Power Supply Silverstone Extreme 850R Platinum SFX

Barracuda727

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 27, 2018
ok so on 1 pcie connector we have 2 pieces 6+2 pin and we got another one 1pcie(2x6+2pin)
so actually we have 2 cables and on each 2x8 pin so 4x8 pin all or ....

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
ok so on 1 pcie connector we have 2 pieces 6+2 pin and we got another one 1pcie(2x6+2pin)
so actually we have 2 cables and on each 2x8 pin so 4x8 pin all or ....
The PSU comes with a single cable with 2 - 6+2 connectors on the end. The kit I have above comes 2 cables with a single 6+2 on each end. So technically you could have up to 4, 8 pins with cable kit.

Reactions: Barracuda727

Barracuda727

Average Stuffer
Original poster
May 27, 2018
does something like this works on this SILVERSTONE psu if we wanna connect rtx 4080

I know that this PSU has 450 w 12VHPWR 16 pin connector, but rtx doesnt pull more than 400-420W in full load, so tehnically this will work I think

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
This morning I did a small test the SFX cable kit 24 Pin with this PSU and it does indeed kick the PSU on when shorted. Will have to test the other cables (SATA/molex/pci) later.

I'll look and see what the differences are with the EPS connector, probably just pin out, but maybe there's more to it than that.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
So this 450W limit on 12VHPWR on this an other 850W PSUs... WHY??

The reason behind it lies in the specification requirements that define it. Within the specification for the PSU has to be able to handle 3x this wattage for spikes and transients. ie 1350W! So the PSU Design needs to be able deal with that without without going into OPP mode and shutting down. for 600W it needs to cope with 18000W. which then requires more costly components and invariably is put it into the more costly and often SFX-L 1000W+ models.

However, as pointed out to a PSU designer, this is very easily bypassed by simply tying the 2 active low pins on the side band to ground indicating to the attached card so that 600W power is available and or by simply running from traditional PCI-E adapters with a similar setup for 2 relevant control lines that indicate to the GPU that max power that can be pulled.

So my question is what do people want. Would you like an 850W SFX Platinum PSU with true direct 12VHPWR connection that has the full 600W unlocked? (not an issue for the connector, or cable 16awg) allowing up to x2.25 power spikes/transients before any chance of OPP shutdown? Or play it safe and follow specs.

40 series cards are supposed to have less spiking power load issues and transients that on occasion could trouble some ATX PSU's. So specs were beefed up and cards improved. In a sense allowing the full 600W could be a bit like Over Clocking, there might be the rare occasion that it causes a PSU shutdown if it goes OPP. But the ability remains to be able to switch your GPU down via s/w to 450W if your unlucky. For the most part I suspect it would be fine and dandy.

My personal opinion is that I suspect the specs are a little overkill and air on the side of caution to guaranteed no surprise shutdowns during gaming etc.

Please do let me know your thoughts as I have a decision to make on this matter now.

Thanks

-Edit
Here's a bit from PCI-SIG on the matter. Worth bearing in mind that PCI-SIG will talk from a perspective that's very much in the interest of its members to help new PSU sales
PCI-SIG related article.

From an SFF perspective 12VHPWR does represent a nice clean single cable and connector power for GPU

Last edited:

ScottSimply

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 15, 2021

The reason behind it lies in the specification requirements that define it. Within the specification for the PSU has to be able to handle 3x this wattage for spikes and transients. ie 1350W! So the PSU Design needs to be able deal with that without without going into OPP mode and shutting down. for 600W it needs to cope with 18000W. which then requires more costly components and invariably is put it into the more costly and often SFX-L 1000W+ models.

However, as pointed out to a PSU designer, this is very easily bypassed by simply tying the 2 active low pins on the side band to ground indicating to the attached card so that 600W power is available and or by simply running from traditional PCI-E adapters with a similar setup for 2 relevant control lines that indicate to the GPU that max power that can be pulled.

So my question is what do people want. Would you like an 850W SFX Platinum PSU with true direct 12VHPWR connection that has the full 600W unlocked? (not an issue for the connector, or cable 16awg) allowing up to x2.25 power spikes/transients before any chance of OPP shutdown? Or play it safe and follow specs.

40 series cards are supposed to have less spiking power load issues and transients that on occasion could trouble some ATX PSU's. So specs were beefed up and cards improved. In a sense allowing the full 600W could be a bit like Over Clocking, there might be the rare occasion that it causes a PSU shutdown if it goes OPP. But the ability remains to be able to switch your GPU down via s/w to 450W if your unlucky. For the most part I suspect it would be fine and dandy.

My personal opinion is that I suspect the specs are a little overkill and air on the side of caution to guaranteed no surprise shutdowns during gaming etc.

Please do let me know your thoughts as I have a decision to make on this matter now.

Thanks

-Edit
Here's a bit from PCI-SIG on the matter. Worth bearing in mind that PCI-SIG will talk from a perspective that's very much in the interest of its members to help new PSU sales
PCI-SIG related article.

From an SFF perspective 12VHPWR does represent a nice clean single cable and connector power for GPU
For most users the ATX 3.0 specs are absolute overkill, and they would prefer a 600W 12vhpwr connector on a 850W PSU. However that does mean the PSU does not meet the full ATX 3.0 specs, and that's a loss marketing might not appreciate.
Personally I prefer not having 12vhpwr on the PSU side at all, just provide a 2 PSU 8 pin to 12vhpwr connector, the other 2 sense lines are unused at the moment anyways.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
For most users the ATX 3.0 specs are absolute overkill, and they would prefer a 600W 12vhpwr connector on a 850W PSU. However that does mean the PSU does not meet the full ATX 3.0 specs, and that's a loss marketing might not appreciate.
Personally I prefer not having 12vhpwr on the PSU side at all, just provide a 2 PSU 8 pin to 12vhpwr connector, the other 2 sense lines are unused at the moment anyways.
Indeed as far as i know that is the case, but to be honest, on our engineering sample, I've yet to look at the pcb routing for the pinout on the psu connector block. At the moment this has a 12vhwpr connector and 2 PCI-e connectors wtih dual 6+2pin connectors on 2 cable runs, 4 pci-e connectors in total. Which will cover all bases.

Design engineers are waiting on some better fan samples for FDB rather than an old Dual ball fan that's been stock inventory for them for years.

As for marketing, that's not really a concern. Good to do something different and be a bit disruptive, alas I'm only a tiny thorn and of little concern to the big lot.

hrh_ginsterbusch

Master of Cramming
Nov 18, 2021
wp-devil.com
Some more thoughts as I put my build together:

-The cables for this unit are SO stiff,I thought they were watching Salma Hayek dance in From Dusk til Dawn.
-The cables are closer in length to their SFX cable kit than their stock cables. The 24 pin for example is roughly 25mm longer than the SFX kit.
-There's no straight SATA connectors. They're all 90 degrees. Why. Why?! Swap one of the two cables for one that has straight connectors on it, please, Silverstone.
-There's a floppy connector on the end of the molex 4 pin cable. I'm curious if there's a single device that anyone out there uses this connector for in the day and age. If anyone knows, leave a comment and don't forget to hit the like button and subscribe for any new cont... Oh, I'm not a YouTuber. Nevermind.

Stiff, nasty cables .. wild guess: FSP is the OEM behind, not SeaSonic?
Those remind me the hardest of the FSP 850 Pro I just got (and HATE its awfully rigid, nasty, Capn El-Cheapo cables!).

cu, w0lf.

prayogahs

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 21, 2019
Stiff, nasty cables .. wild guess: FSP is the OEM behind, not SeaSonic?
Those remind me the hardest of the FSP 850 Pro I just got (and HATE its awfully rigid, nasty, Capn El-Cheapo cables!).

cu, w0lf.

Nope its High Power / Sirfa as I have mentioned in the post below
The OEM is not Enhance but High Power / Sirfa. The details can be seen in the Cybenetics Test Report including noise levels which are impressive for a 850W unit and challenges the great Corsair SF750 Platinum https://www.cybenetics.com/d/cybenetics_fKO.pdf

Reactions: hrh_ginsterbusch

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
There have been multiple 850W PSUs suddenly pop up. Anyone know if they're the same manufacturer as Silverstone?

These two seem to be the same OEM manufacturer, but not sure who. They also claim 100% Japanese Capacitors, but I have no idea how legit it is.

Edit: there's a specification and ripple and efficiency testing of the Apexgaming PSU https://www.coolpc.com.tw/tw/shop/man-power/apexgaming-sfx-850mw/

Last edited:

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
There have been multiple 850W PSUs suddenly pop up. Anyone know if they're the same manufacturer as Silverstone?

These two seem to be the same OEM manufacturer, but not sure who. They also claim 100% Japanese Capacitors, but I have no idea how legit it is.

Edit: there's a specification and ripple and efficiency testing of the Apexgaming PSU https://www.coolpc.com.tw/tw/shop/man-power/apexgaming-sfx-850mw/
probably not. neither are on any published 80plus certifications database, although that testing in TW looks through. Also using dual ball fan rather than Fdb, noisier.

Plus no 12vhpwr connector so not any chance of ATX3.0 compliance. A little easier circuit design wise as you don't have to design for power spikes 3x your 12vhpwr rating. ie 1350W for 450W or 1800W for 600W.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Ugh, so, I have an issue here. I removed the sense pins on the 16pin high power cable as my 3080FE doesn't use those. If I plug my GPU in, the PSU will kick on but powers nothing. If I unplug the GPU, everything else kicks on. So obviously this PSU needs the sense wires, otherwise it won't work.

My question is, if I replace the sense wires, will the GPU work, or am I gonna have to go back to the regular PCI power cables with the NVidia adapter since there's no sense pins on the GPU?

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Have you tried grounding the 2 sense wires?
No, I haven't, but I'm so tired and have been trying to get this build up and going for weeks so I just slapped in the standard PCIE cable and NVidia adapter and am calling it a day.

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
No, I haven't, but I'm so tired and have been trying to get this build up and going for weeks so I just slapped in the standard PCIE cable and NVidia adapter and am calling it a day.
ok,

I'll be looking a bit at my engineering sample in the coming week, not the same psu but the function is probably standardised by the spec. I'll see what effect a load on the connector has with both sense lines open, as you had it. I think its a fail condition if both open but will see whats what on that and update.

generalguy

Efficiency Noob
Nov 20, 2018

Thanks

-Edit
PCI-SIG related article.

PCI-SIG does not care about PSU vendors. They make the protocol specs and they mostly represent CPU vendors and add-in card makers and such.

That said 450W is more than enough for a 4090. If you need more and don't care about the PSU's OCP tripping, bridge the pins. 600W is within the 850W envelope but maybe not with an OC'd system.

The 3x excursion thing is stupid, any IC requesting that kind of transient needs better decoupling, not a gigantic bank of capacitors. Nvidia cleaned up their act for 40-series.

mouacyk

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Feb 20, 2022
Too many compromises in this unit. Otherwise, good quality and compact, would certainly need custom cabling. Hopefully, they improve it a lot in version 2.0.

XNine

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 11, 2022
Too many compromises in this unit. Otherwise, good quality and compact, would certainly need custom cabling. Hopefully, they improve it a lot in version 2.0.
I mean, the only real downside I've found is the stiff ass cables. It's 2022, these shouldn't even exist, especially in a unit that's (now) going for like $280.

However, I've found it to be pretty competent in acting as a PSU. The fan is extremely quiet, I don't hear it over anything else, in fact the only time I hear it is when my system turns off and it stays on to cool off the PSU, but it's like a gentle whisper. I don't have any coil wine.
In my rig it's powering an Aquaero 6 LT, 4 fans, 1 DDC pump, a USB hub and the 3 devices on it, Mobo, Intel 10900K, and Nvidia 3080FE without a sweat.