Show your new toys Topic

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's always fun to see what people are getting for their hobbies and why !
My product photography interest might have something to do with this too, although you shouldn't expect high quality pictures from me just yet.

Kick off:

Fluke 62 MAX + IR Thermometer (-30° - 650°C)

Why ? Barbecue. And to temp-measure random stuff.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If it's a Fluke you know it's good quality, if only they weren't so expensive.

Collecting metrology equipment is an expensive hobby, luckily I have an good excuse now to purchase test equipment :p

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's quite OK price-wise. Not as yowza-expensive as the FLIR cameras though. The insane thing about this is that it runs on a single AA battery :eek:
Did I mention it has dual laz0rs ?

Last edited:

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I don't get the rotate part, do they sweep back and forth to show the measuring area?

Single AA is convenient, my Amprobe TMD-52 thermocouple thermometer takes 4 AAA which is annoying. BTW, if you're looking at a Fluke and the price is too much, check out Amprobe. They're both owned by the same company, Amprobe is the "affordable" brand but still good quality.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Thx for the tip !

The "rotating" lasers mean that the two dots both rotate counter-clockwise the further you aim it. I guess it's meant to indicate the minimum and maximum ranges of measuring distance. After googling, I've also found it has adjustable EMS, which means it can factor in different emissivity, which matters when you want to accurately want to measure certain materials or deal with difficult to "read" materials like translucent or rough materials. http://www.optotherm.com/emiss-table.htm
Too bad "steak" is not in that list...

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Emissivity is usually only a problem with shiny metals. Something carbon based like a steak should have an emissivity close to 1.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Good weather, so the BBQ was fired up ! It did indeed have a problem with the shiny polished stainless steel outer shell (-1°C while it was sitting in the sun with 25°C ambient), but it measured realistic results for all the other stuff I aimed it at. Nice.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015

First shipment arrived with my new camera gear !

Sony A6000 with 16-50mm kit lens
Sony Screen Protector for A6000
Think Tank Mirrorless Mover 20

I still have a lens or two incoming, as well as a 64GB SDXC card (for high-bitrate video support).

The Sony screen protector and the Think Tank Mover 20 bag are both very nice accessories, I can highly recommend both !

Reactions: jeshikat

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Always fun getting new camera equipment :)

Screen protector and bag are one of those relatively cheap things that are just so nice to have.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I'm very happy with this bag, I never thought a camera bag could be this well thought out. I've probably talked more about the bag to my friends than the camera itself.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Another camera accessory, a "macro" tripod:

Isn't it cute ? Will be handy for product shots on a table.

Reactions: jeshikat

jeshikat

Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Nice! I like my Manfrotto tripod but it's pretty bulky and heavy for just taking photos of small objects.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
While mine is useless for eye-level photography :) Maybe someday we'll use drones as tripod replacements !

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
16 GB DDR2 FB ECC, kind of old school but it will breath new life into my workstation

Reactions: el01

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
Original poster
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have 8GB (4x 2GB) in my Core 2 Extreme QX6850 test PC, it also helped with long-term useability.
That RAM is also useful for older HP or Dell rackservers if you someday need to get rid of it :)