SFF.Network [SFF Network] SilverStone SX800-LTI - 800W Titanium SFX-L!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the course of research for the Lian Li PE-750 review, I ending up checking the UL manufacturer directory listing for SilverStone and noticed references to a SX800-LTI. As I went over in the SX700-LPT review, according to SilverStone's current SFF PSU nomenclature, the "SX800-LTI" model number translates to a 800W SFX-L Titanium-rated fully-modular power supply.

Curious if this was real I contacted Tony Ou, SilverStone's marketing manager, and even though he's busy with Computex, he replied that it is indeed real, they announced it today, and it will (hopefully) be available in Q4 this year!

Read more here.

Dec 28 Update: Review here

Last edited:
Reactions: iFreilicht and EdZ

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
Not in the PSU, but they have modular connectors for small thermoelectric plates that you put between the CPU/GPU and their heatsink. I wonder how much power you could actually generate from that, given something like a 65W CPU and a 150W GPU at 100% load.
Assuming a die running at 80° and a 20°C ambient (i.e. a 60K delta-T), then a super-awesome TEG might give you around 4% efficiency, or 6W from your 150W GPU. Of course, the extra thermal resistance of the TEG would mean you GPU would be throttling itself heavily to avoid overheating, so the practical power would be even lower.
Any situation where you want to harvest energy from waste heat gets beaten vigorously with the TANSTAAFL stick.

Last edited:

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Any bets on the price? I'm thinking $180-$190.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That sounds reasonable with the SX700-LPT at 150$. I'm mostly curious when Silverstone honestly believes these will be available at retail.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
According to Bit-Tech it'll be under $200: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2016/06/04/computex-2016-day-3/7

BTW, anyone recognize the fan in this pic from SweClockers of the SX800-LTI prototype at Computex?

I'm wondering if it's the default Enhance Electronics fan since the PE-750 units in the Lian Li booth seem to use the same fan while the retails units use one like is in the SX700-LPT and SX500-LG.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It's most likely indeed the default Enhance Electronics fan, the SX500-LG also had the terribly looking GlobeFan fan with the first prototype reveal, that was later replaced when the production model was nearing completion.

Hermit2001

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2016
So Tony Ou has confirmed that this unit will have cable compatibility with other units, which begs the question whether the 4-wire sense cable is necessary.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
So Tony Ou has confirmed that this unit will have cable compatibility with other units

Neat, where did you hear that?

which begs the question whether the 4-wire sense cable is necessary.

It must not be strictly required then. I emailed Tony and apparently Lian Li piggybacked off SilverStone's work with Enhance to develop the platform and got a unit based off it to market quicker by using a lower wattage and efficiency rating. He also confirmed that the SX800-LTI would have that 4-pin connector that's split off the 24-pin cable.

I found in my review of the PE-750 that the pinouts all matched SilverStone's modular PSUs and that it would turn on without that 4-pin connector plugged in.

So my assumption then is that the extra 4-pin improves voltage regulation but you could use cables without it at the expense of slightly worse regulation.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I wonder whether they will release a new cable set with the sense ability.

The SX800-LTI would come with a new cable for the 24-pin but it won't be compatible with any current SilverStone power supplies since they don't have the connector.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
It must not be strictly required then. I emailed Tony and apparently Lian Li piggybacked off SilverStone's work with Enhance to develop the platform and got a unit based off it to market quicker by using a lower wattage and efficiency rating.
He also accused other brands like Scythe, Sharkoon and Chieftec of piggybacking on "Silverstone's work" with High Power for the SX500-LG. Silverstone must be very bad at making production deals and include the most simple exclusivity if they let this happen again or Tony Ou makes this stuff up.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
If I recall his complaint about the SX500-LG was some of the other companies took advantage of the work SilverStone did in finding a better fan than the stock High Power one.

I'm not familiar with how the agreements between user-facing companies and PSU OEMs are typically done so I'm not sure what's going on there.

Hermit2001

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2016
So the SX700-LPT has a peak power if 750W. Anyone heard whether this beast will be able to push 50W over its max to 850W ?

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've not heard anything. Things like peak power usually aren't mentioned until the product is finalized.

Cutie DarkFae

Caliper Novice
May 18, 2016
For a while NASA was working on printing micro sterling engines directly in silicon wafers, as their current RTG (Radioisotope Thermal Generators, basically a lump of plutonium decaying normally, wrapped in TEC's) is stupidly inefficient :( I haven't heard anything about it for a while, I'd love to plate a PSU in those :)

Reactions: Phuncz

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Modern PSUs are pretty efficient though while CPUs and GPUs basically convert all the power they consume into waste heat.

So obviously the solution is to make a case out of those with a 150W PSU to jump start the system :p

Hermit2001

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2016
I've not heard anything. Things like peak power usually aren't mentioned until the product is finalized.
You know your stuff, just got a message back to that effect:
"...we cannot confirm at the moment, because the production haven´t (sic) started, and it could be that we will do some changes."

Reactions: jeshikat

Hermit2001

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2016
Production starting this month. Should start to become available in December, but I imagine shipping will take ~1month to Europe.

Reactions: Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
1 month for Europe ? I sure hope so, the SX700-LPT has only been available reasonably in Europe for less than two months from what I've seen. That's about 4 months later, so I hope this doesn't become April 2017.

Status
Not open for further replies.