GPU GPU Upgrades

Rusty05

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
Aug 10, 2023
So I just bought an Optiplex 7040 sff (completely stock) and the only thing that's missing is a dedicated GPU

Here are the specs:
i7-6700
KingFast 512GB
Hynix 2x8 DDR4 SDRAM
Intel HD 530 (Desktop Skylake)
Dell 180w power supply(plan on upgrading to a 240w if needed)

1 Half-height Gen3 PCIe x16 slot
1 Half-height Gen3 PCIe x1 slot

I'm going to be using this pc mostly for gaming

I've really been looking at the Rtx a2000 6GB

I'm really looking to upgrade my GPU but if required ill upgrade my power supply.

Any input or suggestions are greatly appreciated

Reactions: Phuncz

DASBOOT

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 31, 2017
Just so everyone is clear, the OEM PS is borderline and of very very poor quality. This is Dell's main bread and butter getting cheap low-wattage ps with proprietary pin-outs at a really low wholesale cost per unit and cutting the overall machine cost down. (fewer wires, poor quality caps, no separate on of switch. There are ATX adapters for the 7040 on Amazon and ModDYI for around 14 dollars, however, the width of the machine's case would only allow an SFF PS mod to fit inside unless you went with Flex and or HDPlex Gan. I have modded 2 3650's using a 550-watt EVGA std ATX ps in both cutting a large hole at the case bottom so PS can draw air, and screw holes line perfectly but a notch for the IEC female has to be cut as well. Dremel and or sheet metal nibbler works great. The screw hole that holds the OEM 7040 PS will not line up with anything. With the HDplex you would have to make a plexy plate for IEC and to cover the original PS's larger size at the case back. (I rewired-repinned female ATX from the adapter cable to the modular PS molexes ie the split 18/10 at the evga PS.

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Just so everyone is clear, the OEM PS is borderline and of very very poor quality. This is Dell's main bread and butter getting cheap low-wattage ps with proprietary pin-outs at a really low wholesale cost per unit and cutting the overall machine cost down. (fewer wires, poor quality caps, no separate on of switch.
Thanks for the warning!