Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KingSpades

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2018
Alright guys I need help, is the extension cable supposed to be tucked in between the mobo or out? Because I just installed the AIO and it's hitting the fan

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
The riser shouldnt be hitting anything? It goes like a arc from the back over top to the pcie slot. There is nothing for it to hit in the 560 but the bigger models, I could see it sticking up and hitting the AIO.

KingSpades

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2018
The riser shouldnt be hitting anything? It goes like a arc from the back over top to the pcie slot. There is nothing for it to hit in the 560 but the bigger models, I could see it sticking up and hitting the AIO.

I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I just need someone with a 580 to help out. Although, I don't see how the riser cable can be squished between the mobo since that'll surely affect length and it's already hard enough to mount

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, I just need someone with a 580 to help out. Although, I don't see how the riser cable can be squished between the mobo since that'll surely affect length and it's already hard enough to mount
The riser cable in my SM580 seems to pop up a fair amount too. Its not touching the fans on my AIO but its really close. When I get a chance to clean up my cable management I'll probably try to see if I can squish it down at all but otherwise I was just routing some wires underneath it.

KingSpades

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2018
The riser cable in my SM580 seems to pop up a fair amount too. Its not touching the fans on my AIO but its really close. When I get a chance to clean up my cable management I'll probably try to see if I can squish it down at all but otherwise I was just routing some wires underneath it.
Did you route the riser cable in any way?

Borafuzzle

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2019
You may be able to use the power cable to help push it over otherwise you'll just have to find a way to squish it down or pull it more towards the GPU

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Did you route the riser cable in any way?
I just kind of pressed it down and pulled it taut as much as I could without feeling like I was going to damage it. It does help a little that I had my top AIO fans set to pull air in, so its not just the fan blades totally exposed. I guess you try to get some fan grills too if the riser doesn't squish down at all.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Got my SM580 pretty much all built and breathed a sigh of relief when it posted. Cable management is still a mess since I just wanted to get it done and see if it was operational by the end. So I'll have to wrestle with cable management in the coming days.

Couple takeaways for me being this was my first SFF build, my other experience being building in my Cooler Master Storm Scout case over the years:

Planning is key! Granted, a huge part of my problem with building in the SM580 was my total inability to get the 2 interior screws on the PSU bracket out, but even beyond that, man, you kind of need to plan out what is going to go where, because once you start screwing some stuff in , other stuff isn't going to fit.

Those 2 PSU bracket screws... I still don't know what the deal was/is there. I tried so many different Phillips head screwdrivers, went out and bought a brand new one and no matter what I did, those 2 screws wouldn't move at all and just started to strip past a certain point. Thankfully, those were the only screws that gave me too much of an issue. But the whole build would have been so much easier with the PSU bracket out of the way.

The radiator bracket! I was just using my 240mm Corsair H100 AIO and was able to figure out how to remove the bracket ok and get everything mounted. Where I ran into a weird issue was lining up the side screw holes for screwing the bracket back in and getting that simultaneously lined up with the circular mesh on the top for the holes where you screw down the handle. Had to disassemble that a couple times to get everything lined up just right.

And an existing issue- I'm still at a loss for how the 3.5 inch HDD is supposed to fit on the bottom if I'm also using a 140mm fan down there too. I've got the 140mm fan under the motherboard and had been planning on using the 3.5 inch drive on the 120mm bracket next to it. The HDD fits fine on the bracket and slides in snug next to the 140mm fan but there is next to no room for the SATA cables to come out the back of the hard drive- certainly not if you're having the SATA cable end of the drive right next to the 140mm fan. If I was using a 120mm fan down next to it, it would probably be fine. But I'll have to see if any slim SATA cables might work- there is a really small amount of space between the front of the case and the drive if you have the hard drive oriented with the SATA cable end closest to the front, but unless I can get some real flexible SATA power cables, I don't know how it'll really fit in there. Any advice?

Very impressed you got so far without any user manual or help, great work there and apologies on the issues.

For the 3.5" HDD - did you happen to find an angle SATA cable or anything that can make it work? Some PSUs and SATA cables just take space for granted, and might not be the best choice. Email us if you are still having trouble with this one.

Double checking the SM560 (bifurcation version) doesn't support 140mm fans in the bottom? is this because they don't fit or is it just the mounting holes?

Purely a mounting hole issue. 140mm fans will physically fit

@KSliger Any chance of a new revision where 140s would fit? Your setup at quake con in the sm550 looked so good I'm considering it for a bifurcation setup but I'd need the sm560.

Also can I email you about that case we discussed at quake con?

You guys are magicians, I got a 140mm fan in but had to drill the case spine out to get it out - only reason I didn't support 140mm on release. When I get caught up here I'll try a few more 140mm fans and see how they fit in. I am down to change it to support 140mm fans though.

Go ahead and email or PM me anytime!

As a owner and lover of both the 550/60. I don't recommend the passive solution. I wouldnt go any higher than a 2600 cpu if you must do it.
Yes, you want the fins vertical in the passive mode.
I was able to use the intel mounts for the BS3 to orient it correctly but eventually, it stopped making good contact and my cpu was hitting in the 90's.

Did you only ever use the BS3? The Dark Rock cooler I have been running that 9600K on for months without problem, never getting much above 80C and only hitting that when the fans don't throttle up as I need them too.

I have a 3700x and don't plan on overclocking much if at all. If it doesn't work, I'll get a different fan, I have a vented side panel just in case. Finishing the build tonight, then installing Windows tomorrow, hoping I can get some decent temps.

Did that alternative side IO panel ever get released? I'd love to be able to use the USB-C port, even if it's at reduced speeds.

There should be both options on the checkout form, if you email us support@sliger.com we can help match up your motherboard to the correct panel connector choice.

@KSliger ?. There are approximate dates for the publication of user manual for sm580?

Give it about a week or two - way behind

Just for your guys' information, there is absolutely no need to pop off the top panel to install an aio radiator. You simply need to take out the radiator bracket. For thick radiators for a custom loop, maybe you'd need to take off the top panel

This is how I designed it to be done, no need to take the top off but made it removable anyhow.

These risers are very resistant to bends, I can fold one over on itself multiple times with no resulting problems. I would recommend taking out GPU, and then folding / wrapping the ribbon out of the way.

Sorry for lack of responses everyone, we were down a bunch of people for various reasons - back up and running now.

KingSpades

Average Stuffer
Apr 23, 2018
Very impressed you got so far without any user manual or help, great work there and apologies on the issues.

For the 3.5" HDD - did you happen to find an angle SATA cable or anything that can make it work? Some PSUs and SATA cables just take space for granted, and might not be the best choice. Email us if you are still having trouble with this one.

You guys are magicians, I got a 140mm fan in but had to drill the case spine out to get it out - only reason I didn't support 140mm on release. When I get caught up here I'll try a few more 140mm fans and see how they fit in. I am down to change it to support 140mm fans though.

Go ahead and email or PM me anytime!

Did you only ever use the BS3? The Dark Rock cooler I have been running that 9600K on for months without problem, never getting much above 80C and only hitting that when the fans don't throttle up as I need them too.

There should be both options on the checkout form, if you email us support@sliger.com we can help match up your motherboard to the correct panel connector choice.

Give it about a week or two - way behind

This is how I designed it to be done, no need to take the top off but made it removable anyhow.

These risers are very resistant to bends, I can fold one over on itself multiple times with no resulting problems. I would recommend taking out GPU, and then folding / wrapping the ribbon out of the way.

Sorry for lack of responses everyone, we were down a bunch of people for various reasons - back up and running now.
Can you elaborate on the folding? Because even with it mounted, it's pretty tight, so that arc is sort of natural occurring

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019

I've ordered a couple low profile SATA cables and some other cable management stuff that I'll probably be playing with in the 580 this weekend. I feel like the 3.5" drive would fit easily if the other fan I was using under the motherboard was a 120mm fan since that would likely free up plenty of space for any old SATA cable coming out of the HDD. Hopefully the low profile ones I ordered will fit the bill though.

crag

Chassis Packer
Apr 19, 2019
So, light stress testing last night was seeing the CPU hit the mid 80s while gaming. Slightly higher than I'd like, but I guess that's the tradeoff for mostly silent usage while not-gaming and the small form factor.

Zero mating issue with the BS3 using the Intel mounting bracket with my Gigabyte x570 motherboard.

Reactions: wsgroves

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Have you considered making the spine screwed in rather than riveted? That would solve some issues with tube routing with AIOs and make it easier to put radiators down there.