SFF Newbie - Looking for advice and suggestions

cptwhite

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Hi all,

I''ve been building desktops for over 20 years, and through channels like Optimum Tech I've become interested in the idea of building myself a budget SFF PC I can throw in a bag. I know it's a very niche hobby and costs can sky rocket, but my aims are to build a capable but cost effective and ultra small PC for gaming @ 1080p + 144Hz

I'm already buying parts for the build, but before I go any further want to hear recommendations. I don't want there to be any need for physical modding of the case or components. I love the idea of the Skyreach S4 Mini using the HDPLEX 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX or similar, but I'm not sure exactly how that works or what to order, it's all a little unclear to me, and I feel I need someone to guide me through that. Also the S4 Mini is probably out of my price bracket anyway. The Velka 3 sounds good, but the noise from the Flex ATX PSU in Optimum Tech's video put me off this type of PSU.

I like the idea of vertically stacked case to minimise the footprint, but ideally I probably want an SFX sized PSU for ease of use and noise considerations. I'm open to using the DPLEX 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX if someone can guide me through it's setup and link what I'd need.

Velka 5 therefore is the front runner, but I'm not keen on the cables exiting the top of the case and the build quality seems a little lacking (thinking of the corner detail on Optimum Tech's review) when compared the the Dan A4 or Ncase M1.

Therefore my preferences for the case are:

Vertical footprint (either console style, or vertical sandwich config.)
Support for SFX PSU
Cost effective
Aluminium or steel build - don't want acrylic. Aluminium is my preference to reduce weight.
Option of a handle would be great
Good build quality

I have been working my way through this list:

..but my current pick is still the Velka 5, it would be the Sentry 2.0, but I guess that's going to be near impossible to find and prohibitively expensive. The Raven RVZ02 is also a decent build option, but it's larger than I want my SFF PC to be, ideally.

So here's where I'm at:

Case:
PSU:
Motherboard: Asus H310i-Plus r2.0 @ £40 (2nd hand)
CPU: Intel i3 9100F @ £70
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-L9i @ £35
SSD: 256Gb NVME SSD M.2 2230 @ £32 (2nd hand)
GPU: AMD R9 Nano @ £80 (2nd hand)
RAM: 2x 8GB 3000Mhz G.Skill Aegis@ £50

Total cost = £307 + Case + PSU

I'd love some suggestions for the case and PSU, the smaller the better.

Last edited:

cptwhite

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
Liking the look of the M69 case and PSU combo, as shown in this thread:

Trying to order through the Taobao website is impossible, any help?!

Last edited:

larkmaj

Trash Compacter
Nov 26, 2019
In the optimum tech video he used a 400W FSP power supply with an RTX 2070. The RTX 2070 looks to have the same TDP as your R9 Nano, so I'd expect a similar noise from that PSU in your build. However, if you go for the 600W Enhance you'll probably get significantly reduced noise. I like my Velka 3 for size and power, but I"m still waiting on my PSU. Currently running an ATX psu externally while I wait for my Enhance.

For the S4M you'll need an AC-DC which would probably either be the internal HDPLEX one, which I've read is difficult to fit, or a brick like the Dell 330W. Not sure how your power draw will stack up to 330W.

cptwhite

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Dec 22, 2019
1660 Performance, with 2070 power consumption, that's what 4 years power efficiency improvements does for you. Still I can't complain for £80, the whole build is likely going to cost around the same as an RTX 2070 on it's own, about £400 or thereabouts.