What is the best GPU I could fit in a MC600 Case?

whum

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2017
Hello, there. I am brand new to the forums here and glad I found them!

I've been building very basic PCs for many years, but have just recently stumbled into the world of small form factor. I'm addicted, like most of you I'm sure, to running different schematics in an effort to pack as much power as I can in the smallest package, while (trying to) remaining practical. :) But I'm also a newbie to many of the terms, big names and concepts. Learning a bunch, though.

I was going to just get one of the new asrock deskmini gtx 1060 rigs. It might be more up my alley. Maybe I will still go for that once a few reviews have given the green light on temps, etc. But for now I've run a custom build with similar specs andI recently came across the logic MC600, which would save about $200 and keep the option for upgradeability open in the future.

I really like the case, and have done some research here on the forums. I see a few people have dropped the GTX 900 series GPUs in these, along with some hd plex PSUs. I've seen some very clever people cut pretty big holes in the top sheet for ventilation.

So, my question is, if you were to replace the top sheet of metal on this case with a (custom) fine mesh aluminum sheet, to maximize airflow, would there still be limitations to what I could put in this? For instance, would the new gigabyte GTX 1080 mini work in this? How about a gtx 1070? Or would say, a 1050 ti, as I recall having seen, be pushing it? I'm basically looking at other build examples, since I know the guys who have done this before are way smarter than me, so whatever they are stopping at, is what I want to stop at as well.

Ok, sorry for rambling. Just wondering, conceivably, what the most powerful GPU is that I could fit in this logic case, and I suppose what kind of PSU might work to power it?

ANY caveats, advice and caution is greatly welcomed, as I'm trying to learn all that I can before setting out on any particular build path. Ultimately, though, I want at least a mid-range VR gaming rig (seriously, not looking for cutting edge) while somehow remaining under 5-6 liters.

Reactions: AleksandarK

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Welcome to the forum.

Now, you could put a 1080 in there, but only GIGABYTEs model as Zotac is longer than the case. I dont belive the cooling would be an issue if there is enough ventilation. If you put a mesh, it will have a difference of only a few C compared to open air. HD-PLEX can easily fit next to the motherboard mounted verticaly .

If you want you can go lower in volume(3.24L) and still fit 1080 and ITX motherboard, using Custom Mod mini.

Reactions: whum and Phuncz

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Welcome to sff world..:)

QUestion you have to answer before putting any gpu in mc600 is what fo you want ? Play 1080p? Play 1440p? Play uhd/4k? Do you prefer quiet computer or you don't carr of noise?

To simplify :
  • If you want want quiet 1080p, go for gtx 1070 that is oversized but will run quieter..:)
  • If you want 1440p or uhd, go to gtx 1080 or even gtx 1080ti from zotac/gigabyte....but it will be very noisy and it will throttle..:)

Reactions: whum and Phuncz

whum

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2017
Welcome to sff world..:)

QUestion you have to answer before putting any gpu in mc600 is what fo you want ? Play 1080p? Play 1440p? Play uhd/4k? Do you prefer quiet computer or you don't carr of noise?

To simplify :
  • If you want want quiet 1080p, go for gtx 1070 that is oversized but will run quieter..:)
  • If you want 1440p or uhd, go to gtx 1080 or even gtx 1080ti from zotac/gigabyte....but it will be very noisy and it will throttle..:)

I think 1070 might be a great sweet spot, then. I am upgrading from a little NUC that runs at 68c idle and is very loud. So if I end up with another machine like that, but with the gpu power of a gtx, I will still be very happy. However, anything cooler/quieter is of course a plus. I am not looking for anything cutting edge, just something that I could do hobbyist video editing and rendering from time to time, and playing last gen. games. No crazy vr or 144hz 4k for me! Thanks!

And thanks to AleksandarK. Your answer was the answer I have been looking for for a long time on this issue. Just needed to know if it was at all possible to do a 1080, just in case.

Reactions: MarcParis

whum

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Sep 3, 2017
[QUOTE="put a mesh, it will have a difference of only a few C compared to open air. HD-PLEX can easily fit next to the motherboard mounted verticaly .

If you want you can go lower in volume(3.24L) and still fit 1080 and ITX motherboard, using Custom Mod mini.[/QUOTE]

To be honest I would love to grab a custom mod mini but I am in the USA and have no idea how to order one!

Reactions: AleksandarK

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Ahah, from where you from, even gtx 1050ti should match your needs..:)

I know it's never easy to define our own needs..:)

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
[QUOTE="put a mesh, it will have a difference of only a few C compared to open air. HD-PLEX can easily fit next to the motherboard mounted verticaly .

If you want you can go lower in volume(3.24L) and still fit 1080 and ITX motherboard, using Custom Mod mini.

To be honest I would love to grab a custom mod mini but I am in the USA and have no idea how to order one![/QUOTE]
No problem even if you are in US. See this thread