Cooling Noctua NF A9 PWM

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Any experience of one of these anyone? I know the colour is puke, the price is exorbitant etc, but I want a 92mm fan for CPU cooling, and this seems to have the best pressure and shifts a decent volume.......
Seeing that Cryorig C7 has dried up at least at a reasonable price, I may as well resurrect the Silvretta and try a better fan on it. I have smoothed out the heatsink face roughness which was a concern to lots of folk and maybe detracted from performance...........I ran it as standard on a G3258 for a few years and always ran cool, but fan started getting noisy.
Case is only 80mm high, so want as low profile as I can get, and I have the Silvretta AM4 mount kit.
Intended build is an X370 with a Ravenridge. Realan EW80 case
Or any alternative cooler suggestions welcome.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Thanks for that..... price is great! But. its not PWM which I would want, its 3 pin.and at 29DBa its at the slightly loud side of what I am aiming for.
I have heard good things about the quality of Yate Loon fans though.Maybe they have something else more suitable in the range......

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for that..... price is great! But. its not PWM which I would want, its 3 pin.and at 29DBa its at the slightly loud side of what I am aiming for.
I have heard good things about the quality of Yate Loon fans though.Maybe they have something else more suitable in the range......

Check if your motherboard has voltage control for CPU.

Dba varies so wildly from manufacturer to manufacturer that I would consider it a moot number.

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
The Noctua fans are a case of you get what you pay for. As much as I love the Noctua Copper/Cream, I understand the disgust others have for the fans :)

Reactions: cmyk78 and MultiDoc

br3nd0

Airflow Optimizer
Sep 29, 2016
I have a couple but haven't tested noise yet.

Would be interested to see your findings on the Yate Loon 92x15mm fan if/when available. Only review I could find was on a 120mm equivalent from like 2008, and back then the only point of difference was the Yate Loon being only slightly noisier. Granted it's 10 years down the track but if those comparisons are similar, could be worth a look for those who just *love* the ugly Noctua colours...

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
As @confusis said, with Noctua you can’t go wrong. Some hate the colour but that’s subjective (ever since I first tried them, many years ago when they first came out, I’ve been only using Noctua in all my builds).
Now onto the subject, may I suggest to have a look at the Noctua redux fans, they are PWM too, usual quality from Noctua and in a neutral colour that some might prefer. Only downside is they have no complementary accessories in their retail packaging as the normal non-redux models which is fine and also reflected on their pricing.

I actually bought three of them myself for my NH-D9L cpu cooler

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
Usually I am quite happy with the range and choice I get from Arctic Cooling and Gelid, as an example, the last fan I got from Arctic ( direct) was a replacement fan for a Freezer 11 LP.cost £2.99 which I fitted to an Asian sub brand basic low profile cooler.........this hybrid has been silently and efficiently cooling a G3258 for quite a while now. This fan spec would be too low for the Ravenridge, but I might try a spare fan from an Alpine Pro 64: for that on a Silvretta heatsink
92mm, PWM,
500>2000 RPM, 45cfm, 0.16Amp, 12 volt, 0.4 sone.
Cannot find any static pressure readings for the Arctics, but cheap enough to experiment with.
The Yate Loon also has no rating for static pressure, which makes me hesitate ...
When I used big ATX boxes, my fallback CPU cooler was always Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro Rev 2.........The cooling was always exemplary, even on a Phenom with 125w TDP. After 2 to 3 years the fans get louder, so send off for a spare, swap fans (easy job on those) and good for a few more years.......But this set up is no good for itx. so still looking for that ideal ITX cpu cooling balance , low profile, efficient cooling, low cost, easy fit and as near silent as possible............and as with the G3258, it will probably be a hybrid again.
Noctua will be a choice of last resort, I always buck against just throwing top money at a solution, the silent properties seem to be a moot point and I am not fond of the colour scheme.I know the Redux is a more conservative colour, but I am unsure about the 1.6 static pressure.
The NF A9 has 2.28 static pressure ( 1.5 with the noise reducer kit)
So still figuring this one out

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
@stree i might have a NF-A9 pwm spare that you can have (for free of course) if I end up not using it. It’s brand new and was on the cooler I just bought and have replaced it with dual NF-A9 reduxs. Still not sure if I’ll need it or not, but if you’re not in a hurry I’ll let you know soon and as I said I’m happy to sent it over instead of leaving it in a box to collect dust.

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Dec 10, 2016
That is really very generous of you, thank you for the offer.
I will gladly take you up on that should it turn out to be excess to your needs.
Thank you.

MultiDoc

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 2, 2018
That is really very generous of you, thank you for the offer.
I will gladly take you up on that should it turn out to be excess to your needs.
Thank you.

@stree I'm almost ready to finally build my Ncase pc (still waiting for the case to come unfortunately), but I;m sure I wont be needing the NF-A9 stree. So PM me your details and I'll drop it in the post for you tomorrow morning.

Cheers.