Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I don't believe that msi board has better vrm's than the current and upcoming x570 itx boards.
I haven't seen any of them reach higher than 52c on the Gigabyte x570 itx.
As far as the chipset fan, I don't hear it and it has reached up to 8k rpm. The bios now supports tuning the chipset fan as well now.
I'm sorry I meant to say the best VRM of any pre-X570 ITX board. I'll edit my post to correct that.

volive

Cable Smoosher
Jan 4, 2019
I have a couple of questions
A- what's the approximate length for custom cables from the PSU to the motherboard, GPU & CPU?
B- can we do a custom water cooling loop in the 580 & what pump/reservoir combo will fit?

Borafuzzle

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2019
A- what's the approximate length for custom cables from the PSU to the motherboard, GPU & CPU?
B- can we do a custom water cooling loop in the 580 & what pump/reservoir combo will fit?
For A, it really depends on the motherboard and PSU combo you're going with but roughly 250mm for CPU, 260mm for PCIE, and if you're not doing the Pslate graded 24 pin, then you'll go about 170mm on the mobo cables. This would be for sleeved cables.

Last edited:

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018

Ksliger has shown 3D renders of the SM580 with custom liquid cooling. There is space above the GPU for a res/pump combo. As for which one, I couldn't say.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Does anyone here have experience with those "expandable" AIO loops? How good are the pumps on those? My AIO is technically expandable since it uses standard fittings and a copper radiator and copper cold plate. I may consider adding an additional radiator and a water block on my GPU in the future but I'm worried about how much head pressure those AIO pumps can produce. Specifically mine is the BeQuiet! Silent Loop 280.

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Does anyone here have experience with those "expandable" AIO loops? How good are the pumps on those? My AIO is technically expandable since it uses standard fittings and a copper radiator and copper cold plate. I may consider adding an additional radiator and a water block on my GPU in the future but I'm worried about how much head pressure those AIO pumps can produce. Specifically mine is the BeQuiet! Silent Loop 280.

AIO pumps are significantly less powerful than DDC pumps, and with 2 rads, and 2 blocks, I'd have to imagine that you're into the stagnation pressure regime. I haven't tried expanding that specific loop, but helped a buddy add a 2nd radiator to an acetek gen 4 pump block (without a GPU block) and felt that even that was cutting the pressure requirement pretty close as the flow indicator we installed dropped by about 40% in a 2-rad configuration.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Anything that's based on a small integrated pump probably won't do. I'm not sure if yours is an asetek or not, but similar aios like the fractal design Kelvin do not have enough pressure or flow to run a loop with much beyond what they start with.
In my research it looks very difficult to use an integrated pump in this case. The only exception that I have found might be the alphacool eisbaer LT, which because of asetek patents seems to not be available in the US. Even then, I would probably only do one radiator and a GPU block with it. If you wanted to do something in the 580, you could combine the Eisbaer LT 120 with the Eiswolf 240 for your GPU. The radiator in the LT120 is a 25mm thick radiator, and you get two fans on it so just remove one. That should fit in the bottom with the adapter. Then you put the 240 from the Eiswolf in the top, and link them together.

Otherwise, I think it's EKWB Phoenix 240 or fully custom loops only.

Edit: forgot to mention, as had been previously covered in this thread, the apogee drive II is too tall for the case. In the Louqe Ghost S1 it'sjust barely tall enough to fit, and this has even less cooler clearance than that case. Even if you remove the heatsink from the top, the fittings would interfere with the case closing.

Last edited:

Navy8or

Caliper Novice
May 9, 2019
AIO pumps are significantly less powerful than DDC pumps, and with 2 rads, and 2 blocks, I'd have to imagine that you're into the stagnation pressure regime. I haven't tried expanding that specific loop, but helped a buddy add a 2nd radiator to an acetek gen 4 pump block (without a GPU block) and felt that even that was cutting the pressure requirement pretty close as the flow indicator we installed dropped by about 40% in a 2-rad configuration.

For fully custom loops, has anyone been looking at what pumps could fit and where? I've got my 570 ordered. Once it gets here I'm going to take some more specific measurements to see where I could get a pump in. Just wondering what others were thinking.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
PSA: Optimum Tech has found the 3900X to be an amazing undervolter. 1.0 Volt Vcore with no loss in performance over stock.

Edit: OT removed the video and posted an explanation of how it was flawed. As AllHopeForHumanity points out, other benchmarks beside blender were showing a performance hit. OT says he is going to post a new video with more results and try to find the ACTUAL voltage at which performance loss occurs.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
For fully custom loops, has anyone been looking at what pumps could fit and where? I've got my 570 ordered. Once it gets here I'm going to take some more specific measurements to see where I could get a pump in. Just wondering what others were thinking.

Haven't looked into it for the sm570, but for the SV540/590 I was considering a swfitech apogee II pump/block combo. I think they are ~65mm tall though, so you probably won't be able to squeeze that into a 570. You'll probably have to go either the SFF GPU route or use a 120mm rad and reserve the rest of the upper space in order to fit a pump/res unit in.

PSA: Optimum Tech has found the 3900X to be an amazing undervolter. 1.0 Volt Vcore with no loss in performance over stock.

I'd take that with a grain of salt for the moment. There is quite a large discussion going around r/amd and r/hardware about how undervolting affects performance significantly (outside of blender which is all OT tested). Different users were reporting double digit FPS degradation in various game benchmarks (Witcher 3 for example).

I think it might stem from the fact that OT tested with a locked stock power target and was underfeeding the cores their necessary current which has a large impact on thermals. Blender isn't particularly compute heavy, compared to something that utilizes AVX for example, and so while he didn't notice a different in renders, you'd probably want to unlock the power target and test power/performance/thermals vs vcore/clocks in a few different benchmarks before such sweeping claims.

Reactions: Bioforce

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Haven't looked into it for the sm570, but for the SV540/590 I was considering a swfitech apogee II pump/block combo. I think they are ~65mm tall though, so you probably won't be able to squeeze that into a 570. You'll probably have to go either the SFF GPU route or use a 120mm rad and reserve the rest of the upper space in order to fit a pump/res unit in.

I'd take that with a grain of salt for the moment. There is quite a large discussion going around r/amd and r/hardware about how undervolting affects performance significantly (outside of blender which is all OT tested). Different users were reporting double digit FPS degradation in various game benchmarks (Witcher 3 for example).

I think it might stem from the fact that OT tested with a locked stock power target and was underfeeding the cores their necessary current which has a large impact on thermals. Blender isn't particularly compute heavy, compared to something that utilizes AVX for example, and so while he didn't notice a different in renders, you'd probably want to unlock the power target and test power/performance/thermals vs vcore/clocks in a few different benchmarks before such sweeping claims.

Very good points. Listening to the video at work. Didn't pay much attention to his testing methodology, just his conclusions which were very positive.

Planck

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
I have a SM580 on order. Given the 55mm height limit for the cpu area, I'm going to use an Apogee Drive II (without the pump) with a Alphacool DDC310 pump with low height heatsink. That should shave 15mm ish off a standard Drive II and allow it to fit. Coupling that with an Alphacool XT30 or XT45 (most likely XT30 X-Flow 280mm Rad and no Res. I choose the X-Flow to make a Res-less loop easier to fill. Depending on VRM temps, clearance, and testing with window vs vent panels ( I ordered both), I may put a slim 120mmx12mm Scythe fan or Some 40mm fans to have more direct cooling on VRMs/ram. Depending on temps I may also put a second 120mm rad on the bottom. I'm using a 1700x now, but my hope is to eventually put in an OC 3950x when available. I plan to only watercool the CPU due to personal requirements, and will likely use vent panels with fans exhausting out top and bottom. I realize a 120mm and a 280mm is probably overkill for just a CPU, but I loathe noise pollution and I hoping to run the fans at a dead silent low RPM.I'm excited. This will be my first attempt at a custom loop.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bioforce

Planck

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
BTW for anyone with previous experience with Sliger, how are they with shipping times and package tracking communication? Do they send email notification with tracking as soon as it is shipped? I'm new to SFF. I placed an order with SFFLAB and Sliger a week ago, and both have been radio silent except for acknowledging they are taking my money. I'm fine with waiting, I realize small batch stuff takes longer, and the SM580 was just launched. I just hate not knowing how long I'm waiting :)

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I have a SM580 on order. Given the 55mm height limit for the cpu area, I'm going to use an Apogee Drive II (without the pump) with a Alphacool DDC310 pump with low height heatsink. That should shave 15mm ish off a standard Drive II and allow it to fit. Coupling that with an Alphacool XT30 or XT45 (most likely XT30 X-Flow 280mm Rad and no Res. I choose the X-Flow to make a Res-less loop easier to fill. Depending on VRM temps, clearance, and testing with window vs vent panels ( I ordered both), I may put a slim 120mmx12mm Scythe fan or Some 40mm fans to have more direct cooling on VRMs/ram. Depending on temps I may also put a second 120mm rad on the bottom. I'm using a 1700x now, but my hope is to eventually put in an OC 3950x when available. I plan to only watercool the CPU due to personal requirements, and will likely use vent panels with fans exhausting out top and bottom. I realize a 120mm and a 280mm is probably overkill for just a CPU, but I loathe noise pollution and I hoping to run the fans at a dead silent low RPM.I'm excited. This will be my first attempt at a custom loop.
Major issues here, I've done research on these and some of this was posted earlier in the thread, but the XFlow 280 from Alphacool is too long to fit in the SM580. Note that its length is 334mm which is longer than the actual case. Second, the Apogee Drive pump height itself isn't the issue, it's the fittings. Even in the Ghost (see JayzTwoCents' video on this), you need to rotate the fittings in such a way that they fit in the case. The Sliger SM cases all have less CPU cooler clearance than the Ghost, therefore its unlikely it will fit, even replacing the pump, unless you can completely change the integrated fittings.

If you go with the XFlow 240mm radiator, it should fit no problem. Note that if you want to fill your radiator from the top, the new NexXxoS v.2 radiators from Alphacool have 6 fittings on the ends of the U, so you could fill from the top, assuming the hole isn't blocked by the case itself. At that point the XFlow becomes redundant (although it should have less restriction on flow rate).

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
BTW for anyone with previous experience with Sliger, how are they with shipping times and package tracking communication? Do they send email notification with tracking as soon as it is shipped? I'm new to SFF. I placed an order with SFFLAB and Sliger a week ago, and both have been radio silent except for acknowledging they are taking my money. I'm fine with waiting, I realize small batch stuff takes longer, and the SM580 was just launched. I just hate not knowing how long I'm waiting :)
A few pages back he said they would try to get the cases out today or tomorrow; any delay is due to him and another employee being sick unfortunately.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
You will be emailed a tracking number I believe once it ships. They are usually pretty good. My couple orders has all shipped within a week or so of ordering.
Does take them a little bit but they are not a big shipper like amazon haha.
KSliger has been very sick for like a week now and if he says he is sick, he is very sick.
I know they will ship it as soon as they are possible but I feel you, I get antsy with shipping as well.

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Quick question on the 570/580- so I ordered a 580 with both windowed panels, plus I'll be putting a 3.5 inch drive on one of the bottom fan slots, so I'm trying to figure how to maximize whatever airflow I'll have.

For orienting the PSU in the case, which directions should the PSU be facing to help temps best? With the PSU fan pointing toward the window or towards the GPU on the other side? Would that make much of a difference in temps one way or the other if its window panels on both sides?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
We're having some real problems with how the orders imported, causing delay. Every order has to be hand checked, and the number of emails we have with questions is insane - making sure we do not miss any requests / changes is time consuming. On top of that we sold about 3x as many cases as we expected too, plus coupon for 550s and 560s sold more of those in a week than we had sold in the last two months.

Good problem, but trying to minimize effects on people that ordered early. I'll get some time to answer tech / help questions on here and reddit tomorrow. (This thread added 5 pages since I last checked? Jesus.)

Sincere apologies on the delays, will keep you updated as best I can while we throw everyone at trying to get these out.

We should have everything shipped by Friday, you will receive tracking automatically.

Planck

Trash Compacter
Jul 15, 2019
Major issues here, I've done research on these and some of this was posted earlier in the thread, but the XFlow 280 from Alphacool is too long to fit in the SM580. Note that its length is 334mm which is longer than the actual case. Second, the Apogee Drive pump height itself isn't the issue, it's the fittings. Even in the Ghost (see JayzTwoCents' video on this), you need to rotate the fittings in such a way that they fit in the case. The Sliger SM cases all have less CPU cooler clearance than the Ghost, therefore its unlikely it will fit, even replacing the pump, unless you can completely change the integrated fittings.

If you go with the XFlow 240mm radiator, it should fit no problem. Note that if you want to fill your radiator from the top, the new NexXxoS v.2 radiators from Alphacool have 6 fittings on the ends of the U, so you could fill from the top, assuming the hole isn't blocked by the case itself. At that point the XFlow becomes redundant (although it should have less restriction on flow rate).
Not sure how I screwed up those measurements on the x-flow, I guess I'll have to find another 280mm rad. I blame the imperial stout. I also didn't realize the Drive II fittings didn't rotate freely, but had screwed fixed positions. Thanks for the heads up. Glad I hadn't ordered those yet. what about the Eisbaer LT?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Not sure how I screwed up those measurements on the x-flow, I guess I'll have to find another 280mm rad. I blame the imperial stout. I also didn't realize the Drive II fittings didn't rotate freely, but had screwed fixed positions. Thanks for the heads up. Glad I hadn't ordered those yet. what about the Eisbaer LT?

You can only rotate 30 degrees. I have an Apogee Drive II in my Ghost and even with Koolance low profile 90 degree adapters the height is still 65mm, just fits in the Ghost but won't work here.

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity