Enclosure SilverStone SG13 V2

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
After looking and looking and looking, I think I decided that I want to build a PC in the SilverStone SG13 V2

I did a search on the forum and it doesn't look like a lot of people on the forum have built in this case, which is surprising. I will need to piece this together slowly over time. The Next purchase will probably be PSU, then the Ram, then B550 Motherboard, Storage. The idea is to have everything ready for the Ryzen 4000 and new GPU release this fall; Maybe put in a cheap APU I can re-purpose as a place holder...

Anyone have any tips? It says it supports an ATX power supply but am I better off with a SFF PSU?

(I'm well aware that the CPU and GPU are the most expensive parts but coming out of pocket for $1000 for the CPU/GPU after piecing the best MoBo, Ram, Case, PSU, Storage for the planned build just makes it easier. Plus I can wait for things to come into stock and/or go on sale ;)

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
It's actually a pretty popular case it just might not be posted as much on these forums because there is a lot of focus on the more niche cases. The SG13 is an updated SG05 which is 11 years old now, so there are a lot of people can offer you experience :)

I have an SG13B that I built in and used for several years. I don't know what the version difference is, externally it looks identical.

SG13 supports ATX but I'd highly recommend SFX, it gives you a lot more room for CPU cooler, cables, and airflow. You'll need an adapter bracket if your SFX power supply didn't come with one. I'd recommend an SFX to ATX bracket similar to this

Reactions: ShamedGod

Popstar

Chassis Packer
Feb 13, 2016
I have an SG13 build I put together with some older/spare components. I agree with what NateDawg says about using an SFX PSU. It will give you more room for your cooler and better airflow.

Another thing some people building in the case do is add a slim fan as exhaust where the side vent is with zip ties or double-sided tape. I haven't needed this myself but a search for "sg13 exhaust fan" should give you some images.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
I believe the difference between V1 and V2 is the mesh front panel, but I didn't find a clear answer. Looks like V2 has been out for many years.

- SFF PSU
- SG-13 Exhaust fan mod

Excellent ? Thank You!

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
I think the SG13 has always had mesh front options. V2 must be something subtle because they didn't make any announcements about a V2, it looks like it was introduced quietly.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
The SG13 is a great starter SFF case. My wife's PC is in an SG13, and she loves it. The case is cheap, with good airflow, and good compatibility.

SFX Power Supply is a must if you aren't using a 120mm AIO (which you shouldn't). Air-cooling is the way to go in this case in my opinion. SFX PSU gives you enough clearance for a Noctua NH-L12S or even some slightly larger coolers, and GPU compatibility is pretty good, you can fit 2.25 slot cards with little trouble, just the thicker the card the less long it can be as there's a little hole in the front mesh support structure that allows longer video cards to pass into the front of the case. You can also fit pretty tall GPUs in it, just again they can't be very long. Something like the 5700 XT Pulse from Sapphire I think is a good fit for the case.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
The SG13 is a great starter SFF case. My wife's PC is in an SG13, and she loves it. The case is cheap, with good airflow, and good compatibility.

SFX Power Supply is a must if you aren't using a 120mm AIO (which you shouldn't). Air-cooling is the way to go in this case in my opinion. SFX PSU gives you enough clearance for a Noctua NH-L12S or even some slightly larger coolers, and GPU compatibility is pretty good, you can fit 2.25 slot cards with little trouble, just the thicker the card the less long it can be as there's a little hole in the front mesh support structure that allows longer video cards to pass into the front of the case. You can also fit pretty tall GPUs in it, just again they can't be very long. Something like the 5700 XT Pulse from Sapphire I think is a good fit for the case.

So you're saying no custom water loop ?

For real though, I was looking at:

NZXT H1
NZXT H200/H210
Cooler Master elite 130
Fractal Design 500
And more...

The SG13 seemed like it offered the smallest package, with enough air flow to avoid throttling, and high part compatibly.

I just assumed I would need to use the Noctua NH-L9A. Real world with a SFF PSU am I looking at a Max height of 100MM? 120MM? Would the Noctua NH-L12S be the best or would the Noctua C14S fit?

Never occurred to me something more then a 65W CPU and Noctua NH-L9A would work well, or be possible, in that tiny case :/

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
The official CPU cooler height is 61mm, but that's with an ATX power supply. According to this SFFn thread, you should get an additional 21 mm of cooler clearance by going with an SFX PSU, which gives you 82mm of height. That's plenty for the L12S but not nearly enough for the C14S.

However...

The SG13 is one of the most commonly modded cases. Why? It's a giant empty box, meaning you can move stuff all over the place, and its so cheap and available people aren't worried about modding it and ruining their $250 boutique case they had to wait 4 months to get. A common mod is to move an SFX PSU to the front of the case, use a passthrough power extension, and then you have WAY more height for CPU coolers. This person even did it with a full size ATX PSU. The case is 181mm tall so take off 20mm for motherboard and panel thickness and you could fit a Noctua D15S in the thing (maybe, just speculating).

So the answer is you can do almost anything with the case, if you're willing to mess with it. Some people have even cut the case down the middle and removed a huge chunk of it to make it more of a cube.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
The official CPU cooler height is 61mm, but that's with an ATX power supply. According to this SFFn thread, you should get an additional 21 mm of cooler clearance by going with an SFX PSU, which gives you 82mm of height. That's plenty for the L12S but not nearly enough for the C14S.

However...

The SG13 is one of the most commonly modded cases. Why? It's a giant empty box, meaning you can move stuff all over the place, and its so cheap and available people aren't worried about modding it and ruining their $250 boutique case they had to wait 4 months to get. A common mod is to move an SFX PSU to the front of the case, use a passthrough power extension, and then you have WAY more height for CPU coolers. This person even did it with a full size ATX PSU. The case is 181mm tall so take off 20mm for motherboard and panel thickness and you could fit a Noctua D15S in the thing (maybe, just speculating).

So the answer is you can do almost anything with the case, if you're willing to mess with it. Some people have even cut the case down the middle and removed a huge chunk of it to make it more of a cube.

Sweet! Working with 80MM makes a big difference :) Thanks for the heads up.

rocklobster

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 30, 2018
Hi, didn't find a thread dedicated to this case so I thought I would try my luck here.

I built a SG13 a 140mm ATX PSU (exhaust) and H80i V2 AIO. Works fine but the hoses are very stiff and are pressing up against the PSU, causing it to be slightly tilted. Depending when my replacement cables come in I will repack this sucker, but does anyone have any advice on dealing with the AIO hoses?Like having mounting the radiator a certain orientation or coiling the hoses around the water block?