Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

TheLobsterHatMan

Cable Smoosher
May 20, 2019
So exhausting out the bottom is the thing now?

Yup! I've always been a positive pressure guy in my other larger builds. However, the SM560 with vented panels greatly benefits from negative pressure. The air flow in negative pressure seems to supplement the air flow from the cooler and GPU, where positive pressure works against it.

Reactions: wsgroves

wsgroves

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 20, 2019
Interesting. These are my first sff cases. I have always had the monsters. I have window panels on both sides atm on the 560 with gpu and cpu fans attached. I have a vented cpu panel on order that just shipped.

Last edited:

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Hey guys. So per the advice of people on here, folks on reddit, and now Optimum Tech, I've flipped my bottom fans from intake to exhaust.... WOW! What a difference. The black ridge now performs on par with my 120mm AIO under load. Literally at 10C difference.

The results are fairly shocking. I would have never expected what a difference it makes. In OptimumTech's video his GPU ran 7 degrees Celsius cooler just from flipping the bottom fans to exhaust. I think this may actually change my plans. I was originally going to do windowed panels on both sides on a 580 with bottom intake and top exhaust out of a 280mm AIO. Now I'm thinking I'm gonna need to do vented panels with all fans as exhaust. Those results are too big to ignore.

Reactions: rfarmer

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
The results are fairly shocking. I would have never expected what a difference it makes. In OptimumTech's video his GPU ran 7 degrees Celsius cooler just from flipping the bottom fans to exhaust. I think this may actually change my plans. I was originally going to do windowed panels on both sides on a 580 with bottom intake and top exhaust out of a 280mm AIO. Now I'm thinking I'm gonna need to do vented panels with all fans as exhaust. Those results are too big to ignore.

I agree, I was surprised by the results too. What he says makes sense though, with the bottom fans set as exhaust actually drawing air in through the side panels thus aiding the GPU cooling.

TheLobsterHatMan

Cable Smoosher
May 20, 2019
I agree, I was surprised by the results too. What he says makes sense though, with the bottom fans set as exhaust actually drawing air in through the side panels thus aiding the GPU cooling.

GPU and CPU cooling were both impacted big time. GPU went from 68C in game to ~58-60C (62C peak). CPU went from averaging in the mid 70's and peaks in the mid 80's-low 90's to averaging in the mid-high 60's and peaking in the mid 70's. I think that having the bottom fans as intake was actually hindering the CPU and GPU coolers ability to take air in since it was basically pushing in the opposite direction. Bottom fans as exhaust is basically pulling in more air in the same direction that the CPU and GPU fans are drawing air.

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
GPU and CPU cooling were both impacted big time. GPU went from 68C in game to ~58-60C (62C peak). CPU went from averaging in the mid 70's and peaks in the mid 80's-low 90's to averaging in the mid-high 60's and peaking in the mid 70's. I think that having the bottom fans as intake was actually hindering the CPU and GPU coolers ability to take air in since it was basically pushing in the opposite direction. Bottom fans as exhaust is basically pulling in more air in the same direction that the CPU and GPU fans are drawing air.

I'm curious to know how it will affect my CPU since I'll be using an AIO. The bottom exhaust will help the GPU, but would be fighting the AIO. Hopefully it won't be too detrimental.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@KSliger

Any plans for the dual 240 AIO (top & bottom) that you were kicking about awhile back...?

I see more GPUs with hybrid cooling, and there are a handful that have a 240 AIO attached now...!

Sandwich design, vented sides, GPU 240 AIO exhausting up top, CPU 240 AIO exhausting below (replace all fans with Noctua 12x25s)...?

JaPeMo

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2019
@KSliger

Any plans for the dual 240 AIO (top & bottom) that you were kicking about awhile back...?

I see more GPUs with hybrid cooling, and there are a handful that have a 240 AIO attached now...!

Sandwich design, vented sides, GPU 240 AIO exhausting up top, CPU 240 AIO exhausting below (replace all fans with Noctua 12x25s)...?
SLIGER said some posts before with 2 spaces for aio have same height than Cerberus...

Reactions: renecop545

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I see more GPUs with hybrid cooling, and there are a handful that have a 240 AIO attached now
The SM580 should have space for a 120mm slim fan+rad in the bottom front where people are putting the Asetek 645LT in the 550/560 today.