Enclosure [SFFn] Raijintek's Ophion Evo - Tempered Glass, RGB, but SFF!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
At 20 litres, the Raijintek Ophion Evo just hits the limit of SFF volume, but it offers a lot to entice Large Form Factor (LFF) fans to the right side of PC building - our SFF world. From satisfying the current trend of RGB and tempered glass, to the ability to mount fairly high end hardware, the chassis is a taste of SFF for the masses.

We had a quick look at the Ophion and Ophion Evo at Computex 2018, now it's time to look deeper at the Ophion Evo. Ophion was an elder Titan god in Greek mythology, ruling the Earth - lets see if the Raijintek chassis lives up to the name.

Read more here.

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
Here's another question: How many 2.5" drives does the non-Evo support? A YouTube review of the two claims only one for the lower model, which could be a show stopper for me. PS: I am on slow, in-the-boonies Internet here. My cellular connection is hanging on for dear life with nigh dial-up speeds. So my apologies for delayed responses.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@greyhound Without having a D5 pump to hand, I can't confirm. However, with measurements found via Google-fu, I'm going to say no, sorry.

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Looks like both the Type A and Type C ports are running off the 19pin header... John, if it's convenient, do you think you can test the Type C functionality? We had some supplier tell us they couldn't do both a Type C and Type A off the 19pin. Ideally, test that the Type C and Type A both operate concurrently, and also that the Type C operates in either orientation (since it should be reversible).

Reactions: Soul_Est

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Necere
Can confirm the following;

Type-C works in both orientations (tested with flash drive)
Both work at same time (same header, USB 3 2.5" HDD to ensure heavy power draw)

Transferred files from one to the other to ensure that yes, both work at the same time.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
@Necere, I'm concerned you've been told otherwise :( I hope there aren't suppliers out there spreading bad info :/

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Yeah, I'm not sure. It may have just been that specific supplier that couldn't or wouldn't. This is second-hand information via w360 - he's the one that talks to suppliers. It's possible there was some miscommunication there as well.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
Looks like both the Type A and Type C ports are running off the 19pin header... John, if it's convenient, do you think you can test the Type C functionality? We had some supplier tell us they couldn't do both a Type C and Type A off the 19pin. Ideally, test that the Type C and Type A both operate concurrently, and also that the Type C operates in either orientation (since it should be reversible).
I'm studying USB protocol for my thesis (currently doing) because I need to design a USB Hub with Power Delivery 2.0 through USB-C connector... Upgrading a USB 3.0/3.1 port to go through a USB-C connector is not a problem, as long as you provide a controller for this job and a MUX for taking care of double orientation for each port you want to upgrade (USB-A to USB-C)...

Just for example, you can have this "chain" of chips:
- your USB source, in this case that 19 pin, which provide 2 USB stream
- a MUX to select lines for USB-C orientation such as the Texas Instruments TUSB542
- a controller such as the STMicroelectronics STUSB4710 (if you need Power Delivery 2.0 - e.g max 100W through a cable) to address cable orientation (a line goes to MUX select pin) and Power delivery (if needed).

Cheaper solution may be the Microchip UTC2000. Still addresses cable orientation but doesn't provide as much power as the STUSB4710... Cheaper solution may be also possible but I haven't investigated so far as I need Power Delivery 2.0.

Anyway, Power Delivery adds complexity also because you have to provide DC-DC step-down converter to address differents Vdd (20V-15V-12V-9V-5V)... Except for complexity and higher BOM, there isn't any problem to upgrade a USB-A to a USB-C... Also, if you need video output from that USB-C... That obviously adds to the BOM... But for a simple USB-C with only data, upgrading from USB-A is a "kid play"

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I'm studying USB protocol for my thesis (currently doing) because I need to design a USB Hub with Power Delivery 2.0 through USB-C connector... Upgrading a USB 3.0/3.1 port to go through a USB-C connector is not a problem, as long as you provide a controller for this job and a MUX 2:1 for taking care of double orientation for each port you want to upgrade (USB-A to USB-C)...

Just for example, you can have this "chain" of chips:
- your USB source, in this case that 19 pin, which provide 2 USB stream
- a MUX 1:2 to double lines for USB-C implementation such as the Texas Instruments TUSB542
- a controller such as the STMicroelectronics STUSB4710 (if you need Power Delivery 2.0 - e.g max 100W through a cable) to address cable orientation (a line goes to MUX select pin) and Power delivery (if needed).

Cheaper solution may be the Microchip UTC2000. Still addresses cable orientation but doesn't provide as much power as the STUSB4710... Cheaper solution may be also possible but I haven't investigated so far as I need Power Delivery 2.0.

Anyway, Power Delivery adds complexity also because you have to provide DC-DC step-down converter to address different Vdd (20V-15V-12V-9V-5V)... Except for complexity and higher BOM, there isn't any problem to upgrade a USB-A to a USB-C... Also, if you need video output from that USB-C... That obviously adds to the BOM... But for a simple USB-C with only data, upgrading from USB-A is a "kid play"
Interesting... so it sounds like you do need some additional electronics integrated into the USB cable for it to work - you can't just use a simple cable anymore for Type C. That may be why the supplier couldn't do it.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
yep! It's not strictly a requirement, but by not adding additional electronics you are losing features implementable on that USB-C. In my opinion, USB-C is currently a mess, because with the same "name", you can have very different implementations... Some are 2.0, some are 3.1, some supports Power Delivery, some Thunderbolt 3... It's just a connection, but understanding which feature supports may be a little bit hard... In future, it may be the jack of all trades, as everything may support everything with a single package... but now... You have to check!

This article may be useful/interesting: Converting Existing USB Design to supports USB type-C Connections :)

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
It is a mess, and it doesn't help that the new motherboard header for front panel Type C hasn't seen widespread adoption. People keep asking for Type C on cases, but without motherboard support the only option is to put it on the 19pin, assuming you want to actually use it today. That's not very future proof, though.

Halfdan

Average Stuffer
Sep 5, 2015
So this is just a bigger version of the Dan case? From the pictures it looks like this only supports one two slot card (e.g. a GPU) or two single slot cards. It's not possible to have a single slot card and a dual slot GPU card at the same time?

Edit: nevermind. I just realized this only supports ITX, for some reason I just assumed it would be micro-ATX at least.

Last edited: