Silverstone ML08B-H VR Workstation

Iraytrace

Case Bender
Original poster
Feb 23, 2018
We just did an interesting build. The goal was to create a portable VR workstation. It has to run both simulation codes and do VR visualization simultaneously. I wanted it to be small and easy to transport. It also needs to look innocuous and un-intimidating. The laptops we looked at were all either a bit weak or lacking ports.

So the build includes:
· ASRock - X299E-ITX/ac Mini ITX
· Intel - Core i9-7940X 3.1GHz
· Scythe - BIG Shuriken 2 Rev. B 45.5 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
· Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB Founders Edition Video Card
· Silverstone - ML08B-H HTPC Case
· Corsair - SF 600W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular SFX Power Supply

We specifically chose a blower GPU to manage heat removal.

This build presented some challenges. The ASRock X299E is quite dense. Just about every millimeter of surface is occupied. Mounting the Shuriken is where we run into challenges. You have to leave the RAM out so you can get to the screws for attaching the cooler to the motherboard. After securing the cooler, there is barely clearance to get the memory in afterwards under the edges of the cooler. We could have gone with a smaller cooler but there were mixed reviews as to whether the other choices could really cool the i9, and they were all rated as louder. We have found that the Shuriken keeps the i9 under 90 Celsius even under full load.

Two issues have caused us to give up the front panel USB ports for now. First, the heat pipes of the Shuriken overhang the USB 3 header on the riser card on the front of the motherboard. Even with the Shuiken removed, the USB3 header cable sticks up too high to allow the case to close. For reference in the picture below, the top of the Shuriken is just barely inside the case behind the vent holes when the case is closed. We are looking for special cabling to enable connecting the front ports. Any suggestions would be welcome.

The mounting of the power supply is unique. Silverstone provides a cord that provides a connector on the back of the case which runs through the case to attach to the power supply on the inside. The PSU switch is not externally accessible. We learned that the spacer under the PSU is not really adequate to allow the PSU to breathe. It must be mounted to draw outside air directly through the case vents. In addition, the exhaust is though the bottom so if you are standing the case upright, so you have to be careful to use the brackets to keep it off the floor / desk to allow the PSU to exhale.

This could be improved somewhat by cutting some vents in the sides in this cavity to allow the case to exhaust to the side(s).

I am pleased with build overall. This is much easier to pick up and take someplace than a full tower workstation. It has the quantity of ports (USB, HDMI) to run the VR, and the graphics horsepower to respectably drive a couple monitors for spectators to watch in addition to the VR headset. Finally, the i9 brings the compute horsepower in spades.

Reactions: Phuncz and Kooki

Iraytrace

Case Bender
Original poster
Feb 23, 2018
You could use something like this for your usb 3.0.

Yes, that looked interesting. Alas, it is probably still too tall. The heat pipes are really close. I am looking at this:

I am also considering an alternate cooler. The Asetek 545lc seemed attractive but they are out of stock. Maybe I could sneak in the 550LC and mount it to the case side? The ID-Cooling IS-VC45 looks like it would sit down in the space available. The downside is that its noise floor is 4.7db louder than the Shuriken and the reviews I have seen weren't positive. It makes me wonder: how are other people cooling a Core-i9?

KDC

Caliper Novice
Dec 29, 2017
Yes, that looked interesting. Alas, it is probably still too tall. The heat pipes are really close. I am looking at this:

I am also considering an alternate cooler. The Asetek 545lc seemed attractive but they are out of stock. Maybe I could sneak in the 550LC and mount it to the case side? The ID-Cooling IS-VC45 looks like it would sit down in the space available. The downside is that its noise floor is 4.7db louder than the Shuriken and the reviews I have seen weren't positive. It makes me wonder: how are other people cooling a Core-i9?
I am using the Dynatron R15 full copper + a 92 mm noctua on my 7900x (delidded) for now. You can see my temps and setup on my buildlog thread here.