Sketchup Make (the free one) going online only in 2018

Sketchup Online :( What do?

• Total voters

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
This is bad news, considering i feel like 90% of the people here have used sketchup at one point or another to model their things.
In 2018, "Sketchup Make" is Online only, and you'll have to pay ($1450!) for Pro.
https://www.sketchup.com/products/sketchup-free

The major disadvantage is no plugins (for obvious reasons... though I guess they might open it up for web-plugins later?), and the web only version has way worse performance.
I for example use a plugin that converts a face into a 2d SVG for laser cutting, making case design with acrylic panels super easy to prototype.

The good-ish news is that the 2017 version is still downloadable (for now...) but won't be maintained going forward.
I have a nasty feeling they will make Sketchfab import for pro only in the future.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
the bad is,
yeah there are alternatives, but what about the library? :(((

you will be able to download the save file of the web version?

XeaLouS

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 29, 2015
the bad is,
yeah there are alternatives, but what about the library? :(((
you will be able to download the save file of the web version?
You can save and load to the web version.

After using the web version for 5 minutes here's my opinion:
* It's slow
* It looks better though (some better form of anti-aliasing)
* No keyboard shortcuts pisses me off.
* Opening a file the first time uploads it, which sucks if you have large files.
* GUI is more minimalistic, but involves way more clicks to get to common tools.

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
What a bummer
Does anyone have the installer for the 2017 version ?
SketchUp Make 2017 is still on the official SketchUp website.
I'm so glad that I'm still a student. I'm most likely going to get SketchUp Pro ($49), and I just ordered SolidWorks ($99).

Reactions: razaldo

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The positives:

• Still a great tool for quickly mocking up and visualizing 3D space.
  • All the keyboard shortcuts I used before still work.
  • Even easier for NON designers to open and view models (which is the primary reason for Sketchup for me now)
  • Cloud storage of models is awesome. I'm spoiled by Fusion 360 and this will be amazing for Sketchup.
  • Performs adequately and the convenience of having Sketchup on ALL devices is awesome. Chromebooks starting to look useful.
  • MUCH better GUI. It takes a little getting used to, but I think it is MUCH improved.
All in all I think this is the first update Trimble has made to Sketchup that I actually am impressed with. The majority of people who are upset are people like me who learned Sketchup as their first CAD program and refuse to switch to the program they should be using. I gimped along with Sketchup making it do things it really is terrible at with plugin after plugin. I've spent more money on plugins than I have on my Pro licenses.

But I finally made the switch about two years back to the CAD program that does what I actually need it to do, out of the box, far better. I still use Sketchup for quickly mocking something up to check measurements, and as an easy to install "viewer" for curious customers and clients. This update actually improves Sketchup for how it is supposed to be used.

Of course, that is like...and opinion or something. XD

Peace!

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
The positives:

• Still a great tool for quickly mocking up and visualizing 3D space.
  • All the keyboard shortcuts I used before still work.
  • Even easier for NON designers to open and view models (which is the primary reason for Sketchup for me now)
  • Cloud storage of models is awesome. I'm spoiled by Fusion 360 and this will be amazing for Sketchup.
  • Performs adequately and the convenience of having Sketchup on ALL devices is awesome. Chromebooks starting to look useful.
  • MUCH better GUI. It takes a little getting used to, but I think it is MUCH improved.
All in all I think this is the first update Trimble has made to Sketchup that I actually am impressed with. The majority of people who are upset are people like me who learned Sketchup as their first CAD program and refuse to switch to the program they should be using. I gimped along with Sketchup making it do things it really is terrible at with plugin after plugin. I've spent more money on plugins than I have on my Pro licenses.

But I finally made the switch about two years back to the CAD program that does what I actually need it to do, out of the box, far better. I still use Sketchup for quickly mocking something up to check measurements, and as an easy to install "viewer" for curious customers and clients. This update actually improves Sketchup for how it is supposed to be used.

Of course, that is like...and opinion or something. XD

Peace!
What CAD program do you use for your final designs?

royalba94

Airflow Optimizer
AVAENTUM SLEEVING
Apr 2, 2017
Avaentum.com
You can save and load to the web version.

After using the web version for 5 minutes here's my opinion:
* It's slow
* It looks better though (some better form of anti-aliasing)
* No keyboard shortcuts pisses me off.
* Opening a file the first time uploads it, which sucks if you have large files.
* GUI is more minimalistic, but involves way more clicks to get to common tools.

Pretty much my thoughts as well, with the worst thing being that it requires more clicks to get to tools (read: FRUSTRATING). I'm trying to fully switch to Fusion 360 anyway tho so I guess it's neither here nor there for me.

Definitely not using the web version (at least until it's maybe updated) so I'll stick with my download of the 2017 version...

razaldo

Cable Smoosher
Oct 14, 2016
SketchUp Make 2017 is still on the official SketchUp website.
I'm so glad that I'm still a student. I'm most likely going to get SketchUp Pro ($49), and I just ordered SolidWorks ($99).

Thanks for that - found the download links on the official SketchUp website for their 2017 and 2016 versions through google

The official website does not mention these links explicitly anywhere (none that I could find at least)

Here is the link for anyone interested:
https://www.sketchup.com/download/all

HeroXLazer

King of Cable Management
Sep 11, 2016
I use Fusion 360 but Solid Works is also great if you have access to that.
I've tried Fusion 360, but I don't know, there's something about SolidWorks that I really like. One of the major pluses is that Fusion 360 online can convert .stp/.step files to .skp files.