Skyreach 4 Mini #1175 USB Freedom

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017

Specs:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $169.99)
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-L9a-AM4 33.8 CFM CPU Cooler (Purchased For $39.90)
Ram: G.SKILL Aegis 16 GB(2 x 8 gb) DDR4 3000 mHz (Purchased For $129.00)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B350-I GAMING Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($142.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX300 1.1TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $270.99)
Storage: XPG SX7000 PCIe NVME Gen3x4 M.2 512GB SSD (ASX7000NP-512GT-C) (Purchased For $154.99)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card (Purchased For $350.00)
Other: ASUS Impresario SBW-S1 PRO USB 7.1 Sound Card / DAC with Blu-ray (Purchased For $190.98)
Other: NFC Skyreach 4 Mini (Purchased For $199.99)
Power Supply: Dell Alienware M18x 330W AC Adapter XM3C3 (Purchased For $99.00)
Power Supply: HDPLEX 400W HiFi DC-ATX (Purchased For $95.00)
Other: StarTech.com USB3SPNLAFHD 2 Port Panel Mount USB 3.0 Cable - USB A to Motherboard Header Cable F/F (Purchased For $14.19)
Total: $1857.01
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-02-14 18:45 EST-0500

Current problems:
- Custom Bezel is bowing at the middle due to misaligned screw holes on bezel
- NVMe drive is dead, waiting on RMA

So, I was going to do a build log now that I've got it built. Two problems:

1. The frosted acrylic bezel I ordered bows out at the middle because the screw holes at the top do not match with the case. I'm thinking of drilling holes at the usb screw holes since I'm currently using washers to mount the usb ports. The bolts that came with the usb ports are not flat head, so they won't be flush with the case, making it impossible to have a flat bezel without changing the bolts(I can't use the bolts that came with my case as they are a different thread size). I went to my local hardware store, and they had the correct size threaded bolt, but were longer than the provided ones(they don't have any shorter length ones).

As stated before, I am currently using washers to make up for the extra length in the bolt, but if I drill into the acrylic bezel at the same points for mounting the usb ports, I should be able to take out the washers and just screw the bezel and the ports directly together with the new bolts I acquired. I'm tempted to just take the original bezel and have someone just laser cut it with the same design.

2. My NVME drive failed 2 days after I installed windows. Waiting on the RMA form so I can get me a new drive. In the meantime, I reinstalled windows on a spare HDD I had lying around.

I fixed the bezel by filing down the screw holes with files that @Josh | NFC sent me. Thanks Josh!

The new m.2 drive came in yesterday, so I was able to remove the tethered 3.5" drive and cloned it on the new drive.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Your bezel isn't right so we need to make it right.

I don't know what the problem is though because I tested it (and all bezels) before shipping them out. If you could email me with some high res photos so we can troubleshoot I can make you another one to match your particular MINI or I can pay to have that one shipped to me so I can fix it. Or a refund or something else.

If you or anyone ever has a problem please email me and let me know. I'm here to help you get something perfect not something that isn't working.

As for the screws--thanks for posting that. It will be helpful for others to know they need to buy flush screws. I learned that too earlier this week and was annoyed that the USB3 panel mount connector I had used something other than M3. What screw type/size was it? Like M3.5?

Looking forward to that email....

Peace!

Reactions: Phuncz

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
@Josh | NFC The guy that assisted me didn't tell me the thread size and I didn't ask. Its close by to my university so I'll run by there after class on Friday.

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
So I decided today while I was working on my computer, that I would try cutting off the screws' extra length with a wirecutter. Probably wasn't the best idea, but I got it to work and screw in. I had to kinda re-thread the ends though, as they got a little mangled from the bad cutting job. The good news is I don't have to use washers in order to mount the usb plugs anymore.

I ended up putting the skybracket duo back in as well as the bracket for the larger fan. I used the larger fan bracket to zip tie some cables as they tended to push against the front bezel. Hopefully this will keep it from doing so.

Also updated the first post with some new pictures of the outside case.

If you notice the third image in the series, the usb ports seem a little off. Its not the bezel is off, but rather the mounting points are too close to the edge of the opening. It's okay, and it works, but if you are planning to do this sort of mod, its something to be aware of.

Also, as stated before in the "Problems in depth" make sure you get flat head screws. The ones that come with the usb ports are not flat head, and will cause issues with mounting the bezel as they won't be flush. The extra screws that come with the case are too big in thread size, so you must acquire them elsewhere.

Last edited:

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Nov 29, 2017
So, I'm still not satisfied with the wiring job I did. I would really like to take that atx power extension cable out and simply move the dc/dc closer to the motherboard. Since the USB ports block the top/regular position, I originally thought it would be okay at the very bottom(when the S4M is upright). However, because the distance from the atx power connector on the motherboard is the farthest from that position, I am forced to use an extension cable. I'm also considering places for fans, as my S4M is sitting around 40 to 50 c on idle temps, which 40 c is okay, 50 c is not.

I'm going to do some experimentation and see how far i can get the atx power cable to reach. Right now I'm thinking it might be possible to stick it between the graphics card and the case, on the side with fans by making in vertical, and then rotating it by 90 degrees. Although I'm not currently able to look at my S4M atm, I have a feeling I abandoned this idea before because I thought it might be too tall for that position. I will see when I get home.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
SFF cable management is a challenge indeed. You've done great work with the current cable setup. A few cable ties may help though! I wonder if non-sleeved cables would be tidier (counter-intuitive, I know).

Either way, fantastic build!

Reactions: Nightblade