News Single slot, low profile cards by XFX and ASL

https://videocardz.com/68901/xfx-and-asl-launch-low-profile-graphics-cards

XFX and ASL have revealed low profile versions of the RX 550 and GTX 1050 Ti respectively, and are also single slot. I'm not sure about ASL one coming to North America but at least hoping for XFX's cards. The RX 550 seems like a very promising budget card in particular, though I don't see it being talked about here a lot.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I just received the card and briefly tested it.

The fan is running at full tilt as soon as I land on the Windows 10 login window.

I've updated the Nvidia drivers but it did not help...
Also, HWMonitor is reporting a 0 RPM fan speed.

Any idea ?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have this problem myself. Oddly the fan was quieter before I installed drivers.

After failing to figure out from MSI Afterburner or GPU-Z which don't show proper fan speed, I removed the GPU cover and disconnected the fan plug. And to keep it from overheating I am using a slim 80mm case fan placed right next to the heatsink of the card, using the mobo fan connector.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Thanks for reporting this. Maybe a BIOS issue ?

Anyone speaking Chinese may help us retrieving an updated BIOS ?

EDIT : ASL is referring to the Nvidia drivers v. 388.71 in their download session.
Maybe worth it to install this particular version ?

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Thanks for reporting this. Maybe a BIOS issue ?

Anyone speaking Chinese may help us retrieving an updated BIOS ?

EDIT : ASL is referring to the Nvidia drivers v. 388.71 in their download session.
Maybe worth it to install this particular version ?

I used those drivers, but it didn't change anything with the fan. Bios modding might work, as that can potentially at the least change the default fan speed for the card. I'm gonna try this approach.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I have some good news, I can get my ASL GTX 1050 running on a non-powered riser with a Gigabyte thin ITX board. Bad news is you can't flash Pascal BIOS for a custom one, at least not easily with software-only methods like with previous generation cards.

These new BIOS are checksum validated to prevent unauthorized ones from running (gg NVidia) so unless you use a hardware SPI programmer to write to the pins directly, you're stuck with it.

For now I'll either stick with this fan, or maybe do a hard mod to the fan like soldering a resistor to lower the fan speed.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
While I like backwards compatibility, and I still use DVI-Dual link cable for my 1440p monitor, I have to wonder: why on earth do they use something so bulky as DVI on LP-cards like these? Dual Displayport or DP + HDMI would be so much better. Could perhaps even fit 1x HDMI + 2x DP if really cramming it in there. Is it only because it is cheaper (no license needed) or is there some other reason?

Reactions: Jello and owliwar

tristank

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Apr 21, 2018
Since the fan is 2-pin only, this is indeed the only way to control the speed...
Either a resistor or a potentiometer.

I wish I would have read this thread before buying a used ASL Battle Flag GTX 1050 Ti on ebay without the possiblity to return it. The fan speed is ridiculous loud. I dont have the knowledge for soldering. Is there anything else I can do? Something like a Low-Noise-Adapter which connects between the fan and the GPU board?

I also tested this gpu in a hackintosh system with nvidia web drivers. Still unbearable noisy.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Coincidentally, I just got my two low-noise GPU fan adapters in the mail today after waiting almost a month since ordering them on eBay. I got to try them out and it did reduce the noise enough to be noticeable. It stays below 80 C at load so that's good. Whether or not it's at a comfortable noise level is subjective, but I only did a test run in an open air build. They should be quieter when enclosed in a case.

I had to just remove the tiny screws to remove the top metal plate and install the cable. They're not completely tucked inside and the resistor part will probably stay outside. I'll unscrew the GPU heatsink from the board to slide in the cable where a narrow gap exists between the shroud and board. And then re-apply thermal paste.

These are the exact cables I got. I don't know the total resistance of the cables since the resistors are inside shrink wrap. I'll also try to find other sellers that can ship them even quicker.

ignafiltro

What's an ITX?
Mar 29, 2016
Any updates on the cards and their fans?
Its been quite a while and there is still no attention on this graphics cards. Probably cause AliExpress and Gearbest have been marketing the 1050 and 1050 Ti by the names of G1502 and G1504 respectively. Only recently I saw a card being sold as a 1050 Ti.
Also, ASL just rolled out a low profile, single slot and fanless GT 1030, which should be interesting for small form factor silence enthusiasts (Streacom FC8 anyone?).
Low profile fanless 1030s exist, but they take up two slots (even the Inno3D 0db takes up an extra bit more than 1).
There is also a full profile variant.

Here the ASL G1302 (GT1030): https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ASL...UDR-Core-6008MHz-4090-x-2160/32854184380.html

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I had a passive Gigabyte fanless 1030 and temps were not good in a small non-ventilated case (such as the Streacom FC8) :/

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Has anyone tried driving a 4K monitor with one of these cards? I don't expect to game using the cards, but are they able to drive a desktop at 4K, 120fps?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Low power consumption, runs cool. Equivalent to a 750ti, and SMALL. This is the Small Form Factor forum, so we like sff things.
Eh, slightly slower than a 750ti, with the same VRAM limitations. It is more power efficient though, and I've considered getting one for that reason.