Cooling Silvretta AM4 kit

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Just got this in the post....Available from Alpenphon if you email and ask, as I did.
I intend to try the Silvretta with a Raven Ridge APU , using a Noctua 1600 PWM Redux fan .............If this does not hack it then maybe a Cryorig C7 with that fan ( after trialling the standard fan)
I intend to use the APU in a Realan W80 case, so will need something fairly low profile for cooling, and if the APU comes with a cooler like the CPUs it will probably be a Wraith which will be too tall......

Reactions: Phuncz

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Have you done any testing on the AM4 platform with this cooler?

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Have you done any testing on the AM4 platform with this cooler?

Not yet, my intention is to try it with a Raven Ridge APU when they become available. I realise I could just as well try it now with what I have (R3-1200) but not yet finished with the polishing I want to achieve on the Silvretta heatsink.
Not decided on a fan to mount on it yet either, but feel pretty sure the heatsink side will be up to the job, the letdowns of the Silvretta seem to be: A) The poor finish to the CPU contact face and : B) The fan becoming noisy quite soon into it`s service life.So these are the points I am trying to address.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I noticed the ID-Cooling cpu coolers tend to have issues with the face, two VC-45's i ordered from them both were pretty rough. If you can get an IS-40 v3 with the AM4 mount (i believe its the same mount as the Silvretta, just 4 heat pipe instead of 3) the performance is noticeably better than the IS-40 (non v3).

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
The TDP rating of the Silvretta is way above what I would expect any Raven Ridge to be so the 3 vs 4 heatpipe version performance would not be an issue ( at least for me) but obviously an AM4 CPU may well merit such heatpipe performance consideration.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
The TDP rating of the Silvretta is way above what I would expect any Raven Ridge to be so the 3 vs 4 heatpipe version performance would not be an issue ( at least for me) but obviously an AM4 CPU may well merit such heatpipe performance consideration.

The tdp rating is a pretty worthless number on these cheap cooler. This probably about the level of a stealth spire. The noctua nh-l9a would be a better if you need something more capable.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
FWIW, I used an A8 7600 (45w TDP mode) in the E-W80 and it didn't work out so well. That was with a Silverstone AR-05 that performs about the same as the Silvretta/IS-40. The IS-40 v3 performed more like the AR-06, which wouldn't fit in the E-W80.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
I also ran an A8-7600 in the EW80 but with a Scythe Kotuzi...........Not a good result either, in both TDP modes