Prototype BK rev. 1 | 5L case with GPU and Hard Drive

drablienad

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
September 3rd, 2017:

Hello there SFF Forum, looking to make a computer case for myself and maybe others if they so desire to have one as well. I currently have a Fractal Design Node 202 and actually, even though it isn't, think its really big for what you can put into it. Not to mention it technically shouldn't have a 3.5" hard drive, wink wink. When I first purchased the Node 202 I got myself a 2.5" HDD and wanted to kill myself because it took ages to just boot up, not to mention downloads, so I went against the laws of its confines and stuffed a hard drive under a GTX 980ti. Everything was fine, nothing wrong, but it just didn't feel safe having it just sit under a gpu with a piece of styrofoam to try and keep it down. So I saw Linus make his own and that's what I wanted to do as well. My plan was to make, obviously, the smallest pc case that can fit a gpu under 170ish millimeters, a Noctua Nh-L9i and a full fledged HDD.

So Specs:
-Dimensions: H 20cm, W 11.3cm, L 22.2cm
-Needs a PCIe extender, probably about 300cm like Dan Case
-Material: 20 gauge(1.01mm) galvaneal
-Mini Itx motherboard
-Room for a M.2 drive(not entirely sure that there's space or not)
-1 SSD, 1 HDD
-Can fit GPU up to EVGA 1060 SSC(173mm)
-was just aiming to fit Gigabyte 1070 mini, it does
-CPU Cooler Height: 39mm, aimed to fit nh-l9i
-will fit front i/o and power button
-no fans

Other Notes: Was going to use Protocase, but that was expensive, so I'm using a bending brake from Harbor Freight and a dremel. haven't made all details, looking for feedback.

Pics:

September 20th, 2017:

Even though nobody has really taken any notice to my build I have posted this on Reddit and seemed to have recieved some love, even if people would've hated the build due to anything I still would've wanted to keep it going because I want that hard drive. So I am mow in prototyping mode, just bought the sheet metal tonight and the bending brake will be purchased by this weekend. Planning to complete the entire project by next weekend because I need to pick up a power button, polyester coating, and front i/o so that'll take some time. Found that this project will only come to about $100 USD in total to make, I got the DREMEL for free. Sheet metal is 0.04 inch thick Aluminum 3003 H14. Puchased from OnlineMetals seemed to be the cheapest option. Bending brake will be from Harbor Freight.

Stuff that's new:
-Changed the main panel a little added an extra lip to screw removable panel to so it isn't wombly
- this was just a precaution
-changed metal from Galvanneal to Aluminum
-honestly had no idea why I had it this way before but now changed

One question:
How should I make the vent for air be most optimal but can have dust shield.

Pics:

People are asking what the box is on top of the gpu. It's the HDPLEX 400w psu. I have read the space requirements on a past post on this and everything passed.

September 22, 2017

So I'm only 16 so I have to go to school. So I mostly have this stuff on paper and some on CAD, plus I don't like working on CAD don't hate me. So some changes that I have made, well they aren't really changes just additions:

Changes/Additions:
-made a small detachable bracket that will keep the gpu from sagging because, just having 2 screws holding the card down isn't possible. This should keep most sag from occurring if it doesn't thennnnnnn...
-going to make another bracket that is going to have standoffs for the front I/o. This will hang from the top of the case. Keep in mind both of these additions will require screws to hold in place. If I were to actually produce this to you guys then the I/o would be welded on for less hassle with what is already 34 screws I believe.

Pics:

Thing I still need to do:
-find a type of ventilation for the intake for GPU and CPU
-will do CAD addition to this so that it's easier for you. IB is a pain in the butt

September 23, 2017:

So I found that after prototyping the case there is one small part that I over looked. I needed to account for the thickness of the metal with the bends:

So what the difference is it allows the other peice to slip through. That's pretty much it.

September 27, 2017:

I have now cut out the entire pc case it has all happened. Everything went well other than that the DREMEL bits kept breaking, but that wasn't to bad because I went through all of them. One thing is that I still need to buy 3 things; the PCIe Riser, Front Panel I/O, and power button. I have this in mind for the i/o, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Case-Panel-USB3-0-USB3-0-HD-Audio-Jack-Ports-I-O-Board-Internal-Wire/252026608007?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 , the only thing is that it comes in 70 CENTIMETERS!!!! I didn't know cases were big enough for that, so I'm gonna look around a little more too. Not sure on the power button, prolly some vandal switch, need to wire that somehow with no knowledge of soldering at all. PCIe riser is going to be the Thermaltake 200mm version. Finally, I got in touch with a welder and that should be done by next week, which means the prototype will be done then.

Things I need to do:
-cut off 5mm of space on u-shaped cover
-weld
-make pieces for gpu, Front Panel I/o
-power button
-PCIe riser

Pics:

September 28, 2017:

Just want to say that I bought the 2 items that will be put in the case. The Front I/O panel has 2 USB 3.0 and HD Audio. The other is a simple green vandal power switch. If people plan on buying this then there will be a choice of color or they can put their own 16mm power swtich in.

Links:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01EUY63LQ/?tag=theminutiae-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013QSTTUO/?tag=theminutiae-20

October 11, 2017:

Welp. It's been a while since I've posted, but there has been some massive changes done to what's happening. Somethings was that a welding problem, case design, and more things I need to buy. One thing that was wrong was a welding problem. The welder never replied! So I waited for like a week before something happened, and nothing ever came up. He finally replied, but I already changed the case design by that time. So there were a few things that this tragedy good and bad. One pro is that the case design is now weld less. So more screws, but more modular? I guess if it's that is beneficial then there it is. At least I do not have to rely on him anymore. A con is just that the project was delayed 2 weeks. Another thing that has changed is the power switch issue. I bought this power button that was latching and plastic crap. Never again, that's all I have to say, if I'm going to mass produce this I will be using a different power button. And I have already bought a new power button, cables, and a PCIe riser. This is the link to the power switch: https://******/k5mWme , this is the one NFC showed in one of his videos and it looks pretty good, if people have personal preference, I will obviously change it. The cable are just generic $2 dollar power switch cables for soldering and wiring. Personal sleeving might be an option as well, but since I probably don't plan on side panel windows, there shouldn't be a need. Finally the PCIe riser was tough, and I just came down to two choices for the buyer, 3M or LiHeat. If you don't know to much about them 3M is amazing for $90, and LiHeat is decent for $40. It's up to you for deciding.

Links:
Cables:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L31AZIC/?tag=theminutiae-20
PCIe Riser:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075C5QZTW/?tag=theminutiae-20
So here are the big changes:

Decided to flip the whole thing upside down to improve, pretty much everything. It's now a lot easier to cable manage, actually able to work in it, cover panel now isn't upside down. so it's easier to take off.

Obviously as discussed the middle plate now will be screwed, and is detachable not welded.
Parts won't arrive for a long time. Like November, so not going to expect anything for a while. Although I have contacted Lian Li and will trying to make a legit case with them soon.

Last edited:

eggDK

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2016
There's an 'insert image' button where you paste the link.. And it's seems to work best with imgur.

With these dimensions I don't see how you will ever achieve passive cooling, and you also clearly have a fan on the cpu cooler in the renders. That's fine, but we don't call that passive... ;)
Also, what sort of psu are you planning to use? I see the box above the gfx, but I'm not sure what that is..?

Best of luck with getting your case done, I'll look forward to pics of the progress.

Reactions: Biowarejak

drablienad

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Stuff that's new:
-Changed the main panel a little added an extra lip to screw removable panel to so it isn't wombly
- this was just a precaution
-changed metal from Galvanneal to Aluminum
-honestly had no idea why I had it this way before but now changed

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
-1 SSD, 1 HDD

So you mean 2 x 2.5" disk drives?

-Can fit GPU up to EVGA 1060 SSC(173mm)
-was just aiming to fit Gigabyte 1070 mini, it does

Cool, I would suggest to check other ITX GPUs as well. Dimension would be more or less similar, and it would be great if you can include those as well.

Yes, what is that thing on top of the GPU? Looks like a flexATX PSU, but I might be wrong here.

drablienad

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017

Cool, I would suggest to check other ITX GPUs as well. Dimension would be more or less similar, and it would be great if you can include those as well.

Yes, what is that thing on top of the GPU? Looks like a flexATX PSU, but I might be wrong here.

So it will fit an entire 3.5" hard drive, that was my main goal, an M.2, and a 2.5" dive. The reason I put the Gigabyte 1070 is because it's the thickest card with still some length. I just wanted to make sure that the Gigabyte itx cards can fit. The thing on top is an HDPLEX 400W.

drablienad

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
There's an 'insert image' button where you paste the link.. And it's seems to work best with imgur.

With these dimensions I don't see how you will ever achieve passive cooling, and you also clearly have a fan on the cpu cooler in the renders. That's fine, but we don't call that passive... ;)
Also, what sort of psu are you planning to use? I see the box above the gfx, but I'm not sure what that is..?

Best of luck with getting your case done, I'll look forward to pics of the progress.
I changed the passive cooling. Sorry my ignorance got the better of me, I just thought it was no other fans other than gpu CPU. It can fit a HDPLEX 400W

drablienad

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
Changes/Additions:
-made a small detachable bracket that will keep the gpu from sagging because, just having 2 screws holding the card down isn't possible. This should keep most sag from occurring if it doesn't thennnnnnn...
-going to make another bracket that is going to have standoffs for the front I/o. This will hang from the top of the case. Keep in mind both of these additions will require screws to hold in place. If I were to actually produce this to you guys then the I/o would be welded on for less hassle with what is already 34 screws I believe.

drablienad

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
September 27, 2017:

I have now cut out the entire pc case it has all happened. Everything went well other than that the DREMEL bits kept breaking, but that wasn't to bad because I went through all of them. One thing is that I still need to buy 3 things; the PCIe Riser, Front Panel I/O, and power button. I have this in mind for the i/o, http://www.ebay.com/itm/Front-Case-...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649 , the only thing is that it comes in 70 CENTIMETERS!!!! I didn't know cases were big enough for that, so I'm gonna look around a little more too. Not sure on the power button, prolly some vandal switch, need to wire that somehow with no knowledge of soldering at all. PCIe riser is going to be the Thermaltake 200mm version. Finally, I got in touch with a welder and that should be done by next week, which means the prototype will be done then.

Things I need to do:
-cut off 5mm of space on u-shaped cover
-weld
-make pieces for gpu, Front Panel I/o
-power button
-PCIe riser

Reactions: Biowarejak

drablienad

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017

drablienad

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Aug 27, 2017
October 11, 2017:

Welp. It's been a while since I've posted, but there has been some massive changes done to what's happening. Somethings was that a welding problem, case design, and more things I need to buy. One thing that was wrong was a welding problem. The welder never replied! So I waited for like a week before something happened, and nothing ever came up. He finally replied, but I already changed the case design by that time. So there were a few things that this tragedy good and bad. One pro is that the case design is now weld less. So more screws, but more modular? I guess if it's that is beneficial then there it is. At least I do not have to rely on him anymore. A con is just that the project was delayed 2 weeks. Another thing that has changed is the power switch issue. I bought this power button that was latching and plastic crap. Never again, that's all I have to say, if I'm going to mass produce this I will be using a different power button. And I have already bought a new power button, cables, and a PCIe riser. This is the link to the power switch: https://******/k5mWme , this is the one NFC showed in one of his videos and it looks pretty good, if people have personal preference, I will obviously change it. The cable are just generic $2 dollar power switch cables for soldering and wiring. Personal sleeving might be an option as well, but since I probably don't plan on side panel windows, there shouldn't be a need. Finally the PCIe riser was tough, and I just came down to two choices for the buyer, 3M or LiHeat. If you don't know to much about them 3M is amazing for $90, and LiHeat is decent for $40. It's up to you for deciding.

Links:
Cables:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L31AZIC/?tag=theminutiae-20
PCIe Riser:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075C5QZTW/?tag=theminutiae-20
So here are the big changes:

Decided to flip the whole thing upside down to improve, pretty much everything. It's now a lot easier to cable manage, actually able to work in it, cover panel now isn't upside down. so it's easier to take off.

Obviously as discussed the middle plate now will be screwed, and is detachable not welded.
Parts won't arrive for a long time. Like November, so not going to expect anything for a while. Although I have contacted Lian Li and will trying to make a legit case with them soon.

Reactions: yawacool