Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
Anthony Anderson Abc GIF by HULU

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
First Look. May do a video. Needs better cabling, but PSU is too new for Cablemod. The fittings on the side of the CPU WB is a "mini res" so I can see if I'm low on water and also the fill port.

Asus ROG Strix X670E-I MB
7950X3D w/ EK CPU/Pump/Res Block
4090 Zotac Trinity OC w/ EK Rack Block
Cooler Master V1100 SFX Platinum
2 x EK 280mm x 30mm Radiator
4 x Artic P14 Slim
Bitspower/Barrow fittings.

Thats beautiful! Do you use the TG side panel or two perforated? Do you undervolt your 4090 or OC it? What are your clocks and temps like on it?

Wilson

Chassis Packer
Mar 23, 2020
Thats beautiful! Do you use the TG side panel or two perforated? Do you undervolt your 4090 or OC it? What are your clocks and temps like on it?
I got the TG. Right now I only just completed the leak test. I don’t plan on OC it. This build is more for aesthetic, although I may underclock it if there’s a thermal issue.

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
I got the TG. Right now I only just completed the leak test. I don’t plan on OC it. This build is more for aesthetic, although I may underclock it if there’s a thermal issue.
You should be fine at stock with it, id guess mid to low 50s on core and mem and mid low 60s hot spot.

crxss

Caliper Novice
Sep 22, 2022
Debating on selling my Dark Gray (with perforated and glass panel) case if anyone’s looking for one. I built it once but moved to a smaller case. Would be more interested in the Air version when/if it releases. Any update on that TC? Hope it can go 3.25+ slot mode

Last edited:

Cody K

Cable Smoosher
Nov 10, 2022
Taylor do you have the specs for the 8 screws that attach the vertical fan panels? I cross threaded one and need to find the right tap. Are they like M2.5 or M2.6? Thread pitch is too small for me to measure, maybe .45mm or .5mm?

Reactions: TaylorChiller

riba2233

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFF Time
Jan 2, 2019
www.sfftime.com
Taylor do you have the specs for the 8 screws that attach the vertical fan panels? I cross threaded one and need to find the right tap. Are they like M2.5 or M2.6? Thread pitch is too small for me to measure, maybe .45mm or .5mm?

Don't know the answer, but just wanted to tell you that you have an epic PFP, sorry for OT mods 😅

Reactions: Cody K

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Take the screw to your local hardware store. They usually have a jig that can measure the threading to find you the right tap. YMMV but thats been my experience. Maybe call them first.

Reactions: Cody K

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey Cody,

All the screws are standard not metric, (with exception of the three small countersunk screws that secure the black aluminum rails to the caps).

The screw you are asking about - Thread size: 4-40 https://www.mcmaster.com/91249A107/

If you need to go up a size I would actually suggest using an M3 because it is just slightly larger without being too big.

Cody K

Cable Smoosher
Nov 10, 2022
Hey Cody,

All the screws are standard not metric, (with exception of the three small countersunk screws that secure the black aluminum rails to the caps).

The screw you are asking about - Thread size: 4-40 https://www.mcmaster.com/91249A107/

If you need to go up a size I would actually suggest using an M3 because it is just slightly larger without being too big.
Ok perfect, thank you so much!

vprcre

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Had a hell of a time getting all my required parts in, now that I'm onto the cable management phase I've found that tucking the USB 3.1 and 3.2 header cables behind the PCI-E riser and then looping over to the edge of the motherboard is the neatest solution. Could interference be a concern here since they're all touching?

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
Had a hell of a time getting all my required parts in, now that I'm onto the cable management phase I've found that tucking the USB 3.1 and 3.2 header cables behind the PCI-E riser and then looping over to the edge of the motherboard is the neatest solution. Could interference be a concern here since they're all touching?
I would think theres enough shielding from the rubber on the pcie riser, your probably good. Only one way to find out though lol

Reactions: vprcre

am1racle

Efficiency Noob
Mar 30, 2022
So i rebuilt recently and moved from the 4080 FE to the 4090 FE with the heatkiller waterblock. It is a dense boy. Overall, I still really love this case, and after building in it twice, I'd definitely buy it again but its not without its own challenges.

Updated Specs:
  • CPU: Intel Core i9-12900KS (standard 260w power limits)
  • Motherboard: MSI Z690i UNIFY
  • RAM: 32GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill
  • GPU: Nvidia RTX 4090 FE (600w power limit)
  • PSU: ASUS Loki 1000W SFX-L
  • SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME (x2)
Water Cooling:
  • CPU Block: EKWB DDC CPU/Pump Block Combo
  • GPU Block: Heatkiller 4090 FE Waterblock
  • Radiator 1: Corsair XR5 280MM
  • Rad1 Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A14 Chromax.Black (Exhaust)
  • Radiator 2: Alphacool ST20 Slim 280MM
  • Rad2 Fans: 2x Noctua NF-A12x15 (Exhaust)
  • Monitoring: Aquacomputer High-Flow 2
  • Monitoring/Control: Aquacomputer Quadro Controller
  • Tubing: EKWB 12mm OD Acrylic
  • Fittings: EKWB Satin Titanium Fittings/Adapters
  • Coolant: Aquacomputer DP Ultra Blue

Temps (Ambient Room Temperature is 25c):
  • Synthetic Load (3D Mark, Timespy Extreme Stress Test, 4K, 20 Runs)
    • CPU Max: 91c (Pcore 5)
    • CPU Average: 67c (All Pcore average)
    • GPU Core: 68c
    • GPU Memory: 65c
    • GPU Hotspot: 73c
  • Coolant Temp:
    • Idle: 29-31c
    • Gaming Load (4K BF2042): 35-36c
    • Synthetic Benchmark: 38.1c
  • Fan/Pump Setup:
    • Fans spin at 40% minimum and will ramp to 80% based on coolant temp (ramping to max when coolant reaching 34.5c)
      • I recognize that this is a pretty "loud" setup, but being in the living room and sitting about 10ft away from my TV and PC when gaming, its not a bothersome level of sound. Our stationary fans to cool the room are significantly louder so its a non-issue. I also acknowledge that this is A LOT(up to 180-ish watts from the CPU and 450w from the GPU when gaming, higher in benchmarks) of power with 2 small radiators, so temps aren't as picture perfect, but theyre absolutely satisfactory and I don't see any throttling.

Case Desires:
- Use 2x 280 radiators 30mm and 25mm fans (i use 1x 30mm w 25mm fans and 1x 20mm with 15mm slim fans). I would have been okay with a 10-15mm larger case (although I know SFF is all about size) to have that compromise.
- I also wish I could have slightly shorter USB and front panel header cables, as the motherboard is always in the same spot and likely same orientation so it feels like the cables are a bit too long. But I could probably make custom shorter ones if I was talented enough.
- Next time if the screws could be magnetic that would be awesome. I've lost a few of the fallen soldiers in my dining room against the wood floor lol.
- Optional feet that could be added in the standard upright orientation to raise it just a bit more. Since I use mine hooked up to my AVR/TV as a living room 4K setup, I use a thickboy HDMI cable and its a bit of a tight fit. Currently using furniture raisers to give me a bit of extra height.

Personal Desires:
- SFF PSU cables that were more flexible and a different length. I went through cable mod and had a small discount so I went with the pro-config cables and theyre thick boys. I don't think they're hindering the airflow too much, its just asthetically not as pleasing as I'd like. I got the shortest possible 12VHPWR cable and its still super long and has to do a 180 bend in the case lol.
- I wish they made better 140mm slim fans for smaller builds like this. (the Arctic P14's have been known to rattle so I stayed with Noctua's)

Last edited:

vprcre

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Finally wrapped up my build, which involved too many fitting re-orders and waiting several long weeks for the 7800X3D (that ended up getting lost in the mail).

Specs:
  • 7800X3D w/ Heatkiller IV
  • Gigabyte B650I Aorus Ultra
  • 64GB G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo (EXPO 6000 30-40-40-96)
  • 3080 FE w/ EK Vector
  • Silverstone 850R w/ DreamBigRay cables
  • Phanteks R160C Glacier reservoir & EK PWM DDC pump
  • 2x Alpahcool ST20 280mm radiators
  • 4x LianLi UNI Infinity fans
  • Aquacomputer Quadro fan controller w/ alphacool temp probe
  • Corsair XL8 Coolant and Satin 12mm tubing
Special thanks to Baka who I found on reddit and had already solved many of the same problems I was facing, they were a great help with figuring out what EK fittings to use with this radiator configuration (although my particular setup necessitated a micro-90 behind the GPU PCI bracket).

This case was a treat to build in and an even bigger joy to display! The infinity fans in particular are mesmerizing, I was worried the effect wouldn't show behind the tinted glass but it's better than ever. Cable management was surprisingly chill with room to tuck header cables behind the PCI-E riser and a decent amount of volume to shove extra length between the PSU and 'roof'.

Some things went wrong which were fun to work around and keep in mind for the next iteration:
  • My plan to do a direct run between the Res and GPU was so close to working flawlessly, but unfortunately ran into space issues. The only way I could come up with to fill the reservoir was to attach a QDC to a micro-90 rotary at the left (and only) fill port, which is right up against the exhaust fan. I then had to push the GPU and spine of the case all the way to the right for the ports to line up, but unfortunately they are about 1-2mm off with the PCI bracket already bumping into the intake fans. As a result the short run between the two components is a little askew but structurally sound. All the more reason to slap a waterblock on a 5000-series card when they release and re-do my runs 😈

• I noticed after everything was put together that the reservoir isn't fully parallel with the case on the front-to-back axis, I think the fins on the DDC are bumping up against the spine and pushing it out of alignment. Again something to fix with the next revision when hopefully working with a shorter GPU and more room.

• Due to the orientation of the motherboard 24-pin port, the cable has to do a 180° flip which does not look great. Cutting my own cable to size might help but that's low on the list since that side's not on display (same reason I went with ZMT there).

• The Quadro wouldn't stay in place when double-sided taped to the spine, it's a little askew but you can't really tell behind the tint.

• Should have gotten cable combs for the GPU 12-pin! I 3D printed my own but it's not the same.

• Temps would probably be improved if all fans were intake, but they're already plenty low with no noise as it is. I run the front fans a little faster for some positive pressure.
The only things I wish this case had were 5mm extra length (or provisions for a fill port at the top rear) and better glue for the side panel magnets!

Last edited:

vprcre

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
The Glacier fits great, if I didn't need to line it up with the GPU hah. Unfortunately it does a crap job of removing bubbles in this orientation though.