Production Sliger SM550/560/570/580 (2 and 3 slot riser layouts, with air and liquid cooling variants)

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
@KSliger Thanks for all of the updates! I've got a preorder in for the 550 and have started to stockpile parts. I'm hoping to use the Pallas cooler mounted on the Strix Z390-I but I'm worried about one part of the fit - and hoping you can confirm a measurement for me.

The Pallas only fits in one orientation and overhangs the edge of the board by about 26mm to the tips of the heat pipes. Is there a gap that wide in the 550 between the motherboard and PSU or should I be looking for a different cooler?

If it fits, it's going to be paired with 2 nf-f12's. I'd be happy to do any testing if others are curious once the case arrives.

That won't work, there's about 1/4" of clearance between motherboard and PSU.

Can you take the IO shroud off of the integrated IO cover? Or would it hit the back of case if rotated around 100 degrees?

If it doesn't work out I'll take it off the supported coolers list, bummer if it doesn't.

I almost forgot, what about ram height for those using aio? I have Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro and it is a bit tall for rgb ram.

Those fit! I used them in the SM550 and SM560 already, and those have the same fit for RAM / AIO Pump / CPU Cool clearance as teh 550 and 560 (55.9mm but recommended 55mm)

EDIT

Little teaser on the SM560!

Last edited:

madmaxx890

Cable Smoosher
Mar 21, 2019
Can you take the IO shroud off of the integrated IO cover? Or would it hit the back of case if rotated around 100 degrees?

No dice - it extends past the IO when rotated the other direction. I'll have to pick a different option

Any chance you have a prototype 560 you'd want to get rid of that fits 75mm coolers? The other cooler I have on hand already is a NH-L12S =]

Either way - I'm still pumped for the 550 and will probably end up going with the tried and tested L9i. Thanks for the quick response!

Last edited:

Acquire

Efficiency Noob
Sep 14, 2018
That SM560 is what I've been wanting for so long. Want to stay air cooled and shove an asus strix rtx 2080 Ti in there. Any update on when it'll be available?

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
No dice - it extends past the IO when rotated the other direction. I'll have to pick a different option

Any chance you have a prototype 560 you'd want to get rid of that fits 75mm coolers? The other cooler I have on hand already is a NH-L12S =]

Either way - I'm still pumped for the 550 and will probably end up going with the tried and tested L9i. Thanks for the quick response!

The 75mm prototype version is scrapped, had a CAM problem, couldn't even power it on to test it. 55m height coolers run great with the bottom fans, don't think the extra 20mm would have been worth the extra volume anyway.

L9i would be a solid choice!

That SM560 is what I've been wanting for so long. Want to stay air cooled and shove an asus strix rtx 2080 Ti in there. Any update on when it'll be available?

Designed it for that GPU! Page will be up Monday morning for pre-orders, and we should be shipping them by 4/5.

CantingSoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 2, 2018
The 75mm prototype version is scrapped, had a CAM problem, couldn't even power it on to test it. 55m height coolers run great with the bottom fans, don't think the extra 20mm would have been worth the extra volume anyway.

L9i would be a solid choice!

Designed it for that GPU! Page will be up Monday morning for pre-orders, and we should be shipping them by 4/5.
Just for clarification, will the pre-orders be charged upon shipping or at the time of ordering?

rindo

Efficiency Noob
Mar 22, 2019
Hello there,
I am pretty new to the sff world so forgive my noob questions.
regarding the SM550, I'd really love to get the windowed panel but I have to ask which is the best option for cooling :
  • "normal" cooling with, let's say Noctua L9i or cryorig c7 and just a normal gpu with fans.
  • with the "passive" cooling as shown by KSliger
I'm fine with both but since I'm not really the mod type of guy, I'd rather not have to take off the fans of a newly bought gpu XD

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Love the SM580 - support for 4 140mm fans including a 280mm radiator is the kind of thing I've been waiting for!

So many people just prioritise the absolute smallest enclosure when it doesn't always make sense with the higher TDP of modern enthusiast CPU's and the growing size of modern enthusiast GPU's.

Will keep a close eye on the Sliger store at the end of April for the SM580 - any estimates on international shipping (specifically Australia)? Something similar to the Cerberus I'm assuming - but thought I'd ask.
My feelings exactly. While 16+ Liters is a little big for a single GPU system, it's nice to see an SFF case that makes no sacrifices in terms of cooling or component compatibility. With how big GPU's are getting and how hot CPU's are becoming something like the SM580 needs to exist.

Reactions: vseddie

raulnorry

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 17, 2018

Man that's pretty unfortunate about the Pallas.

So I did some more research into the coolers, looking this time at the gap from heatspreader to fin stack and the style of heatpipes. It's obviously hard to try to come up with rankings based purely on specifications and numbers, but from what I can see, I think this is the ranking of best performing passive coolers in the 550/560:

1. Thermalright AXP-100 Copper (Much higher thermal mass, full copper thick fin tack, shortest height)
2-3. Thermalright AXP-100RH/H Muscle (Thick fin stack, high thermal mass)
4. Cooltek CR-701 (Direct touch heatpipes, fin gap above CPU closed off w/ aluminum fins)
5. Phanteks PH-TC12LS (High thermal mass, small fin gap)
6. BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP (Low thermal mass, only 4 heatpipes, largeish fin gap)
7. Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B (Shorter height, large fin gap, good thermal mass)
8. Reeven Brontes (Very small fin gap, low thermal mass, shorter height, low thermal mass, only 4 heatpipes)
9. Noctua NH-L9x65 (only four heatpipes, for some reason this cooler design is just not efficient)

Last edited:

KSliger

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Sliger Designs
May 8, 2015
Just for clarification, will the pre-orders be charged upon shipping or at the time of ordering?

Charged at order.

I would see capturing funds when it ships, and a card isn't valid/low on funds, as being a problem with other method.

Hello there,
I am pretty new to the sff world so forgive my noob questions.
regarding the SM550, I'd really love to get the windowed panel but I have to ask which is the best option for cooling :
  • "normal" cooling with, let's say Noctua L9i or cryorig c7 and just a normal gpu with fans.
  • with the "passive" cooling as shown by KSliger
I'm fine with both but since I'm not really the mod type of guy, I'd rather not have to take off the fans of a newly bought gpu XD

Because of the fans in the bottom, you can use the L9i and a 2 slot GPU with fans on it for really good temps even with the window. My 1070 and i5-9600k + L9i setup never went above the 70s when gaming with two fans in bottom with window panels.

Semi-passive mod is strictly window or unvented side panels, don't try it with vented as everything runs ~10C hotter.

Wait, no 75mm clearance in the sm560?

Turned the case into an ugly cube, made the volume huge, and it had less cooling options than an M1 for a higher price.

Really had no purpose. Then it had a fabrication mistake where I couldn't even test it, so 75mm version is dead.

Reactions: rindo and Sahaj

Sahaj

Average Stuffer
Dec 10, 2017
So I think this is the ranking of best performing passive coolers in the 550/560:

1. Thermalright AXP-100 Copper (Much higher thermal mass, full copper thick fin tack, shortest height)

Thanks for taking the time to do this! I wonder whether the design is offset enough to allow any RAM height.

The AXP-100 seems like some kind of rarity checking on Amazon, NewEgg, and then Google. Go figure, the hunt leads us back here:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/thermalright-axp-100-pure-copper.8504/

Reactions: KSliger

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
Has any testing been done comparing GPU temperatures with the acrylic panel vs the vented panel? I'm curious how much of a cooling loss is experienced without the side vents.

N0_Klu3

Efficiency Noob
New User
Sep 26, 2018
I really love the vented sides and super want it with the 560 3 slot.

BUT is there any chance of some magnetic dust filters fitting the vented sides? And fan mounts?

Last edited:

shokwaav

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2018
I'm very interested in the SM550 or 570, but I really want more benchmarks to be done regarding the passive cooling by others in the forum with various heatsinks. The 6L increase from the 550 to the 570 is quite significant.

shokwaav

Caliper Novice
Sep 27, 2018
Man that's pretty unfortunate about the Pallas.

So I did some more research into the coolers, looking this time at the gap from heatspreader to fin stack and the style of heatpipes. It's obviously hard to try to come up with rankings based purely on specifications and numbers, but from what I can see, I think this is the ranking of best performing passive coolers in the 550/560:

2-3. Thermalright AXP-100RH/H Muscle (Thick fin stack, high thermal mass)
4. Cooltek CR-701 (Direct touch heatpipes, fin gap above CPU closed off w/ aluminum fins)
5. Phanteks PH-TC12LS (High thermal mass, small fin gap)
6. BeQuiet Shadow Rock LP (Low thermal mass, only 4 heatpipes, largeish fin gap)
7. Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. B (Shorter height, large fin gap, good thermal mass)
8. Reeven Brontes (Very small fin gap, low thermal mass, shorter height, low thermal mass, only 4 heatpipes)
9. Noctua NH-L9x65 (only four heatpipes, for some reason this cooler design is just not efficient)

What about the Big Shruiken 3?

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
Really like this case design! Anyway, isn't top ventilation holes restrictive compared to the bottom one?