Sheet Metal Forming Question

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Ok, so this is a pretty common bend to see, where we have a flange that is flush with the edge:

side profile:

My question: How the heck are these actually manufactured? I understand the basic principle of a box and pan brake but what I'm wondering about is how a sheet would be clamped down for this. The bend line is "inside" the main sheet so how do they prevent bending the non-flange parts?

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
The bend line is "inside" the main sheet so how do they prevent bending the non-flange parts?
The 'edge' that presses into the sheet to bend it is not a single solid piece, but a series of modular replaceable 'fingers':

The 'fingers' fit into matching grooves that are also modular. By leaving a 'gap' between the fingers, you can leave parts of a sheet unbent.

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
Thanks, the images are super helpful! Looks like you need a press brake to do those kind of bends (rather than just a box&pan brake)

Reactions: ricochet

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Aibohphobia
@ImperialAlex

So I literally have been researching this because I am trying to bring manufacturing into my home for a chassis project I am entertaining, so thanks for the ask and the answer.

@Aibohphobia
@EdZ

Are you aware of a die that could fit in a small format press that is affordable? Or is it something I need to have machined?

On another note I have been looking at electrobrakes which are pretty cool and quite versatile, but embedded flanges I still can't think of away around a press.

ImperialAlex

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 2, 2016
@Josh | NFC I think the cheapest way to get a press brake into your home might be this: http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html which is a DIY kit of dies+holder that you put into a hand-cranked 20ton Harbour Freight shop press.

It's pretty ghetto and probably not a lot of fun to use, but it does look like making a case just with a box&pan brake would be pretty difficult (unless you could somehow find a way to not need any of these bends - and that's not even counting "internal" bends like most PCI slot bracket thingies are)

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC I think the cheapest way to get a press brake into your home might be this: http://www.swagoffroad.com/SWAG-Press-Brake-Kits_c_53.html which is a DIY kit of dies+holder that you put into a hand-cranked 20ton Harbour Freight shop press.

It's pretty ghetto and probably not a lot of fun to use, but it does look like making a case just with a box&pan brake would be pretty difficult (unless you could somehow find a way to not need any of these bends - and that's not even counting "internal" bends like most PCI slot bracket thingies are)

Yeah, I'm a redneck so I have a 20 ton press kitted out for making 4x4 parts and that is kinda what I was talking about. I think @EdZ and @Aibohphobia are prolly reading my post and asking themselves why I didn't read page 134 of the epic sheet metal tutorial Aibohphobia has put together. But I did. I just am trying to figure out how to live without a fancy computer controlled press with built in dial indicators and other black magic for this project...

XD

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I'm not sure if such an adapter exists unfortunately. You've got small hobby brakes for doing straight bends by hand for basic boxwork, industrial brakes for production with a wide selection of special purpose dies, and not much in-between because there's not really much call for a hobby brake able to take punches & dies that cost more than the press itself does. That SWAG press kit @ImperialAlex linked looks like the closest to a professional punch&die set at non-industrial prices, but you're limited to the smaller selection of tooling they have available. If you've already acquired a set of punches & dies, then an adapter for your existing press should be possible, the mounting profiles are standard and published (for a slow press not experiencing a lot of cycles, precision milling is probably overkill).

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanks, EdZ.

I'm actually going for a decent brake, but was thinking about adapting a small punch press for Louvers or something to that effect for the PCIE key tab. Problem is punches tend not to have enough room for that operation.

Im sure an arbor press could be modded but was hoping someone saw one designed for accepting new dies. I sure haven't.

Peace