Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

veol

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 4, 2019

Got our cables in from PSlate Customs - looks great!

Oh wow, that looks really nice. Does anyone know what cooler that in the picture? It looks like a Noctua L12s, but I don't think it has copper heat pipes like the one in the picture.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I'm pretty sure it's a BeQuiet shadowrock LP.

Correct, with the fans blowing from bottom to top, and no vents on the side it opens up a lot of bigger coolers than the A4 or Ghost allow.

Also had this album I posted over at /r/sffpc to show a few more pictures

My motherboard was DOA, so I can't test anything this weekend without taking apart a PC I'm using. =/

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
Correct, with the fans blowing from bottom to top, and no vents on the side it opens up a lot of bigger coolers than the A4 or Ghost allow.

Also had this album I posted over at /r/sffpc to show a few more pictures

My motherboard was DOA, so I can't test anything this weekend without taking apart a PC I'm using. =/
The end of the month can’t come soon enough for the 560.

Reactions: KSliger

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Wow, that's gorgeous! Nicely done! Are the SSD/HDD specs from the first page still accurate?

Been so long since I updated first page, will get around to fixing it soon!

Currently it is just 2x 2.5" SSD.

The HDD support will come later from optional brackets when the handle kit comes out. Want to get the 3 or 4 versions of this done and released, then do handle kits / SSD kits / HDD kits / bifurcation riser. HDD will be able to mount with short GPU, and/or replace one of the fans.

HDD support had to be neutered to make sure the cooling worked with window panels.

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
All good! The more time goes on, the more I realize I just need to move my HDDs to a QNAP NAS and let SFF be SFF. :) 2xSSDs is perfect! Don't worry about brackets on my account, unless it's the carry handle!

Do you think there's room to fit 1 SSD and a Corsair or NZXT RGB controller? Would love to see that in your next pics!

Reactions: SashaLag

tayumpee

Case Bender
Mar 10, 2019
Size comparison just for fun!

I know this doesn't bear the Cerberus namesake, but it's clearly a descendant. As an owner of the Cerberus X, I felt the aesthetic to be perfect having minimalism, but just enough detail in the right areas to not be a boring design (I also felt that the half window half vent side panels were the best things ever created but that's another discussion).

I'm wondering what is behind the design choice of all these... gamer angles everywhere? I understand the gap on the sides of the front panel is for airflow, but I don't see their purpose anywhere else. I also notice that the vents on the top plate are not flush with the colored panel, which seems like it's meant for cheaper hot-swap panels?

I don't mean to bash: I love the frame design, but the aesthetic deltas with Cerberus are my only deterrent just because I found Cerberus to be perfect. It looks leagues better than other SFF cases, but these small details irk me. I'm also very picky, but I'll probably buy it anyways...

jkiejr

Average Stuffer
Jan 26, 2018
I can't speak for Ksliger, just my opinion. The angles are in my view are more of a modern styling, it's been around way before the Gamer culture. Look at anything in the 80's everything had a futuristic look by putting hard angles on things and is still used today to convey that same idea.

The grating is inset, because i am assuming its easier to attach to the top of the case. I think it looks great like that because it gives depth to the top, instead of a single flat plate.

Reactions: Sahaj

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
Agreed, and for me, the greebles are what make it stand out versus the S1 or C4. Minimalistic sandwich feels like a pretty saturated space. I think we're all in for a treat when we see pics or videos of RGB-edgelit acrylic!

Last edited:
Reactions: KSliger and jkiejr

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I know this doesn't bear the Cerberus namesake, but it's clearly a descendant. As an owner of the Cerberus X, I felt the aesthetic to be perfect having minimalism, but just enough detail in the right areas to not be a boring design (I also felt that the half window half vent side panels were the best things ever created but that's another discussion).

I'm wondering what is behind the design choice of all these... gamer angles everywhere? I understand the gap on the sides of the front panel is for airflow, but I don't see their purpose anywhere else. I also notice that the vents on the top plate are not flush with the colored panel, which seems like it's meant for cheaper hot-swap panels?

I don't mean to bash: I love the frame design, but the aesthetic deltas with Cerberus are my only deterrent just because I found Cerberus to be perfect. It looks leagues better than other SFF cases, but these small details irk me. I'm also very picky, but I'll probably buy it anyways...

Not so much a descendant.

Cerberus was shaped by our manufacturing capabilities and in turn what features/design results in an case we can make. There was a lot of back and forth during the late days on the Cerberus that got it from what the original Nova was to what became Cerberus. Same thing applies to this case; took what we can do, what works for the form factor & layout, plus the feedback I got from this thread, and this is the result.

The edge slots real purpose is they mask when panels do not align perfectly. Can have a lot more play in how flat the panels are and it still looks the same with less QC labor. For comparison the side panels on Cerberus are run through a sheet roller to flatten them out, these are not.

Also with the market being so heavily driven by LEDs right now I did not see being yet another minimalist case as a market to chase. People want to see their LEDs, and want SFF, but have very little options. This case squeezes in between the oversized, mediocre cooling, cable management vomit of the Ophion, and the batch run / higher end / minimalist only look A4 / Loque / Thor trio.

I think you'll like the SM570 or SM580 with AIO support, they're a more minimalist look. Also the vertical cases I'm working on, see the SV590 thread, will be a very minimalist look.

I can't speak for Ksliger, just my opinion. The angles are in my view are more of a modern styling, it's been around way before the Gamer culture. Look at anything in the 80's everything had a futuristic look by putting hard angles on things and is still used today to convey that same idea.

The grating is inset, because i am assuming its easier to attach to the top of the case. I think it looks great like that because it gives depth to the top, instead of a single flat plate.

Top panel was originally on ball studs, but it did noting - still had to unscrew the sub top to really work in the case. Made it one piece, cheaper and looks cooler.

Shinken1

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2019
I'm really liking the pics of your prototypes. Do you have any details / schematics of the SM560 as I think that case might be perfect for me.

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I'm really liking the pics of your prototypes. Do you have any details / schematics of the SM560 as I think that case might be perfect for me.

Same everything as 550, but 3rd slot on width.

335mm x 151mm x 208mm or 10.52L

550 is 9.7L

Picture with 550 on top and next to a 560. Also shows the vented side panel design.

tayumpee

Case Bender
Mar 10, 2019
Not so much a descendant.

Cerberus was shaped by our manufacturing capabilities and in turn what features/design results in an case we can make. There was a lot of back and forth during the late days on the Cerberus that got it from what the original Nova was to what became Cerberus. Same thing applies to this case; took what we can do, what works for the form factor & layout, plus the feedback I got from this thread, and this is the result.

The edge slots real purpose is they mask when panels do not align perfectly. Can have a lot more play in how flat the panels are and it still looks the same with less QC labor. For comparison the side panels on Cerberus are run through a sheet roller to flatten them out, these are not.

Also with the market being so heavily driven by LEDs right now I did not see being yet another minimalist case as a market to chase. People want to see their LEDs, and want SFF, but have very little options. This case squeezes in between the oversized, mediocre cooling, cable management vomit of the Ophion, and the batch run / higher end / minimalist only look A4 / Loque / Thor trio.

I think you'll like the SM570 or SM580 with AIO support, they're a more minimalist look. Also the vertical cases I'm working on, see the SV590 thread, will be a very minimalist look.

I see the 590 thread, but are there threads for the the 570 and 580?

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Those look great! Its nice to see the comparison between the 2 slot and 3 slot GPU bay versions.
Building a PC for and with my Son this spring so this may be the one part that Dad picks out. We have budget of course and I gave him full control over the parts but my only stipulation so far is that it has to be SFF. We have to get the handle of course when its available. :cool:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
I see the 590 thread, but are there threads for the the 570 and 580?

Nothing yet, I was going to edit the OP for this thread to be for 550/560 and make a new thread for 570/580. But might just make this one thread about all 4 since they're all so close.

How thick are the vented panels? Those stringers going all the way across look a little worrisome from a rigidity perspective at a glance.

2mm thick