CPU Should I upgrade from my 4790K or keep it?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey! I'm new here,

I've been poking around on reddit mostly and finding out about gems here and there...

The long story short is that I'd like to migrate my daily driver 'gaming' computer into a small form factor that I can more easily transport to and from LAN parties. Ideally, it would be able to fit in my backpack with an appropriately sized monitor and my peripherals.

I'm working with pretty old hardware here and there hasn't been much incentive to upgrade. We're getting to the point where I am missing out on features and I'm lagging behind on thermals for sticking with my 4790K, though...

The simplest question I come to you folks with is, "Are there any SFF cases that can properly cool my 4790K and Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Edition (regular, not Ti) and fit into my bag?" I'm struggling to find a lot of good info about my CPU specifically, especially in these fancy new cases that are shown around here.

If you're interested in helping me more thoroughly with my situation, the hardware I currently have available is:

• Intel i7-4790K
  • 2 x Intel e5-2670 (v1) and a motherboard that houses both.
  • Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Edition
  • 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1600 non ECC RAM
  • a few cheap SSDs ranging from 120GB to I think I may have a 480GB.
  • a few HDDs ranging from 2TB to 3TB.
I'm currently running a system with the two e5-2670's but am looking to move back to the 4790K as it's superior (faster) for daily tasks and I don't need the 32 threads I was planning on using. The HDDs and SSDs are all in this system, but I'm hoping to migrate them over to a HTPC/NAS.

I'm in an awkward situation where I could probably sell a lot of my hardware and put it towards a better new system (or two better new systems), but the better new system would be only marginally better in most ways and I'd have to do without a computer at home for a while once I started selling hardware.

Upgrading the 4790K would mostly be a thermal/efficiency upgrade rather than a performance upgrade but it would let me get onto a newer platform with support for M.2 drives and whatnot. Upgrading my 980 would let me get a SFF 1060 or 1070 that could fit into a smaller enclosure... I do already need to get a mITX case and a new cooler and a new motherboard... I don't know how to figure out what's the best value if I do choose to upgrade.

Reactions: Phuncz

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Hey! I'm new here,

I've been poking around on reddit mostly and finding out about gems here and there...

The long story short is that I'd like to migrate my daily driver 'gaming' computer into a small form factor that I can more easily transport to and from LAN parties. Ideally, it would be able to fit in my backpack with an appropriately sized monitor and my peripherals.

I'm working with pretty old hardware here and there hasn't been much incentive to upgrade. We're getting to the point where I am missing out on features and I'm lagging behind on thermals for sticking with my 4790K, though...

The simplest question I come to you folks with is, "Are there any SFF cases that can properly cool my 4790K and Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Edition (regular, not Ti) and fit into my bag?" I'm struggling to find a lot of good info about my CPU specifically, especially in these fancy new cases that are shown around here.

If you're interested in helping me more thoroughly with my situation, the hardware I currently have available is:

• Intel i7-4790K
  • 2 x Intel e5-2670 (v1) and a motherboard that houses both.
  • Zotac GTX 980 Amp! Edition
  • 32GB (4 x 8GB) 1600 non ECC RAM
  • a few cheap SSDs ranging from 120GB to I think I may have a 480GB.
  • a few HDDs ranging from 2TB to 3TB.
I'm currently running a system with the two e5-2670's but am looking to move back to the 4790K as it's superior (faster) for daily tasks and I don't need the 32 threads I was planning on using. The HDDs and SSDs are all in this system, but I'm hoping to migrate them over to a HTPC/NAS.

I'm in an awkward situation where I could probably sell a lot of my hardware and put it towards a better new system (or two better new systems), but the better new system would be only marginally better in most ways and I'd have to do without a computer at home for a while once I started selling hardware.

Upgrading the 4790K would mostly be a thermal/efficiency upgrade rather than a performance upgrade but it would let me get onto a newer platform with support for M.2 drives and whatnot. Upgrading my 980 would let me get a SFF 1060 or 1070 that could fit into a smaller enclosure... I do already need to get a mITX case and a new cooler and a new motherboard... I don't know how to figure out what's the best value if I do choose to upgrade.

The only upgrade you can get nowadays CPU-wise is getting more threads. Since you have i7 already, then there isn't an upgrade for you. Thermal and power efficiency barely improved. If you want to upgrade to better thermals/efficiency then you'd have to get a T-series chip, which is low-voltage.

I think you should sell your hardware and move to a singular ITX + HTPC platform. Most of the cooling issues are due to overclocks or running thermal burn test (which are unrealistic). Actual usage, unless you get a T-series, the power savings of newer chips aren't that much.

For your 980, it depends on your case of choice. If the case you choose has good cooling, then you can keep it until you feel the need to upgrade. If the case you really like is smaller, then a 1060 side-grade will be best for you. The Dan A4 SFX can handle a 980 easily, the new Sentry does okay (maybe if you lower the power-limits). ETC.

I think you should pick the case you really like first, and then work backwards from there. An S4 mini will require a new mobo/chip, etc.

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks for the feedback!

So, I definitely appreciate that ditching the 4790K lets me migrate to a newer chipset and a lower TDP. I probably wouldn't have to choose between two Ethernet ports and a M.2 slot with a newer chipset!

Having to make a swap sounds pretty expensive, though. It looks like I can score a motherboard for around ~$200 (should be less) where as it seems like I'd be looking at that plus ~$300 for a higher-end T series processor. It seems like I can expect to move a 4790K quickly around ~$250 (some have sold close to $300)... Maybe I'm just hesitant because of the ordeal involved.

...Is it feasible to undervolt my 4790K and have it run cooler and closer to a T-series chip? Would stock thermals even necessarily be a problem?

I'm interested in the S4 Mini above other cases at this point, I think... so the 980 does need to go for that to happen. I've been interested in the 1060, but I've been told it's 'technically' a downgrade so I've been considering the 1070. The sentry is tempting, but going all the way down to ~4 Liters sounds so convenient.

Reactions: CXH4

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks for the feedback!

So, I definitely appreciate that ditching the 4790K lets me migrate to a newer chipset and a lower TDP. I probably wouldn't have to choose between two Ethernet ports and a M.2 slot with a newer chipset!

Having to make a swap sounds pretty expensive, though. It looks like I can score a motherboard for around ~$200 (should be less) where as it seems like I'd be looking at that plus ~$300 for a higher-end T series processor. It seems like I can expect to move a 4790K quickly around ~$250 (some have sold close to $300)... Maybe I'm just hesitant because of the ordeal involved.

...Is it feasible to undervolt my 4790K and have it run cooler and closer to a T-series chip? Would stock thermals even necessarily be a problem?

I'm interested in the S4 Mini above other cases at this point, I think... so the 980 does need to go for that to happen. I've been interested in the 1060, but I've been told it's 'technically' a downgrade so I've been considering the 1070. The sentry is tempting, but going all the way down to ~4 Liters sounds so convenient.

If you would like to keep your 4790K you could do so, even if you were to move your build into a 4 liter chassis such as the S4. You would of course have to undervolt to reduce the heat output, perhaps even underclock; if you don't mind doing either of those, then you could get the thermals of a T variant with the ability to push the clock speed higher, also I believe it would be very well worth it for portability. As for the GPU, you would need something smaller and more power efficient such as a 1060 in order to fit into an S4, as well as a mini itx board which would be around a ~$300 purchase. I have a similar build, except I am not sporting a K variant CPU. The i7 6700 undervolted and underclocked to 3Ghz + a GTX 1060 set to 90% power consumption for me runs at ~140 Watts. As for thermals, the GPU stays below 70C as well as the CPU. Hope this helps!

Reactions: zovc and Thehack

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks CXH4, what kind of case/cooler is your build in right now? How does your underclocked (is that the right term?) 1060 do in games you play?

I suppose I have a bit of time while I'm waiting for whatever case I end up going with. If I find a tremendous deal one way or the other I might get pushed in a direction. I think I'll try casting the net a few places for an aggressively priced 1150 motherboard Z97 ITX motherboard, since that's the 'easiest' upgrade path. If no one bites and I don't find a better deal, I'll be saving up for when I actually have a case!

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Another question is what resolution do you game at? 1050Ti - 1060 maxes out 1080p on most games. If you aren't using a 1440p/4k display it is all excess.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Another question is what resolution do you game at? 1050Ti - 1060 maxes out 1080p on most games. If you aren't using a 1440p/4k display it is all excess.

I do the majority of my gaming at 1080p, I only have 1920x1080 monitors but I do have three of them. From my testing, they support oversampling to 4K. My 980 impressed me by being able to run games at those resolutions but it was difficult for it. I can't say I'll do a lot of gaming at ultrawide or oversampled (I do a lot of streaming to my TV) but I'd like to play with it more.

A 1070 is probably overkill, but I'd like to be able to max out AAA titles in 1080 on my TV and not dip below 60fps. I'm not confident enough in the 1060 and my experience with the 980 is that it's solid and always playable, but it does drop below 60fps.

CXH4

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 18, 2016
Thanks CXH4, what kind of case/cooler is your build in right now? How does your underclocked (is that the right term?) 1060 do in games you play?

I suppose I have a bit of time while I'm waiting for whatever case I end up going with. If I find a tremendous deal one way or the other I might get pushed in a direction. I think I'll try casting the net a few places for an aggressively priced 1150 motherboard Z97 ITX motherboard, since that's the 'easiest' upgrade path. If no one bites and I don't find a better deal, I'll be saving up for when I actually have a case!

In games like Fallout 4, GTAV, League of Legends, CS:GO, and even for emulation. It runs like a charm with the 1060, even at 90%. You can have the quality set to high in 1080p in most titles and get a stable 60 FPS or more. The cooler I have is a low profile Silverstone NT07-115X, which is more than sufficient for what I want; it's not too loud when I'm not wearing headphones, but if noise is an issue I heard the Noctua low profile cooler is pretty quiet. I originally had it in a Logicsupply case, but I moved it into the S4 Mini recently, but my PC has been out of commission so I don't have any up-to-date benchmarks, but because it's well ventilated I'm more than positive the temperatures will be lower.

Also, I would recommend the S4 if portability is the focus; it was with me and I'm really happy with the quality and the size. It makes it easier to travel with, and in my opinion it's absolutely beautiful and more than worth it.

Lastly, I would recommend waiting a bit in terms of hardware. I believe your 4790K will last you a good while before the next wave of CPUs. With the GPU, there could potentially be a refresh on some offerings from NVIDIA, and new offerings from AMD that could provide better performance per watt to the 980, but in a small form factor. That is if you plan on purchasing a GPU soon.

Again, I hope this helps and good luck!

Reactions: zovc

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Lastly, I would recommend waiting a bit in terms of hardware. I believe your 4790K will last you a good while before the next wave of CPUs. With the GPU, there could potentially be a refresh on some offerings from NVIDIA, and new offerings from AMD that could provide better performance per watt to the 980, but in a small form factor. That is if you plan on purchasing a GPU soon.

Thanks again! And yeah, my 980 smashes most of those titles. The 4790K did great in emulation, these 2670's definitely bottleneck my GPU when it comes to trying to oversample. Before the 2670's (when I was on the 4790K daily) I didn't even realize certain PS2 games (like Kingdom Hearts 2 and most of the Shin Megami Tensei games) can really bog down CPUs. GTAV is actually the game I tested 4K and ultrawide with, I don't think the 980 would have been able to rock a more demanding game at a playable rate.

Yeah, I've got time before investing in the new GPU. I might as well snipe a quality 1150 board if I can, though, I can throw my 980 and the 4790K into any case in the meantime while waiting for a S4 Mini and a swanky GPU. I did recently get a bonus that will probably burn a hole in my pocket, though. XD

I would definitely be interested in seeing if AMD did something like a 'RX 490' or like a RX Nano.

Reactions: CXH4