Discussion SilverStone SST-SX800-LTI v1.2 vs Corsair SF750

Yverson

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 14, 2021
Hey Guys, after waiting for Stock for 3 Month i finally got all my parts together and somehow two PSU's came in Stock at the same time now so i need a little help to decide between those:
- SilverStone SST-SX800-LTI v1.2
- Corsair SF750

Both fit in the Lian Li TU150X to power up my System:
Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4
AMD Ryzen 5 5800X
ASUS ROG Strix X570-I
ASUS TUF GeForce RTX 3090 OC 24GB
4k Monitor LG27GN950-B

Now while browsing both PSU's i find pretty different Information. Both PSU's seem to have had Problems in the past but have had "updates" that sorted those out. The SilverStone PSU is marked as v1.2 by my retailer.
Reviews and Opinions leading me to the point that both PSU's seem to be just fine, but i cant find a direct comparison between those two.
Just considering Noise, not Price, do you guys have any Info's about Noise with/without Load?

Infos i noted so far:
- SS SX800 seems to turn on FAN pretty quick with low load, but instantly turns off when there's no load while SF750 keeps the FAN running longer
- Noise sample here on this side from SX800 showed a "flapping / ticking" sound

i mostly have a (non-noise-cancelling) Over-Ear Headset on and i am not "audiophile"

many thanks in advance and greetings from Lockdown South Germany

Arie

Trash Compacter
Jul 4, 2018
Just considering Noise, not Price, do you guys have any Info's about Noise with/without Load?

Infos i noted so far:
- SS SX800 seems to turn on FAN pretty quick with low load, but instantly turns off when there's no load while SF750 keeps the FAN running longer
- Noise sample here on this side from SX800 showed a "flapping / ticking" sound

I'm reasonably sure I had the SX800 1.2 version, and I would not recommend it. Like you say, it turns on based on load, so short bursty workloads will trigger dramatic changes in fan speed, even when the PSU isn't hot. With a 3090 and 5800x you will be affected by this power-based fan profile.

The SF750 fan profile makes way more sense to me. If you hit it with a combined GPU+CPU load (maximum power) the fans turn on instantly but won't get very loud unless you starve it of airflow. With a more normal gaming workload the fan seems to be mostly temperature controlled, again not very loud.
Like the previous poster, I also like the SF750 cables more.

Reactions: Yverson

Yverson

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 14, 2021
Thanks a lot for your insight.
The hard Part for me is to wait for the delivery of the SF750 while the SX800 is already sitting here :/

SFF Watercooled

Master of Cramming
Sep 26, 2020
Thanks a lot for your insight.
The hard Part for me is to wait for the delivery of the SF750 while the SX800 is already sitting here :/
IMO, you don't have to spend extra money on the SF750 when you already have a pretty good PSU, but if you want the best, you can.

Yverson

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Jan 14, 2021
So after i build everything together i gotta day the smooth cables of the corsair are pretty nice and important in my small lian li tu150
In Idle the Fan is Not spinning and under load i dont notice the corsair when the 6 noctua + gpu are spinning.

The much bigger Problem is/was the Chipset Fan from the Asus rog x570-i.
In Idle up to 5900 RPM with a High frequency not really pleasing. My gf said she would not Mind at a Quick "test" But sitting there with Headset and watching Netflix this Thing got annoying.
Lucky there is an active BIOS Modder Szene bcause otherwise u cant Controll this Fan on this motherboard Model...
Now everything runs smooth :)

I got my Money back for the untestet SilverStone sx-800, otherwise i would have used that i guess.
Here's a link to a SilverStone User reddit:

And a link to the bios mod although its a german forum: