Advice SG-13 cooling questions

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Hello everyone. Recently I pieced together a new PC to be my Daily Driver, toy, and workstation in preparation for the new Zen3 CPUs and Next Gen graphics cards.

The machine was built in an SG13 with:

2X16 Samsung B-Die overclocked to DDR4-3733 16-16-16-34 main timings @ 1.36V

Ryzen 3600 set at a 1:1 infinity fabric and 4.2GHz all core overclock.

RX580 overclocked to 1425MHz

While I wouldn't recommend anyone else build the machine I have in the PC Parts Picker list I wanted something fun to do that could lay the ground work for the new product lines and parts have constantly been out of stock in 2020 ...

Was really hoping the 4000 series APUs would be available by now so I could repurpose it in my ASRock A300 but switching to the 3600 and RX580 turned out to be a blessing. Originally when I was testing the GPU for a stable OC 1450MHz was achieved without issue. However when I stress tested the CPU with BOINC and had 3D Mark TimeSpy stress testing the GPU at the same time the system started overheating and it wasn't possible to keep everything stable, using all the components at high utilization, with the current airflow configuration.

So I need to fix this before feeling comfortable putting in a new Ryzen 9 4000 series CPU...

Would some of you kindly bounce some ideas around with me?

1) power supply - in the SG13 is it better to have the Power Supply facing up to draw in fresh air OR facing down to help pull hot air out of the system?

I am debating flipping the power supply to exhaust hot air and provide a shelf for additional storage if needed. Pumping hot air through the PSU just seems like a bad idea though :/ I've seen people do it but this would be my first time.

This was kinda discussed here:

But the upgraded configuration, with higher TDP parts, will be pumping out much more heat. If I can't keep the current setup cool I may need to scrap that upgrade path instead of burning out the parts.

2) Side Exhaust Fan - I feel like this is a mandatory case mode. What's the best way to mount a fan to the side exhaust port? Right now to get the AIO in place the tubing is to close to the side vent, any tricks on routing the AIO tubing?

3) There is a gap at the top of the case next to the PSU that two NF-A 4x10 or 4X20 could be secured to. Would it be worth doing? Anyone ever use those in a daily build? What are the noise levels like if you have?

Any other thoughts/suggestions are welcome :)

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
For this type of case fan up for air cooler and fan down for AIO in order to help cool your motherboard. With your current PSU the fan probably isn't running most of the time so don't expect a big difference.

Reactions: ShamedGod

ldance6

Case Bender
New User
Jul 29, 2020
I have an SG13 that had a R5 3600 and XFX RX 590 Fatboy in it.
The side fan is a must for sure.
I'd do an AIO as well with the PSU fan down(the fan on my SF600 never really runs, hence the need for the side fan).
I thought about doing what you're saying with the two A4x10s but it just wasn't worth it for me. My R5 3600 idles at ~35C and max temps under load maybe 70C but more likely 60C. I do have a unique setup on my aio(Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120) I have a slim Noctua 120 and a Arctic 120 push-pull setup on the radiator. It's a super tight fit, but cools well.

Reactions: ShamedGod

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
I have an SG13 that had a R5 3600 and XFX RX 590 Fatboy in it.
The side fan is a must for sure.
I'd do an AIO as well with the PSU fan down(the fan on my SF600 never really runs, hence the need for the side fan).
I thought about doing what you're saying with the two A4x10s but it just wasn't worth it for me. My R5 3600 idles at ~35C and max temps under load maybe 70C but more likely 60C. I do have a unique setup on my aio(Arctic Liquid Freezer II 120) I have a slim Noctua 120 and a Arctic 120 push-pull setup on the radiator. It's a super tight fit, but cools well.

I see you flipped the radiator position to the inside as compared to my placement. Did you have an issue with the AIO tubing rubbing against the GPU?

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
Definitely don't like having the AIO tubing facing the GPU BUT flipping the PSU upside down and adding an exhaust fan resolved the issue.

ldance6

Case Bender
New User
Jul 29, 2020
I see you flipped the radiator position to the inside as compared to my placement. Did you have an issue with the AIO tubing rubbing against the GPU?
The LF II is definitely not meant for most SFF cases, I did whatever I could to make it fit. And Issues as far as temps or what?

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
The LF II is definitely not meant for most SFF cases, I did whatever I could to make it fit. And Issues as far as temps or what?

The tubing on my AIO is pushing slightly against the GPU. That's not ideal but with out twisting it around the tubing would interfere with the exhaust fan. Definitely had to mess with it a bit to get everything to fit. So far the system stays cool and stable but the GPU puts out so much heat with the case cover on the CPU climbed to 80C after an hour of 100% GPU and CPU stress testing.

I was able to keep the fan curve below 3000 RPM on the GPU to keep it between 74C and 75C.

How often is everything going to be running at 100% though? I figure if it's stable after that it's good for now.

Still have concerns about upgrading.

ShamedGod

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Apr 21, 2019
I added the single 4x10mm fan I had on hand and am buying another one to help exhaust out the top. The GPU gets so hot, and the fans spin so fast/loud, that I dropped the clocks down... Otherwise DDR4-3733 @ 16-16-16-16-32 @ 1.37v with the EXACT timings in the ryzen memory calculator with the CPU all core of 4.3GHz @ 1.30v is Stable with all the test I threw at it.

For anyone curious.

I updated the PC Parts Picker link with photos of settings and benchmark results.