SFF Workshop - It's a thing! It's alive!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Yep, this is the main discussion thread for SFF Workshop, I so decree.

My childrens' PCs at present are;
InWin Chopin
AMD FM2+ A10-7850K
Gigabyte F2A88XN-Wifi ITX board
8GB RAM
120GB 2.5" SSD
Noctua NH-L9i

and

InWin BL 641 (11.5L)
AMD Athlon 860K
Gigabyte GTX750TI LP
Asrock A88M-G/3.1
8GB RAM
120GB 2.5" SSD
Noctua NH-L9x65

Each has a gaming mouse, mechanical keyboard and a HD monitor :) I'd like to get them both into DeskMini A300's though!

Me going to Computex is dependant on a lot - it's not a cheap trip and with me going it alone, it has to be funded by myself, pretty much. I don't think SFFw is big enough to justify opening a Patreon, yet.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Yep, this is the main discussion thread for SFF Workshop, I so decree.

My childrens' PCs at present are;
InWin Chopin
AMD FM2+ A10-7850K
Gigabyte F2A88XN-Wifi ITX board
8GB RAM
120GB 2.5" SSD
Noctua NH-L9i

and

InWin BL 641 (11.5L)
AMD Athlon 860K
Gigabyte GTX750TI LP
Asrock A88M-G/3.1
8GB RAM
120GB 2.5" SSD
Noctua NH-L9x65

Each has a gaming mouse, mechanical keyboard and a HD monitor :) I'd like to get them both into DeskMini A300's though!

Me going to Computex is dependant on a lot - it's not a cheap trip and with me going it alone, it has to be funded by myself, pretty much. I don't think SFFw is big enough to justify opening a Patreon, yet.
Would the Vega iGPU in an APU be better than the 750Ti? DeskMini can't do MXM, can it?

Reactions: el01

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
You're correct - but the 750Ti is sorely wasted in the PC, it's there because the system had no IGP and it was the only spare LP card i had on hand.

But;
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-750-Ti-vs-AMD-RX-Vega-11-Ryzen-iGPU/2187vsm401440

Current gen APUs can be on par with the 750Ti :)
And so we continue to beseech our gracious APU sovereigns for yet more fiefs in the great land of SFFendia. Here's hoping that 1050/1060 level APUs will be possible in the next generation.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I tell myself that if I had a bigger desk, I'd have enough room for everything. Let's be honest: it just means there'd be more clutter across a bigger space.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
I plan on trying to delineate the work surface to avoid clutter, but you're right, it'll probably end up being cluttered :p

hahahahahahaha..... *looks at other table* *cries*

During a hurricane scare here in Hawaii (while my family was taking my younger brother up to college), I moved desks from a small rolling table in a lower lying part of the house to my brother's permanent wood desk. Some of his old clutter was still there (and still is) but I felt like a king. Then, the stuff started piling up. I suppose I should take a day to clean.

Meanwhile (and slightly more on topic), my sister is building herself a wooden organizer out of some plywood and a piece of reclaimed something or the other (it's a lovely, organic slab). She's quite the craftswoman and it's coming together quite nicely. That's right up my (recently retired) dad's alley, so they've been having some good father-daughter bonding over that one. Meanwhile, I'm the only one left with a normal day job (speaking of which, I should get on back to that).

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Updates!

Videos have been delayed due to the weather, work, and the fact that I badly strained my back at my day job.

I'm currently working on a review of the ASRock deskmini a300. This will turn into a build series on the channel though- a mobile workstation for Computex!

The desk is finished!

As always, join me in our Discord, link in my signature.

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018

Not 100% happy with this video - but it's the final of the desk build.
Nothing to be real sorry about. The angles and shots are nice. Your on-camera presence was composed and well-spoken (how were you recording your voice? It wasn't your Yeti was it?)

Reactions: confusis

annasoh323

Master of Cramming
Apr 4, 2018
Huh, neat. Things sounded pretty good. Might look into that - I, too, would like to know of a good shotgun-type mic for portable room recording.

Reactions: confusis

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Just a reminder, our Discord channel is active, fun, and we also have a Minecraft server* for people to play on, that is linked with the chat! (also, IRC for the old hands).

Also, many leaks of upcoming projects happen in there, as well as the discussion of future, yet to be planned content ideas :)

*approved persons only - don't just pop on Discord and ask for access.

Reactions: annasoh323

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
Just a reminder, our Discord channel is active, fun, and we also have a Minecraft server* for people to play on, that is linked with the chat! (also, IRC for the old hands).

Also, many leaks of upcoming projects happen in there, as well as the discussion of future, yet to be planned content ideas :)

*approved persons only - don't just pop on Discord and ask for access.

It's lit.

Unless @j0rd goes crazy. XD