Enclosure SG05 or SG13

Joesaunders

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
I am interested in getting either the SG13 or the SG05 and would like your opinion on which one to get. Almost all the parts I have are able to fit both cases but I am still undecided on which cooler to get.

Joesaunders

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
ARCTIC Liquid Freezer 120 or the Cryorig C7 if air cooling is better for those cases. Also I have a Enermax SFX 650 PSU.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
IIRC, the SG13 supports SFX PSUs only with an adapter bracket. I forget if it's included, so check.
I use the C7 in my A4, but in my case, it's right up against the exterior vented panel. For the SG13 or 05, it would be further from fresh air, so I'd probably go with the 120 AIO mounted on the front as an intake and add maybe a thin intake fan to the top panel for ventilation onto the mobo components. Since your thinking a SFX PSU, my recollection is that you might have room for a beefier air cooler than the C7. Take a look at the SG05/13 mods on this site and places like overclock.net to get ideas and ask questions of actual owners.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I would say no contest, SG13. I feel like I just answered this question, but I've used both extensively and the SG13 is well worth the teeny extra size and the SFX PSU which is what you should be buying anyways imo. It is built better, supports longer cards, and all around just a solid update.

I recently installed 25 more of these into a VR facility and it would have been a horrible chore with the SG05, which is what I normally use for this kind of thing.

heckinwoofer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 14, 2017
My vote goes to SG13 too. Better GPU clearance, flexibility of PSU and fan size. Yes SFX PSUs are better suited for this kind of build, but they tend to be more expensive and noisier (there are some quiet ones but even more expensive).

As for the cooling, the Liquid Freezer cannot fit the SG13 with 2 fans. You can run with just one fan, but you have to crank it up to run it for the same delta temps. Id suggest you get a slightly thinner radiator AIO (<40mm) and run in push-pull. Also, if you use an ATX PSU with the Liquid Freezer, you need to kind of force and bend the tubing for a very tight fit since the tubing goes out on top of the pump. Better get an AIO which the tubing goes out from the side of the pump, or get an SFX PSU.

Joesaunders

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Dec 14, 2017
Thank you all for replying. I will be getting the SG13. Since the Liquid Freezer cannot fit, which AIO would you recommend?

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Official manual here. Overclock.net owners club here.

Silverstone suggests their own TD03 cooler (shocker!).

Not all SFX PSUs are noisy. The Corsair SF450 (assuming it meets your needs) is dead silent well into its operating range. When it does spin up, I'll wager that your GPU fans will drown it out.