Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
With the SM560, do you guys know if it's possible to run a 120mm AIO (via the adapter) and the 92mm AIO (via the adapter) at the same time? I wonder if anyone has tried and if tubing length looks ok. I'm only thinking of cooling a 65TDP CPU and an ITX GPU.

Definitely no on this, you might be able to do both at same time with some modding though. Will need to squeeze the 92mm as far over to CPU side as you can, no adapter bracket.

wkarma

Caliper Novice
Jul 3, 2019
Yeah, I'd be curious to hear how the VRM fan is on that board. I know there were some early reports on Reddit of it just going at 100% all the time but that Gigabyte was working on a fix for it.

Mine was damn near silent, or at least I didn't notice it. Office isn't particularly quiet though. HWinfo reported it running at 4k. Saw this today though:

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Hmm. I was hoping to run a 3900X in the SM580 with a 280mm AIO and windowed panels. Think running the radiator as intake would be enough to keep the 3900X under control in an X570 board?

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Hmm. I was hoping to run a 3900X in the SM580 with a 280mm AIO and windowed panels. Think running the radiator as intake would be enough to keep the 3900X under control in an X570 board?
With windowed panels I'd imagine all that warm/hot air from your 280 aio would just go right on top of the motherboard/gpu/etc ... what are your plans as far as cooling your GPU keeping in mind that you have windowed panels? Bottom fans as exhaust?

I'd play with it, but with windowed panels you might want to have your bottom fans as intakes and top rad as exhaust, given that heat rises, blah blah blah. If you had vented panels you could run top and bottom as exhaust and have air pulled thru the vents. Optimum Tech has some videos on that where temps in this scenario are improved by 5+ C

iksretep

Trash Compacter
Oct 21, 2016
Besides esthetics of having custom length PSU cables making things look tidy, did anyone note temp differences with stock vs. custom cables? Are the temp differences marginal or?

Alexnader

Trash Compacter
Jun 27, 2019
Besides esthetics of having custom length PSU cables making things look tidy, did anyone note temp differences with stock vs. custom cables? Are the temp differences marginal or?
I always think back to that video where the stuffed an iron and a bunch of T-shirts into a case and showed "air-flow" made little to no difference.

• Haha
Reactions: Bioforce

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
With windowed panels I'd imagine all that warm/hot air from your 280 aio would just go right on top of the motherboard/gpu/etc ... what are your plans as far as cooling your GPU keeping in mind that you have windowed panels? Bottom fans as exhaust?

I'd play with it, but with windowed panels you might want to have your bottom fans as intakes and top rad as exhaust, given that heat rises, blah blah blah. If you had vented panels you could run top and bottom as exhaust and have air pulled thru the vents. Optimum Tech has some videos on that where temps in this scenario are improved by 5+ C

Yes, bottom fans will be exhaust. As far as "Heat rises" goes, convection has almost no impact on the movement of air in a pressurized case, so having the air flow top to bottom should have no impact on the rate of flow. The biggest concern is going to be the fact that I'll be dumping the CPU's heat into the case rather than out of it. In Ksliger's testing on the SM550/560 he found that GPU's were more or less agnostic to the type of side panel used in a positive pressure setup. Vents only really made a difference when doing negative pressure. So the real question is going to be, just how badly would the 3900X need fresh cold air compared to my 2080 Ti? Guess I'll have to do some testing and hope for the best lol.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Guess what. Playing Plague Tale game, the 3700x hit 85c on the Cryorig C7 G with Noc fan on the Strix x470 itx.Gonna have to re-think some things .

aslidop

Chassis Packer
Jun 1, 2019
FWIW I've got a 3900X on a ROG Strix x470-i with 2x16GB 3200CL16 LPX, GTX 1080, and an MP600 NVME and haven't had any real problems yet. Reusing the board until the x570-i is out, but I had already upgraded the BIOS to the latest before building. Running at maximized "defaults" (XMP, PBO, -200mV CPU undervolt) and everything has been going just fine - I even hit 4.6GHz on a few cores! I think there's still a lot of luck of the draw going on with the mobo/CPU/RAM combos.

Waiting for my SM580 to get here to build properly!

Jibbajabbawockers

Average Stuffer
May 2, 2019
Yes, bottom fans will be exhaust. As far as "Heat rises" goes, convection has almost no impact on the movement of air in a pressurized case, so having the air flow top to bottom should have no impact on the rate of flow. The biggest concern is going to be the fact that I'll be dumping the CPU's heat into the case rather than out of it. In Ksliger's testing on the SM550/560 he found that GPU's were more or less agnostic to the type of side panel used in a positive pressure setup. Vents only really made a difference when doing negative pressure. So the real question is going to be, just how badly would the 3900X need fresh cold air compared to my 2080 Ti? Guess I'll have to do some testing and hope for the best lol.

Some pages back in this thread I asked KSliger what the best fan setup for a windowed SM580 (plus a 3.5inch HDD on one of the bottom fan slots) and he was thinking it may be best to run the fans on the top AIO drawing cool air in from outside and the bottom 140mm fan as exhaust- basically getting cool outside air in at the top and out the bottom.

I'm going to have a 3700X and a 2080Ti in the 580, so I guess we'll so how that goes. I'm thinking it may be a bit toasty and maybe the vented panels may be in my future but we'll see I guess.

blakedabarbarian

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2019
Guess what. Playing Plague Tale game, the 3700x hit 85c on the Cryorig C7 G with Noc fan on the Strix x470 itx.Gonna have to re-think some things .
What in the world?? That's absolutely insane. What's your fan curve look like? I'm thinking I'm going to have to hold off on using my new PC until things get ironed out. This is a reeeal bummer.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
For the most part, the fan does not drop below 1600 rpm. It's over 2k a lot of the time. I'm gonna end up putting my 360 rad on it and keep the side of the case off.
I have a external mount for the rad. Will put it behind the desk lol.
Apparently with the chiplets being twords the outside of the packaging, you have to make sure you apply the thermal paste right and not just a pea in the middle. The outsides need to be covered as well.

blakedabarbarian

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2019
For the most part, the fan does not drop below 1600 rpm. It's over 2k a lot of the time. I'm gonna end up putting my 360 rad on it and keep the side of the case off.
I have a external mount for the rad. Will put it behind the desk lol.
Apparently with the chiplets being twords the outside of the packaging, you have to make sure you apply the thermal paste right and not just a pea in the middle. The outsides need to be covered as well.
Idk, that's awfully concerning, has me wondering if I should return the CPU and board and look into another intel chip. I'm coming from skylake 6700k, and I haven't really researched new chips that much. I'm not that worried about the premium if I can get some better thermals, I just wouldn't know where to start.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018

I didn't see if you mentioned it already or not, but are you running entirely at stock settings? I've seen some reviews in which stock voltages for the new chips were FAR in excess of anything they needed to be at. It may be worth looking at the overclocking video from JayzTwoCents. His CPU and memory were nearly at 1.5V stock and the infinity fabric was at 1.32V when it really only needs to be at like 1.1V for stock speeds. It was resulting in his CPU being idle at over 40C and cooking to death under load.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Conversely, my 3900X with an x62 (280mm AIO) using a decent amount of NH-T1 and running Prime95 doesn't get above 60C...
Unfortunately, a 280 AIO is probably about 4 times as effective as my little cooler haha.
I have gotten it down to 73 in that game by having it jack the case fans exhaust as well. Sadly, there goes the quiet.
I know it is the stock voltage on these shitty release bios' causing the issues. My max so far was 1.5v but with how Ryzen works, that
does not really tell the story as it's constantly in flux.
@blakedabarbarian I wouldnt worry about it too much. I am sure it'll get fixed up, just no ETA.
@aslidop that's a pretty crazy low temp for a prime run. I could not even keep the 2600 under that in that program.
@Bioforce I will have a look at the video thanks. I was gonna play with voltage at some point but I guess it's gonna be sooner rather than later.

My wife, because she is spontaneous and cool, saw the gigabyte x570 itx sitting on my screen at different intervals and decided to buy it. I was looking it over and it does only have 2 fan headers usable that I can see. It does have 3 but the stupid chipset fan uses one of them. I'll test it at some point.

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
Upon request I made an inverted version for anyone interested:

I was going to join later after my build was complete, but just found this thread when searching for 580 cooler compatibility. I had the same idea (great minds think alike :p); been meaning to do a Noctua-themed build for about 2 years now, but never got around to it. The milk/white chocolate (or coffee and cream... I'm a big coffee and chocolate connoisseur so I love either description, though Noctua's reason for the colors is the Noctua owl) combination of Noctua fans doesn't really work well with anything other than the same colors, so it seems like a natural solution to do a custom case color... so my order for SM580 with "chocolate bar" brown is in the works. I may paint some of the accents and possibly GPU shroud and other internals off-white/cream, but I have to see how the case turns out first to appropriately match everything.

In other times where aesthetics mattered but I still wanted to use Noctuas (although be quiet! is great, too, for low-noise applications at least) I've used the blacked out chromax or grey redux Noctua fans (they have a few of these now). Now seemed like a good time to do the chocolate build, though, especially with Ryzen 3000 launch, and since I'm also doing a custom keyboard (2nd Gen SMK "Monterey" switches in a Tofu case) with the same color scheme.

Really nice of Sliger to offer the painting and unpainted case options. :) Sanding down a case is a pain, and there are limited unpainted options out there otherwise. Now if I could just find matching monitor and mouse options... :D

Last edited:
Reactions: Sahaj and Brude27

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I was looking it over and it does only have 2 fan headers usable that I can see. It does have 3 but the stupid chipset fan uses one of them. I'll test it at some point.

Given that Buildzoid has stated the Gigabyte board appears to be the clear winner between the 3 announced ITX boards, I think I'm gonna roll with it despite the lack of fan headers. My AIO pump only runs at one speed anyway so I think I'll just connect it straight to the PSU with a SATA power to 4-pin fan adapter.

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Wouldnt be my first choice with only 2 but beggers cant be choosers right haha. There are beta bios' available that let you choose the heatsink fan speed.
I think they will be live on the product page tomorrow. I'm gonna test some volts now and see if I can get the temps back down.
When I did that in the past with PBO enabled though, I found it didnt like the possible limited lower voltage when it tried to spike to higher speeds. Maybe Ryzen 3 is different.