun 16, 2019
Those are great temps!
Yes! What is weird is the IDLE temps, coming from a 2700X where the Idling was around 28-34°C with temp spikes up to 45 ish. I now have it at 40 ish when doing nothing (still have Discord, Steam, CAM and 2-3 light processes).

I've red that these temps are normal though.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Yes! What is weird is the IDLE temps, coming from a 2700X where the Idling was around 28-34°C with temp spikes up to 45 ish. I now have it at 40 ish when doing nothing (still have Discord, Steam, CAM and 2-3 light processes).

I've red that these temps are normal though.

Yep, normal. It's a result of Ryzen 3000 being a little more voltage-thirsty than the past two generations.

Bruzur

Cable Smoosher
Jul 3, 2019
What would be the best fan configuration for the SM 580? I'm using bottom exhaust and top intake from the AIO.

Has someone run temps tests with different configurations?

I have that exact configuration in my 580, with a Strix 2080 Ti + 9900K inside.
Idle temperatures for the CPU are around 35C with a 23C ambient (average).
Two 140mm fans for the radiator, two 140mm on the bottom of the chassis (as exhaust). Both of my side panels are vented, but I also have the Demcifilter kit for my entire case.

jinghao

Cable Smoosher
Jul 26, 2019
I have that exact configuration in my 580, with a Strix 2080 Ti + 9900K inside.
Idle temperatures for the CPU are around 35C with a 23C ambient (average).
Two 140mm fans for the radiator, two 140mm on the bottom of the chassis (as exhaust). Both of my side panels are vented, but I also have the Demcifilter kit for my entire case.
Is your air filter inside or outside the chassis?

Star316

Cable Smoosher
Mar 23, 2019

For the fan configuration on the radiator, did you place them at the top of the radiator touching the grill of the case or at the bottom of the radiator inside the case?

Amenothes

Chassis Packer
Jun 16, 2019
For the fan configuration on the radiator, did you place them at the top of the radiator touching the grill of the case or at the bottom of the radiator inside the case?
They are set at the bottom of the radiator, pulling the air into the case

Bruzur

Cable Smoosher
Jul 3, 2019
Is your air filter inside or outside the chassis?
They are on the exterior of the case. Only the side panel parts would possibly fit on the INSIDE of the case, otherwise the top and bottom can’t be placed there due to my fans; so every filter piece is on the exterior.

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Happy to finally report back that this little 90 degree SATA adapter totally fixed my issue of fitting in a 3.5" HDD on the bottom of my SM580:

Its slim enough to pop onto the back of the HDD while still keeping enough room for the drive to sit flat on the 120mm bracket and worked fine with the Silverstone slim data SATA cable and my Pslate SATA cable coming out of the top, but probably any old SATA cables would fit coming out of the top. Curious to see how the 3.5" HDD will affect temps with both windowed panels too...

Might just add in another RGB strip and then I'll post some pictures!

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Happy to finally report back that this little 90 degree SATA adapter totally fixed my issue of fitting in a 3.5" HDD on the bottom of my SM580:

Its slim enough to pop onto the back of the HDD while still keeping enough room for the drive to sit flat on the 120mm bracket and worked fine with the Silverstone slim data SATA cable and my Pslate SATA cable coming out of the top, but probably any old SATA cables would fit coming out of the top. Curious to see how the 3.5" HDD will affect temps with both windowed panels too...

Might just add in another RGB strip and then I'll post some pictures!
Glad it worked out for you.

thoughtfix

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
I went ahead and ordered the monoblock for my Strix Z390-I motherboard. My poor VRMs had almost no air over them and the air they did have was pre-warmed by the lower radiator. Will post updates in a couple weeks when it arrives. Hopefully my 180 degree 24-pin power cable from @pslate will be here by then too so I can flip the power supply to pull in air from the center of the case and not the window.

OtackKulandinglar

Trash Compacter
May 24, 2019
So I have a dumb question. On the SM580, what are the two round holes that have plastic removable plugs in them on the rear of the case for? I had interference with one and my Gigabyte X570I and had to pop it out and for the life of me I can't think of the purpose of them.
?