Completed SLATE-CASE AQ >>Status Update - Finalizing Order Fulfillments!

6ixty9ine

Caliper Novice
Feb 13, 2020
Just some heads up on the included PCIe riser - I've been having on and off issues where nvlddmkm.sys fails upon system wake. Was happening once every few days. It stopped when I swapped to PCI 3.0 setting on BIOS. Issue crops up when it's set to 'auto' or PCI 4.0. Clean driver installs didn't work either.

Not sure if it's actually my motherboard giving grief though.

X570i Strix
3080 TUF

No real biggie for me but a heads up for everyone else here.

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Just some heads up on the included PCIe riser - I've been having on and off issues where nvlddmkm.sys fails upon system wake. Was happening once every few days. It stopped when I swapped to PCI 3.0 setting on BIOS. Issue crops up when it's set to 'auto' or PCI 4.0. Clean driver installs didn't work either.

Not sure if it's actually my motherboard giving grief though.

X570i Strix
3080 TUF

No real biggie for me but a heads up for everyone else here.
Thanks for the feedback! We are tallying any issues found and asking the factory about them.

Reactions: BatCatDog

vprcre

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
I'm amazed that this run lined up on the first try. 10/10 hole pattern for the universal mount.

This'll be trickier when the waterblock is actually mounted to the GPU but I'm hopeful, seems like worst case I can screw down the PCI bracket after I'm done. Now time to 3D print some dummy radiators and see what fits, will probably end up going with 280 + 140 GTS though.

Baka

Average Stuffer
Aug 5, 2022
will probably end up going with 280 + 140 GTS though.
I know you've been looking for the ST20s which seem out of stock until 4/23 but thoughts on these? I heard they're not as efficient with the cylinder vs. flat tubing but pair them up with some 28mm fans to push more air through and they might be worthwhile.

Reactions: vprcre

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Just a slight word of caution for anyone who needs to go with the Noctua 140-120mm fan adapters, the NF A12x15 fans do not fit out of the box. You'll need to take a Dremel or sander to the insides of the frames of the adapters on all four sides. There's too much material to slot the fans in otherwise.

Additionally you'll have to cut the screw posts on the adapter down to the height of the fan or lower.

Last edited:

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
only two suggestions to make this case perfect and more sales to the masses:

1 - bring GPU length cleareance a little bit higher. 330mm cards are common nowadays

2 - bring the price down to $230-250 or so and you'll have alot more willing buyers. remember that this is already a niche hobby community. people who are willing to pay $350 in the SFFPC community is an additional smaller portion.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaylorChiller

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
1 - bring GPU length cleareance a little bit higher. 330mm cards are common nowadays
100% agree. I wish it could support longer cards like the strix 4090. Would also allow more room for pumps and reservoirs.
2 - bring the price down to $230-250 or so and you'll have alot more willing buyers. remember that this is already a niche hobby community. people who are willing to pay $350 in the SFFPC community is an additional smaller poportion.
I think the price is perfect where it's at. $350 is fine. Taylorchiller and his team gotta eat! But seriously the build quality of the slate case more than justifies the cost. That and the small order quantity is why it costs what it costs.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
I will always take better materials, quality, and finish over cost. The Slate has a few issues, but it really is a phenomenal case.

I'd like to see support for 25mm fans across the board, and a revision to the thumb nuts for mounting. Outside of those issues, the case hits so many of my checkboxes it's more than worth the price of admission.

Ghostman103

Cable Smoosher
Aug 25, 2022
Has anyone had any issues out of the riser with a 4090, specifically a Gigabyte Aorus 4090. I got everything setup but the GPU isn't recognized by the PC at all. I know the PSU and the GPU work because I had them in a temporary case till I received the god tier Slate AQ. Once I figure that out it's time for build pics, one word of warning. If going with a 4090 and a cpu block without an integrated pump res, with hardline tubing, don't. Unless you want to be locked in an asylum.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Has anyone had any issues out of the riser with a 4090, specifically a Gigabyte Aorus 4090. I got everything setup but the GPU isn't recognized by the PC at all. I know the PSU and the GPU work because I had them in a temporary case till I received the god tier Slate AQ. Once I figure that out it's time for build pics, one word of warning. If going with a 4090 and a cpu block without an integrated pump res, with hardline tubing, don't. Unless you want to be locked in an asylum.
Seems to be a reported issue regarding 4090s. Taylor is in touch with the MFG of the riser cable.

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
@Ghostman103 @N9neBreak3r

Hey Guys,

Can you share your cpu and motherboard models with the setups you have/had trouble with the riser cable? Just want to double check some things.

Best,

Taylor
Motherboard: Asus x570-i strix
CPU: Ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: Asus Strix 4090

Had this problem with the included slate case riser as well as the gen 4 riser that comes with the lian li o11 mini vertical mount bracket kit. The only riser that works with my 4090 is the louqe cobalt gen 4+

With the slate riser it would get to the point where it would show the boot screen logo than freeze 1 out of 10 times the system is powered on. The other 9 times I would get no display out and a vga error light. Same setup worked perfectly fine with my 3090 FE.
With the lian li riser the system would boot into windows 7 out of 10 times but would exhibit slow downs and stutters. Launching a game would cause the gpu to only pull around 90 watts of power and have extremely low utilization. After a short time (5 or so minutes) the system would lock up and need a hard restart. The other 3 out of 10 times it would not boot.

I'm still confident in my theory that the riser is not making a snug enough connection with the pcie fingers on the gpu and that is why this issue happens with certain 4090 cards. Hope this helps and please keep us updated on what you figure out! Even though I've found a work around to the issue, I'm very curious to definitively know the cause.

Hexxagram

Trash Compacter
Jul 8, 2018
@Ghostman103 @N9neBreak3r

Hey Guys,

Can you share your cpu and motherboard models with the setups you have/had trouble with the riser cable? Just want to double check some things.

Best,

Taylor
ASUS X570-i Strix
RYZEN 5800X3D
Radeon 6800 XT

I guess I'm not the only one who had issues with these wonky riser cables. That thing ruined the fun of my build process. PC won't boot to Windows most of the time but when it does, it stutters like hell then crashes. The problem instantly gone when I put the GPU back on the motherboard's PCI-E slot. I remedied the problem with a 4.0 riser cable from Cooler Master. Now the system works flawlessly again.

Ghostman103

Cable Smoosher
Aug 25, 2022
If only I had that much space available, I can't say every mm counted because I probably pushed it. Still for a few hours, even without a GPU, she was beautiful. I have taken her apart for now though, a Jonsbo D31 will have to do when it gets here.

N9neBreak3r

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 17, 2020
ASUS X570-i Strix
RYZEN 5800X3D
Radeon 6800 XT

I guess I'm not the only one who had issues with these wonky riser cables. That thing ruined the fun of my build process. PC won't boot to Windows most of the time but when it does, it stutters like hell then crashes. The problem instantly gone when I put the GPU back on the motherboard's PCI-E slot. I remedied the problem with a 4.0 riser cable from Cooler Master. Now the system works flawlessly again.

Can you give me a link to the coolermaster riser you bought?

Hexxagram

Trash Compacter
Jul 8, 2018
Can you give me a link to the coolermaster riser you bought?
Here you go brotha. 4.0 riser cable

I did a little mod with that riser cable. I popped off the plastic cover near the contacts so I can insert the cable in the slot. You can see it in the photo I posted above. That Cooler Master cable is a little bit stiffer than the riser cable supplied with our case because it is double-cabled.

Reactions: N9neBreak3r

TaylorChiller

Super Magical Detailer
Original poster
Oct 10, 2019
Hey,

So I went through most of the reports with the GPU cable issue. It seems to have only affected 40 series cards, specifically the 4090. And, most commonly with setups using AMD cpus/motherboards. The factory stated that it has something to do with AMD architecture requiring an even higher quality cable. They reported that Intel architecture is more friendly with running PCIe 4.0 on high end GPUs.

Because these cards were released well after the Slate Case cable design was implemented it would have been impossible for us to know about this. For that reason, the best we can do, for those that experience problems running PCIe 4.0 on the newest Nvidia and AMD cards, is to send them another cable from our overstock at no cost; Shipping would be paid by the customer. But, I cannot guarantee it will solve the issue.

Those with newer, higher-end cards can seek brands that have a double layer/cable design.

For the future, we are going to accommodate a new riser cable design.

Best regards,

Taylor, Protolyth